Section 8 F86 Sabre Sonic Boom

usb777

Anybody out there been able to add the sonic boom effect to the beautiful Section 8 F86? I have tried but can't get it to work for some reason. I know speed isn't the only factor, temperature etc.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Never tried that myself. However the freeware jets by Dino Cattaneo feature visual mach transition effects so it should be possible to tie-in a sound effect to it. That might give you a indication of how its done.

Thanks, I have already and it works rather well

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Smooth!!! How did you do it? Did you get the sound to?

Mike G.

No boom sound! I would imagine the only way to actually hear a sonic boom would be on the ground as the plane and sound wave goes past you.

Now, try as I might I really couldn't get the F-86 much past MACH .9, even in a steep full power dive. The effect is put into the [smokesystem] section and is activated whenever the i key is pushed. Make sure you have fx_RCB_machenvlop.fx in your Effects folder.

[smokesystem]

Smoke.0= -10.0, 0.0, 0.0, fx_RCB_machenvlop.fx

Take a look at this download. rcbco-30.zip for the sound effect.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Thanks! I haven't used the effect this way. I was trying the one with the rcbco30 file.

Mike G.

In level flight that's true, but it can go supersonic in a dive.

No, certain versions were capable of it but not this one. The one modelled here is the slat-equipped wing. The later 6-3 wing was the one that finally permitted a clean, well maintained aircraft to reach Mach 1.05 in a dive, The slatted wing created Mach buffet at transonic speeds above Mach 0.96-0.97 that even the all-flying tailplane couldn't alleviate. limiting Vne to below Mach 1. While there were pilots who exceeded the speed of sound in testing, these were NOT definitive military examples - gun ports covered, wing hardpoints omitted, supercleaned surfaces and other mods designed for PR value, not real-world use.

The Sabre was subsonic until later variants. The F86E with the slatted wing was DEFINTELY subsonic.

Archived