OOMs exist in P3D??

alexzar14

This is something that I always wondered about...

FSX with DX10 fixer no longer has OOMs, the DX10 fixer somehow reloads/regenerates VAS. Yes, you will still have the OOM if your FTX Vector is maxed and your ASN settings are high etc, but PMDG users don't max out the settings anyway.

Arriving to any FSDT/Aerosoft airport with PMDG 777, even EGLL, (Vector most settings checked off, ASN 3 layers of clouds, FSX settings at about 80% max, traffic 20%) I have 800MB remaining, 600 if the weather is very weathery.

So I thought a lot had to do with DX9 here, but P3D is DX11 which logically thinking should not have OOMs at all.... this is what I do not get. This is what cares me in P3D, I don't have OOMs in FSX with DX10 but I will have it in P3D?

Another thing is many people who report OOMs in P3D don't even use FTX Vector, which again... Where do these OOMs come from then?? Why is it to OOMy?

OK, I have been trying to find an answer to this all day, here is what I found. FroogleSim on YouTube said something about V3 being smart enough to clear old data out of RAM for scenery when flying all over the globe on long haul stuff , even with a lot of third party airports. See his video entitled "P3D V3 first impressions" or something similar to that on his channel. It isn't hard to miss. He said he hadn't crashed it to OOM as of that date but there is still a question in my mind.

As far as myself, I have looked at a lot of videos and since I am a student and can get it for $60.00 I am going to do it. My only concern is if drivers are out for Windows 10 for my old Saitek Yoke an d Stick and throttle (forgot what their called). I doubt they're even supported anymore.

OOMs were never solely related to the version of DirectX being used. DX10 and later can help lower VAS usage, but other things like photoreal scenery, meshes and detailed aircraft and airports etc. can still push VAS usage up. There is also still the limit due to being a 32 bit program as well. And then there is always the issue of a poorly designed or improperly installed add-on that can cause problems. P3D has come a long ways in fixing and optimising the ESP engine, however, there is still a long ways to go. Many have reported not having OOMs after the v3 upgrade, but unfortunately there are still some reports of OOM errors out there.

OOMs were never solely related to the version of DirectX being used. DX10 and later can help lower VAS usage, but other things like photoreal scenery, meshes and detailed aircraft and airports etc. can still push VAS usage up. There is also still the limit due to being a 32 bit program as well. And then there is always the issue of a poorly designed or improperly installed add-on that can cause problems. P3D has come a long ways in fixing and optimising the ESP engine, however, there is still a long ways to go. Many have reported not having OOMs after the v3 upgrade, but unfortunately there are still some reports of OOM errors out there.

Forget the hype! That's all it is! As long as we're doing the same things with the same 32bit system, most things will still be the same.

I bought P3D and said "OK where's the improvement I thought I just bought?" If I were you, I'd keep my cash in my pocket till a true 64 bit FS comes out. And someone else has time to debug it!

Converting to 64 bit is going to cost everyone a bunch. But I hope it will be worth it. Knowing then what I know now, I'd have not wasted my time, energy, & CASH on another 32 bit program including P3D!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Moving to 64 bit without doing anything else would just be masking the underlying problems that cause OOM errors, and just delay their onset. It is no magic bullet. LM has been working on fixing the root causes of the errors, among other fixes, and will likely move to 64 bit at some point. Better to do it with a cleaned up code base rather than one with underlying problems.

Wrong way round.

L-M have done much to reduce VAS and to allow release of unneeded VAS, but if the developers of the addons have done nothing to reduce VAS requirements or match the new internal setup, then yes, eventually OOM's can - will - occur.

The solution is not to install such addons and to demand the developers rationalise and refine their products. optimised for the P3D environment.

P3D does NOT OOM by default.

I understand the root of a problem is a 32bit sim, MS sold us a car with a steam engine requiring coal burning.

But, comparing the same conditions in/under FSX/DX10 and P3D (PMDG, FSDT, optimized FTX Vector (perhaps no Vector at all), balanced ASN settings, low 512MB resolution REX textures), or whatever settings which no longer cause the OOMs in FSX, shouldn't cause it in P3D either, no? I shouldn't have OOMs in P3D where I don't have it in FSX - please confirm or say it isn't so.

I like and spend more time in X-Plane and to fly PMDG I would like a more modern sim than this Microsoft's "FORD MODEL - T", but not if it OOMs where FSX/DX10 does not.

As for P3D 64bit, this is not a deciding factor to wait because nothing made for P3D 32bit will work in P3D 64bit, we'll have to wait years for PMDG to update their planes (at the rate it takes to produce and release add ons today, forget it).

Ok will watch the video by froogle.

The simple copout is to blame 32bit which is technically correct. Given the right circumstances, ANY program can be made to OOM. LM has eliminated OOM's in the default product. They have severely reduced the occurrence of OOM's using add ons but you cannot blame LM for a user that loads the sim with add on after addon.

Compared to this time last year, the incidence of reported OOM's has almost disappeared.

