Multiple monitors

jparnold

Hi CC,

Thanks for the info, do you know anything about Triplehead2go?

Would this be any help to me?

Thanks,

Sam

ASUS Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard / Intel Core i7 4770K OC 4.2 / Windows 7 Pro 64BIT / 16GB DDR3-2400 / Crucial M4 SSD Micron C400 250GB SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive / Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti 6Gb

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you ever shut down your computer with windows on a 2nd screen and something goes wrong with that screen you will no longer see those windows. If this ever happens all you have to do is hold down your 'Windows' key and use the cursor keys to move it back to your main screen.

In other words lets say you have a panel open on a monitor to your right. You shut down your computer for the night and come back to play the next day and find your 2nd monitor is no longer working. Does not matter the reason. Maybe a power supply went our or something.

In this case you can hold down your 'Windows' key and hit the left cursor until that panel has moved to your main screen.

Did that make sense?? It is a good trick to know if you are a multiple screen user.

:)

Ross G.

That makes a lot of sense, but Mark warned 'don't ever save a flight.etc, so you saying it is safe to, but with a caveat?

Well this is just my experience, but saving windows off-screen screws things up. When you reload the flight you don't get the windows on the other screens where you saved them and you cannot get them back. Second, you find you have now entered the 'flashing cursor from hell' mode, which is a permanent busy mouse pointer that doesn't hide itself like the mouse pointer normally does. When I get into this state the only solution is to quit FSX and restart. If you have set a flight with the saved windows as the default flight you have to delete this before starting FSX or you are stuck.

It seems not everyone experiences this in the same way, so the precise details of what screens you have connected and how you have them arranged probably has an effect. This has never worked properly and it's why products such as the VR Insight GPS 5 and the RXP GNS530 are billed as working in windowed mode only. In fact they will work in full-screen mode but there is no reliable way to save the positions of the windows.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Hi Guys,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in here to ask a quick question, I'm trying to run three monitors with three different views without spanning across all three.

All three of my Monitors are native 1920X1080, I've set the resolution for 1920X1080 for the desktop and in FSX, my problem is, every time I load up FSX, my monitor on the right shows a lower resolution then the 1920X1080.

Has anyone even came across this issue before?

Thanks,

Sam

ASUS Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard / Intel Core i7 4770K OC 4.2 / Windows 7 Pro 64BIT / 16GB DDR3-2400 / Crucial M4 SSD Micron C400 250GB SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive / Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti 6Gb

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cpt Caveman,

If I knew where to send you a case of Scotch....

I would send it overnight express! You are a star buddy!

Thanks!Thanks!Thanks!Thanks!Thanks!Thanks!Thanks!Thanks!

Sam

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi Cpt. Caveman,

One more question if I could...

Do I need to keep all three entries in the .cfg for my video card info?

[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti]

Mode=1920x1080x32

Sam

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yes. Each entry is a single screen, as the game detects each screen as a unique display device connected to the video card rather than a single unified display.

For example here are my entries for my dual screen setup;

[DISPLAY.Device.AMD Radeon R9 200 Series.0]

Anisotropic=1

AntiAlias=1

Mode=1920x1080x32

TriLinear=0

[DISPLAY.Device.AMD Radeon R9 200 Series.1]

Anisotropic=1

AntiAlias=1

Mode=1920x1080x32

TriLinear=0

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Awesome, ok thanks for all your info and help, today was a game changer for me.

Everything is working really well, now I can start tweaking the settings to see where the balance between fps and scenery/add-on's.

All the best,

Sam

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Two quick replies to issues reported in this thread.

Most if not all of the time when I save a flight and then go back to it later, my panel of gauges on my lower monitor are 'squished'. I simply left click and hold the edge and resize it a smidgen and back to original and the gauges snap back to normal.

The flashing mouse cursor from hell used to give me fits and rebooting FSX seemed to be the only answer until I stumbled upon this trick. I have several undocked windows of gauges etc on my lower monitor. If the cursor goes mad, call up one of those windows, dock it and it snaps back to it's position on the main, undock again and that seems to cure the mad cursor. I recall once it appeared just calling up the other window also did the trick.

So, next time that happens, create a new window if you have to (another view or what not) undock and drag to the monitor that started the mess and see what happens. if it cures it, redock and exit that window view.

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz LGA 1150 PNY GeForce GTX 780 3072MB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video

Gigabit Z97 Gaming 3 LGA 1150 ATX Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600

SanDisk 128GB SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State

Well this is just my experience, but saving windows off-screen screws things up. When you reload the flight you don't get the windows on the other screens where you saved them and you cannot get them back. Second, you find you have now entered the 'flashing cursor from hell' mode, which is a permanent busy mouse pointer that doesn't hide itself like the mouse pointer normally does. When I get into this state the only solution is to quit FSX and restart. If you have set a flight with the saved windows as the default flight you have to delete this before starting FSX or you are stuck.

It seems not everyone experiences this in the same way, so the precise details of what screens you have connected and how you have them arranged probably has an effect. This has never worked properly and it's why products such as the VR Insight GPS 5 and the RXP GNS530 are billed as working in windowed mode only. In fact they will work in full-screen mode but there is no reliable way to save the positions of the windows.

I use three screens. The two side screens are 1440 X 900, the center is 1920X1080. I set the center screen at 80% and the side screens at 100% they all appear identical & I have a very good wrap around effect.

I've used this setup for well over a year & my saved flights come right up ready to fly with all three screens in alignment just where I put them. I've ever experience a mad cursor or any of those other worries. However I run them all off my single 7800 Nvidea card.

I prefer the 2d view with the dashboard at the bottom of my center screen or I W it in and out of the way as desired. But I have some planes that are virtual cockpit only & things still work out the same. I just have to plus or minus the center screen to read the instruments at times.

The only screen issue I have is when I do screen shots with the V key, the center screen is the only one that shows up. However when I want to show all three screens in flight, I usually take pictures with my trusty Nikon instead.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Archived