P3D 64 bit?

Rupert

Forgive me my ignorance. I have P3D now but am thinking about updating to a later version. I heard somewhere that P3D is/was going to 64 bit operation. Is that true? If so, any idea as to when and which release?:confused::confused:
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Forgive me my ignorance. I have P3D now but am thinking about updating to a later version. I heard somewhere that P3D is/was going to 64 bit operation. Is that true? If so, any idea as to when and which release?:confused::confused:

It's in development. No timescale, no release date and it will be a separate purchase not an update - possibly V3. And even that is speculation.

If you want to know about it stick with the official forum - that is the only place L-M staff hang out and talk about development.

I have P3D and am happy with it now....so may I ask ...what will 64 bit do that the current platform does not...I hear zillions of folks on this site talk about 64 bit but I probably my fault but do not see explanations about what it will do to make things better....thanks...al v, tucson

I have P3D and am happy with it now....so may I ask ...what will 64 bit do that the current platform does not...I hear zillions of folks on this site talk about 64 bit but I probably my fault but do not see explanations about what it will do to make things better....thanks...al v, tucson

Moving to a 64 bit application will give the sim access to far more address space than it currently has. This would help eliminate, or at least greatly postpone, OOM errors.

Like as not the 64-bit version will be tied to Dx12, which means Windows 10. An interesting discussion on that is currently take place over at the other place. My own thoughts are that it will support different 64-bit OS, but with reduced features - L-M are going to get very friendly with MS if they force the 64-bit issue and the acceptance of Win 10 and it may even be the difference politically between having their Sikorsky bid referred or not.

There is actually plenty of life in 2.x for the time being, and L-M are not answering to this kind of user base, and in all probability not even listening. Their core customer will define the arrival time. So don't think that anyone here has even the slightest clue to be able to offer insight.

Unfortunately, it's all speculation. I feel they will go to 64 bit but WHEN is the $64 question. When they do, it won't be the "magic bean" that some people think. Yes, the memory management will improve but there will be downsides too - 3rd party compatibility being just one.

Considering that they are pretty much tied into Windows right now, chances are they will stay with that platform but one never knows. As stated, we are not their customer base, we are very knowledgeable beta testers, and I say that in a positive manner. I do not think that P3D would be as improved today were it not for this community.

LM's main thrust will be the large commercial base and as long as their aims and ours coincide, we will be in a good place.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

If folks wouldn't load down P3D with every possible add on they can afford, they wouldn't have OOMs.

Stop trying to be the voice of reason Bobsk8. If there's a way to break the 64bit version, our simmers will find it and complain about the product.

Vic

P3D Rig

I7 7700K @ 5.0ghz Asus Maximus X270 16G G.Skill 3600 15-15-15-18 2T EVGARTX2080ti Corsair 1000W PSU 1TB Samsung SSD for P3D - 2 - 256G OCZ Vector SSD - HAF X - Corsiar H100i V2 Liquid Cooler W10 64 Pro.

Some of the above comments are correct. We are most certainly not LM's target market, as stated above. I'm sure their market, the likes of Redbird, Frasca, etc. are more concerned on training as opposed to bling with their sims.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Unfortunately, it's all speculation. I feel they will go to 64 bit but WHEN is the $64 question. When they do, it won't be the "magic bean" that some people think. Yes, the memory management will improve but there will be downsides too - 3rd party compatibility being just one.

Considering that they are pretty much tied into Windows right now, chances are they will stay with that platform but one never knows. As stated, we are not their customer base, we are very knowledgeable beta testers, and I say that in a positive manner. I do not think that P3D would be as improved today were it not for this community.

LM's main thrust will be the large commercial base and as long as their aims and ours coincide, we will be in a good place.

Vic

I'm sure that the llikes of Lockheed Martin have their own beta testers & do not rely on a bunch of random guys on sim forums. Remember, their sims are for training & not for entertainment. As I'm sure you are aware, most of the guys are more interested in eye-candy as opposed to the needs & requirements of LM's target market. So, their aims certainly are not the same as ours. So, do the LM's market need 64bit? Will 64bit make the aircraft more realistic? Not really. Remember most of the guys using P3D as it should be used, are using it probably with only a few dedicated aircraft, as seen by A2A's PC bundle with their 172!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

We will lose OOM, but (re-) gain OOP and probably OOA too (OutOfPower and OutOfAddon).

Large amounts of data need powerful CPUs to be processed and unlimited resources make programmers bold (or lazy) - OOP. And if compatibility is broken - OOA.

All speculation of course :o)

My understanding is that final version of Windows 10 will ship with DirectX 12 and that it is not available for Windows 7. Many commercial users of Prepar3D will not install Windows 10 just because Microsoft releases it. They will install in only when only when it they see there's an advantage.

Also PreparD's System Requirements are still for Windows 7 - not even Windows 8.

http://www.prepar3d.com/product-overview/#system-requirements-v2

Then why has the European Pilot Organization (PPL/IR) adopted X-Plane 10 (64-bit) as its

instrument training platform ?

Alfons

Probably because it meets their needs/requirements and budget. Did they explicitly state that being a 64 bit application was one of their requirements?

Then why has the European Pilot Organization (PPL/IR) adopted X-Plane 10 (64-bit) as its

Alfons

And they don't care how it looks apparently, or the "airports" with nothing around them doesn't bother them either.

And they don't care how it looks apparently, or the "airports" with nothing around them doesn't bother them either.

Or they are using add-ons to improve the ones they care about. Then again, sim training is often less about eye candy and more about procedures.

Or they are using add-ons to improve the ones they care about. Then again, sim training is often less about eye candy and more about procedures.

I've tried X plane. No procedure advantage that I can see and I am a licensed pilot.

I've tried X plane. No procedure advantage that I can see and I am a licensed pilot.

When companies or organizations select a product there are usually a number of requirements, including licensing, functionality and cost. Perhaps to you there may not be an advantage, but others there may well be. And it may not be with something you are particularly concerned about.

Alfons

Because they were paid lots of money?

I have no idea, but then neither do you - can you point us to the tender material, the contract or the criterion that specified 64-bit, because otherwise it might be that 64-bit was an entirely unspecified happy coincidence, for all we know.

Same here, but I settled for the out of the box experience may not be symptomatic of what it is capable of - just like FSX, and indeed P3D. But I wasn't prepared to invest in another SSD just for X-Plane, so deleted it for now.

Alfons

What "European Pilot Organization" - Google doesn't find it?

Archived