Scenery priority?

Merlin0859

I know this has probably been asked a thousand times but I can't find a direct answer so here goes again. In FSX does it read the sceneries from top to bottom or vice versa? Is the first entry labeled number one the highest or lowest priority?

I have flown in FSX for years, added a few airports here and there but that's been about it. Many planes not so much scenery other than GEX in a few regions. I recently started looking at landclass a bit to dress it up and here's where the questions started. Some of my airports have landclass of there own and I'd like them to still display properly. Thanks for any help on the matter. :)

It depends where you read it from. If you are reading from the user interface in the sim itself, top is highest priority, as zippy says.

If however you are reading from the scenery.cfg directly, using notepad or wordpad from outside the sim, then entries will appear reversed, with the `last installed/highest priority` being at the bottom.

Landclass will normally need to be manually moved to below addon airports and sceneries as they form part of the base layer upon which addons are overlaid. Usually the landclass will have a readme file to tell you where to move the entry to but if not, I would put it immediately above all default scenery entries, but below everything else.

Thanks guys for the simple answers to what I'm sure was an old question. Probably explains my confusion mallcot about top to bottom. Thing is Fairbanks is the only North American airport I have as an add on. Looks better on top of the Scenerytech landclass as well. Although admittedly with all the snow up there it was hard to tell. Thanks again to both of you!

Be aware though, if you're having other "conflicts", that there is also a priority of files within scenery folders themselves. I believe they're read and rendered according to alphanumeric sort. There's a link of an article Jon Masterson put together really ADE on this. I don't have it right now but can root around to find it.

ian

I can't recall where I read this, and it was regarding FS9 scenery, but I think it's still applicable in FSX. The landclass folders must go, when looking at the folders in the Sim's Scenery Library window, at the bottom most area, directly above the two Default Scenery folders. IE: Starting at being #3. The two default scenery folders are #1 , so landcalss folders would be #3, #4 and so on. It's always worked for me, anyway. They take more than a few mouse clicks to get them all the way down there, but it seems to work well.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

I can't recall where I read this, and it was regarding FS9 scenery, but I think it's still applicable in FSX. The landclass folders must go, when looking at the folders in the Sim's Scenery Library window, at the bottom most area, directly above the two Default Scenery folders. IE: Starting at being #3. The two default scenery folders are #1 , so landcalss folders would be #3, #4 and so on. It's always worked for me, anyway. They take more than a few mouse clicks to get them all the way down there, but it seems to work well.

Pat☺

The only "rule" is that landclass respects priority in the Scenery Library.

It can be anywhere as long as it is above any other landclass for the same geographical region.

It works for you because the default landclass is in ...\Scenery\Base, which is the next to bottom entry in the Scenery Library.

It would work just as well at the top of the Scenery Library.

Priority in the Scenery Library only comes into play when comparing multiple entries of the same type of scenery elements.

Where you put your landclass has no impact on where you put your mesh, and vice versa, as an example.

The general consensus is that regional scenery should be just above the default scenery.

Above that would be local scenery.

Following that procedure, if you have addon landclass for the whole United States just above the default scenery, and an addon for an airport that has custom landclass above that, everything should work as desired.

The possible fault in putting addon landclass as low as Pat suggest is that some devs put scenery exclusion files in with their landclass and having those exclusions below the default scenery might cause problems.

IMO, the only addon files that belong below the default files are airport elevation adjustment "stub afcads" that go into ...\Scenery\World\scenery.

Traffic files can go in that folder also.

If you get tired of clicking on the Down button in the Scenery Library, try this.

Click on it once, then hold down the "D" key on your keyboard.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

If you get tired of clicking on the Down button in the Scenery Library, try this.

Click on it once, then hold down the "D" key on your keyboard.

peace,

the Bean

What a wonderful bit of info!! I sometimes feel my wrist or fingers are going to fall off from all that clicking! And I've never seen that info before.

Thank you Mr. Bean!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Yes, thank you Mr. Bean. I am glad to be corrected when in error, believe me. It happens so often... :rolleyes:

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Logically, if Down is the D key, I would take a wag that U is the for UP. Of course, knowing Microsoft, it's probably the hardest 3-key combo there is to hit ever. Something like SFHT+ALT+F12 or something... :rolleyes:

I would still guess U though. I'll let ya know :)

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you look at the GUI you will see one letter on each button is underlined.

This is typical "Windows-speak" for a keystroke shortcut.

Works pretty much the same as the Menu Bar in most any Windows program.

We can do almost anything in Windows with the keyboard, no mouse required. :cool:

peace,

the Bean

Oh yeah, "U" works for up

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

We can do almost anything in Windows with the keyboard, no mouse required. :cool:

peace,

the Bean

It seems like it was just last week when you could do everything with the keyboard. No mouse installed or desired! For doing actual work I still prefer that method.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

peace,

the Bean

Cool.

Thanks,

Cheers,

And you were planning on retiring... Fat chance.

Thanks,

MAB

I was being facetious.

And yes, there's no "planning" about it. I AM retired, on disability. And not some faked up, BS one either.

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived