FS2004 on Windows 8.1 (again).

dmb06851

I have seen innumerable posts, on various forums, about FS2004/Windows 8.1, but none of them address the problem I have encountered.

Installation in another folder, rather than the system's default, is frequently advised. And there are reports of installing "normally" without ill effects.

I thought I would try the simple approach.

Inserting disc 1 into the d.v.d. drive, the drive makes a series of clicking noises which I have never experienced before. The drive reads other c.ds and d.v.ds correctly.

Clicking on the drive's desktop icon, a list of files was presented - although the clicking continued. Clicking on the Setup.Exe file brought up a (Not Responding) message in the drive's window. The "Not Responding" message eventually disappeared and the rotating blue circle (busy?) was displayed.

After waiting a long time last night I left the disc in the drive, which continued making the clicking sounds, and went to bed.

This morning I found that the first screen of FS2004 was open and I was able to proceed with the installation. At the end I had a Flight Simulator icon on the desktop but clicking on it did nothing.

At no time during the installation did I see any way of selecting where the files were installed.

I have now uninstalled it using IObit's Ubinstaller.

I have no idea of what to do next. Can someone help please?

Equal rights for equal responsibilities.

Equal opportunities for equal abilities.

Might not be much help here because my son had already installed FS9 for me on my 8.1 tower system, BUT I have noticed at various times when I have put a CD/DVD in the drawer it will not run the program or show the disc contents until it seems to have read all of the disc or put it in memory? I don't remember having this problem with my laptop when it was 8.1 (& is now W10), or previously on W7.

Keith

Hi,

The clicking and the not starting are not related. A Windows update now prevents FS9 from starting with CD4 in the drive. You can find lots of information on this problem here in this forum and elsewhere on the web.

An example:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?293089-Sim-won-t-load!

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

+1 to Tom's suggestion of looking at the highlighted thread - it will definitely get you up and running.

WRT the problem of long CD load times - this is generally not related directly to the OS but more down to the way CD/DVDs are produced and formatted these days. As a consequence newer drives are designed to read the new formats and struggle to effectively read the older formats such as those used by FS2004/FSX. Likewise an older drive may not be able to read the newer formats.

BTW dob08651 - don't go sticking an enlarged version of your avatar pic in the window - you might get some unwanted guests!!

Regards

Brian

Thank you Tom. I've read that thread and have uninstalled KB3086255.

Let's see what happens now.

Brian, that's very interesting. I will no doubt have to wait again for the drive to read the disc properly again.

How, though, do I intervene in the installation process to tell the system to install the program in the folder I choose?

.............How, though, do I intervene in the installation process to tell the system to install the program in the folder I choose?...........

When you re-install just let the disk do its thing - don't open it in explorer to view the files or to click on the .exe file.

When the FS2004 install wizard starts the main installation screen will offer you 2 options - Express or Customise. Select the Customise option and you will be able to select the installed folder location to suit your needs.

Regards

Brian

Keep in mind that if you do not Hide the update it will be installed again during the next update. Perhaps that happened already?

That's exactly what it does. But once FS9 installed it runs correctly, even with this ominous update.

Keep in mind that if you do not Hide the update it will be installed again during the next update. Perhaps that happened already?

+1 on Tom's observation.

Ensure tht you have read the instructions fully that I posted at post #9 (https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?293089-Sim-won-t-load!&p=1941274#post1941274 of the previously highlighted thread. Take note of my suggestion in the final paragraph - unfortunately MS may re-push the KB again (as it is doing with KB3038853 which installs the Get Win10 icon to the system tray and also installs an .exe that keeps providing the Win 10 download as an 'optional but already selected' update each time WU is run) so its worth keeping an eye out for KB3086255 when installing WU's.

Regards

Brian

Excuse the delay gentlemen. My health is not optimum (I'm half way to 152 years old) and enthusiasm frequently takes a holiday .....

mrzippy

Yes the icon points to the C/Flight Simulator 9 folder.

