Multiple monitors

jparnold

This question has probably been answered before but at present I am away from home and the best internet connection I can get is extremely poor and so would take too long to wade through possible 'hits' to a search.

I want to set up FSX for 2 monitors using one monitor to display say the FMC.

I realise that I need two (digital) video outputs from my PC. Does that mean that I need a motherboard with two or more PCIe ports and two video cards or can video cards which have two DVI ports be used?

Do all video cards with two DVI ports work with FSX and two screens?

Does the speed of such video cards affect 'performance' eg will fps be affected when using two monitos as opposed to using only one?

Where can I read up on how to set up FSX for multiple monitors?

Thanks

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

I want to set up FSX for 2 monitors using one monitor to display say the FMC...Where can I read up on how to set up FSX for multiple monitors?

No 'reading up' required, all you need is a graphics card with two outputs (that's almost any graphics card in existence these days). It doesn't matter if the outputs are DVI or VGA or one of each. Connect a monitor to each port, then make sure Windows can see them (for Win7, right-click on the desktop, 'screen resolution' and it should be obvious what to do).

No setup is required in FSX - if you're in full-screen mode just drag your panels to the other monitor. In windowed mode you will have to right-click on the panel and choose 'undock' first.

[P.S. Do not ever save a flight with panels on a second screen.]

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Thanks for the replies.

I don't have a video card with two video outputs but was intending to get one soon. Just didn't know if sch video ards would do the job or if I needed a high end motherboad with two PCIe slots (don't even know if they exist. Have hread about 'crossfire?' video cards but not how they work and if I needed one.

Looks simple enough to set up from what you have replied.

I should also have looked at youtube for demos so will do that too now.

Thanks again.

John

No setup is required in FSX - if you're in full-screen mode just drag your panels to the other monitor. In windowed mode you will have to right-click on the panel and choose 'undock' first.

[P.S. Do not ever save a flight with panels on a second screen.]

Why not? I have flights saved using all of my favorite planes and they all have views saved on the 2nd and the 3rd screen. This has almost never been a problem at all. Occasionally one of the side screens won't load correctly at the start of a flight. On the rare occasions this is an issue, all I have to do is cancel that view and configure it again. It's still faster than configuring two side screens every time I start a flight.

I've used this procedure for at least three years. And to answer another question, my two side monitors are a different resolution from the primary one. No problem there.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Why not?

Well for me if I do this I get the 'flashing cursor from hell', it doesn't restore the 2D panels to the saved positions anyway, and I can never get the 2D view back until I exit FSX and make sure I don't load that saved flight. That's for the GPS; I don't use other views so perhaps the problem doesn't generalise. Or perhaps you are use Windowed mode, which may make a difference, or are running in 2D Surround, which is not the same thing.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Could you guys advise what video cards you use to assist me making the decision which one to get.

All I know is that the best GPU type is nVidia.

Also is it possible to have a video card way too fast for the CPU and therefore wasting money?

Thanks

John

Not sure as to PC specs as I am currently away from home.

I think the mobo is a GA-87M-D3H and the CPU is an intel i7 around 3.4 Ghz (not a Z type so cannot be overclocked).

Hope this helps with your reply.

John

Home again

Mobo is Gigabyte GA-G41MT-D3P

CPU Intel i7 4770 3.4Ghz.

What is the fastest video card I can use with this (don't want to spend money on a video card which has a speed which cannot be utilised)

John

• 3 weeks later...

I am resurrecting this in hope that someone can advise me on the possibility of using multiple monitors with DVI and SUB-D connectors on my video card.

I am just about to purchase a new monitor which has both DVI and SUB-D connectors.

My old flat screen 4:3 monitor only has a D-SUB connector.

The video card has two DVI connectors and one D-SUB.

Is it possible to connect two monitors one using DVI and the other D-SUB?

Thanks.

John

I am resurrecting this in hope that someone can advise me on the possibility of using multiple monitors with DVI and SUB-D connectors on my video card.