Do not let that issue deter you from switching to P3D.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

I already did switch :)

See my posts above please and share your suggestions on concerns addressed.

I love it so far but I hope that a consequent loading it with FTX or UTX/GTX stuff will not compromise the performance and increase the chances for OOMs.

Bottomline is, each has to decide for him self when he wants to leave his comfortable cave for the modern (newer anyway) private house. I made this decision and I think I am not coming back to the cave again (unless P3D won't run well with FTX OpenLCs).

I love it so far but I hope that a consequent loading it with FTX or UTX/GTX stuff will not compromise the performance and increase the chances for OOMs.

You have just defined the major cause for OOM's.

SO, if you load it enough, you will get one. You won't get one in normal use so you are in control.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

See my posts above please and share your suggestions on concerns addressed.

Bottomline is, each has to decide for him self when he wants to leave his comfortable cave for the modern (newer anyway) private house. I made this decision and I think I am not coming back to the cave again (unless P3D won't run well with FTX OpenLCs).

I've not had a single problem with FTX Global and the OpenLC's. I HAVE worked on a number of P3D-based platforms that have had issues with VAS using FTX Global Vector. I have NOT had the same issues using a sandwich of FTX Global, OpenLC, and the Ultimate Terrain Europe and USA products. I HAVE been able to find compromise settings for users who won't substitute Global Vector for UTX.

As you say, bottom line is EVERY sim user who uses P3D should accept that they themselves have ultimate responsibility for what they install in their systems, do extensive research before installing, ALWAYS have an exit strategy and accept that the risk is theirs.

Developers could do so much more, but as the issue with 3.2.2 and 3.2.3 has seriously exposed, L-M pay nothing more than lip service to the aftermarket developers, so it is also the case that the sim changes without any reference whatsoever to the developers they endorse on their website, never mind the rest.

Caveat Emptor. If one chooses to play in the Big Boys pool, learn to swim.

VAS is ok, I flew PMDG 737 EGLL-LFMN (all Aerosoft), then loaded Airbus-X while still at the gate, and flew back to EHAM (ASoft), landed with 1.3GB remaining.

Flying PMDG 777 to EGLL will bring it down to 700MB, and this is withOUT Vector/UTX installed, so this may be worrysome, but it is the fault of EGLL developers, horribly optimized airport.

Then I flew the 777 EHAM to KLAX overnight and landed with 1.25GB which is great.

Distance doesn't matter, matters the scenery optimization. Now I got the UTX and I hope it won't eat more than 200MB, 60% features enabled.

Sometimes when you are flying something heavy on resources, you need to adjust settings for that flight. For example, if you are flying across the pond at 33000 feet, you really don't need heavy autogen and great detail. Turn those sliders down.

Vic

P3D Rig

• 2 weeks later...
Sometimes when you are flying something heavy on resources, you need to adjust settings for that flight. For example, if you are flying across the pond at 33000 feet, you really don't need heavy autogen and great detail. Turn those sliders down.

Vic

Good advice Vic, especially in posts #12 & #15 Vic. 32bit is still 32 bit and for the time being we must all learn to live within the 32 bit capabilities. And that underlying fact is true with the LM products as well as the Microsoft products. IMHO It's useless to try to compare products that have the same hugely outdated antique "32 bit motor."

Let's hear it for the early arrival of a solid 64 bit FS product!! Market it and I'll buy it! I don't care what the brand name is!

And yes, I know all my 32 bit software will be obsolete with 64 bit. The fact is, what we're using today is already way obsolete. So why buy more till the new stuff comes out?

Let's hear it for the early arrival of a solid 64 bit FS product!! Market it and I'll buy it! I don't care what the brand name is!

And yes, I know all my 32 bit software will be obsolete with 64 bit. The fact is, what we're using today is already way obsolete. So why buy more till the new stuff comes out?

What about X-Plane? It is 64 bit. Recommended system specs are 16 to 20 Gigabyte RAM. I think there even is an addon that claims 16 Gigabyte as minimum system requirements.

Yes but what does X-Plane DO with 64-bit...?

Seems like the back end of bugger all, judged by the quality of display, textures, systems and overall fidelity. P3D still trounces it in almost all physical aspects. Almost all.

• 3 weeks later...
Last time I tried it, XPlane used all 64 bits to paint trees everywhere on a major US airport runway. That's the last time it'll ever be installed on my system.

I never say never, but when will X-Plane match P3D, even without 64-bit..?

Never

The pace of evolution of P3D eclipses X-Plane - and when it comes to addons, there's a flock in the P3D field; more or less flock-all in X-Plane. Even PMDG make a DC-6 look like crap by shunting it into a sim that really can't cope with it, or them...

Last time I tried it, XPlane used all 64 bits to paint trees everywhere on a major US airport runway. That's the last time it'll ever be installed on my system.

True enough! I should have said IF SOMEONE PRODUCES A DECENT 64 BIT PROGRAM I'LL BE ONE OF THE FIRST TO BUY IT.

Sorry if I misstated my thoughts! XPlane IMO seems to be such a pile of ____, I really forget it's even around.;)

Archived