Brian

KB3086255 wasn't re-installed, I had told Windows Update to inform me of updates (option 3), and I have now hidden it too.

I have also run GWX Control Panel to inhibit the Windows 10 upgrade.

So what to do next?

I don't understand how that would work.

Re-read the thread that you was pointed to earlier in the this thread. There are a number entries regarding the fix.

Basically, to start FS9 you are required to have CD#4 in the drive so that the install can be validated as legal - this is referred to as a DRM check. However, since the form of DRM has been know to be a security risk for years MS took the decision to close down the threat by removing the DRM support. They have done this by releasing the KB3086255 for Win 7 and 8 and have 'hard coded' it into Win 10. Therefore, with the DRM disabled, the disk is not recognised and therefore the FS9 install is considered to be illegal. If you have removed the offending KB then your current install should work. Using either of the two options listed at option 3. below removes the need for the DRM check and basically 'fools' the validation process into thinking that the FS install is legal

Options are

1. Right click on the FS9 icon and select run as admin and see if that works

2. Doouble check that the KB is un-installed.

3. Try either the no-cd fix OR the command line optioned detailed in the thread.

Regards

Brian

Options are

1. Right click on the FS9 icon and select run as admin and see if that works

2. Doouble check that the KB is un-installed.

3. Try either the no-cd fix OR the command line optioned detailed in the thread.

1. That didn't work - had tried it before too.

2. It is not installed.

3. The no-cd fix is now installed.

I started by uninstalling all traces of FS9.

Having inserted disc 1 again the head in the drive again started its unfulfilled search.

Anyway, that lasted about 50 minutes before the system threw in the towel. Nothing having been achieved.

The only recourse I then had was to click the setup.exe file in the drive's explorer window.

The four discs were read - being installed in the C:\Flight Simulator 9 folder I created.

I then renamed the fs9 file, put the downloaded update file in that folder and ran it. Then put the no-cd fix file in that folder and ran it.

Th program now starts to run but coughs up two complaints. I made a screen shot of both of them. I've had to re-write this message after trying to add a picture of one of the shots.

Rather than risk losing this I will attempt to put them in another post as soon as I have uploaded this one .....

I forgot to mention that I uninstalled Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware before starting to reinstall.

about the cd spinning for a long time.

I have a ASUS F1ST dvd writer. It came with the dvd burning software power2go8.

With that installed, and automatically starting, loading the fsx DVD took ages and ages.

It turned out the burning software was reading the files to prepare for disk copying.

This caused a conflict with the Explorer window that was trying to view the files as well.

I stopped Power2Go from starting automatically with windows. Now the FSX dvd is read right away.

(The software still works for dvd burning fine, jus t need to start it manually. Fine by me.)

I heard the same issue about other (dvd burning) apps.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, if I were you [which I'm not] I would bite the dust and go back to good ol' Windows 7. I just don't know what else to suggest.

Dijvid

Never had Windows 7. I have XP Home and Pro on other machines though. I might use one of those. I've had more trouble with Windows 8.1 than I ever did with XP, 98 or 95.

about the cd spinning for a long time.

I have a ASUS F1ST dvd writer. It came with the dvd burning software power2go8.

With that installed, and automatically starting, loading the fsx DVD took ages and ages.

It turned out the burning software was reading the files to prepare for disk copying.

There's no third party disc burning applications running on this machine.

Your problem may be that the 8.1 update has not installed correctly, this has happened to someone else earlier this year. I don't have Windows 8 myself, but I think there is a refresh or reset option in Settings which will revert Windows back to 8.0. You may lose other updates or programs as well, but you will be able to re-install the 8.1 update (as administrator don't forget!) and then re-install those along with FS2004. You'll find more help here: http://www.eightforums.com/

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Your problem may be that the 8.1 update has not installed correctly ...

Afraid not, but thank you for trying to help.

This machine was bought new from HP, with Windows 8.1 pre-installed - along with a lot of HP and other rubbish.

I bought new Windows 8.1 discs direct from Microsoft, removed everything and started with a fresh, unadulterated, system.

Archived