I am just about to purchase a new monitor which has both DVI and SUB-D connectors.

My old flat screen 4:3 monitor only has a D-SUB connector.

The video card has two DVI connectors and one D-SUB.

Is it possible to connect two monitors one using DVI and the other D-SUB?

Thanks.

Indeed. You could in point of fact run 3 screens at the same time, one in each port.

I currently have a dual screen setup of 2x 22 inch screens. One is HDMI the other is connected with DVI, and I still have a DVI port spare too. So one more screen.......lol

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks for your quick replies. Much appreciated.

I intend to use the new 16:9 monitor for views of the instrument panel and the old 4:3 to drag say the FMS and maybe one or two other gauges to.

That begs another question.

In my ignorance if I use the 16:9 for instrument panel and the 4:3 to drag the FMS etc onto what happens if I change the view "eg to outside view". Does only the 16:9 monitor change and the 4:3 (with the FMS) stay unchanged?

Thanks again

John

In dual mode the second screen is black blank to start with. You drag stuff over to that screen and it stays there till you quit. It doesn't affect your main screen view so its a very VERY handy thing.

I have my 3 MFD displays arranged along the top of the 2nd screen, the 2d throttle in underneath and my ATC and GPS windows either side of it.

It makes "eye ball" flying a lot simpler when you don't have to pan the view around just to see gauges properly.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thanks again

Looking forward to when my new monitor arrives.

John

• 1 month later...

hi all

Sorry to jump in on the thread, but I just connected a second screen (daughters old tv) through a HDMI port, managed to get it all working, dragged the bits I wanted to the second screen, but the mouse cursor doesn't line up with the bottons on the second screen?

I checked resolution on both screens, and they are the same?? Help pls :)

Thanks, I tried that, I think the problem might be with the monitor, as it is a cheap old one for my daughter, but thought id give it a bash... both were set to 1920x1080, but I think the old monitor cant actually do 1920.. so I set both to 1024, and still no luck..

so ill try and wait for when I get back to London to try on a proper monitor..

Or install a projector LOL

I read with much interest the posts by mavpierre as I intend to connect 2 monitors which are different.

It seems that perhaps I might be wasting my time as my main monitor has an 16:9 aspect ratio (1920 x 1080) and the other monitor has an aspect ration of 4:3 (1024 x 786).

I will give it a try eventually but don't have high hopes that it will work or be easy to use.

John

I read with much interest the posts by mavpierre as I intend to connect 2 monitors which are different.

It seems that perhaps I might be wasting my time as my main monitor has an 16:9 aspect ratio (1920 x 1080) and the other monitor has an aspect ration of 4:3 (1024 x 786).

I will give it a try eventually but don't have high hopes that it will work or be easy to use.

It should work just fine. You will find many people run additional monitors for 2D panels such as the GPS without problems. FSX is designed to do this. My GPS is on a 7" display and I run FSX in full-screen. (I have that monitor on another card, which may be a factor.)

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys,

I've been digging and digging to get answers to a few problems I'm having, I'm running three monitors, my 42" Sharp LCD TV for my front view and 2 BENQ 27" monitors in my doors for side views all the same resolution 1920X1080.

I'm using NVidia Surround to span across all three screens, I've opened and dragged two new 90' side views to the monitors in my doors.

It's seems to be working well, but I find when I get into heavy over cast my frame rates drop quite a bit, is there a better way or setup to do this so it's easier on the frame rates?

I have a strong system Z87 i7 4770 16Gb RAM GTX 980 Ti...

Are opening new views in Windowed mode always this hard on the system?

Thanks,

Sam

ASUS Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard / Intel Core i7 4770K OC 4.2 / Windows 7 Pro 64BIT / 16GB DDR3-2400 / Crucial M4 SSD Micron C400 250GB SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive / Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti 6Gb

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes the more windows you have open makes the system work far harder and can cripple even the best pc's on the market with enough of them open.

Plus your running 5 displays at one time which further increases the load on the system.

You should try lowering settings for best performance with your rig.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Archived