Need links to FSX tutorials, tips & tweaks, how to add on aircraft, scenery on WIN 7

bushp04

Hey guys! I'm finally back from the crash of my beloved FS9 from 5 years ago. You have NO IDEA (well, maybe some of you do) how badly I've missed simming!!!!

New PC, built to run NOTHING BUT FSX: (I hope it's enough, and your comments are welcome!)

ASUS B85M-E/CSM LGA1150 uATX MOBO

INTEL i3 4330 3.5GHz LGA1150 4MB

8Gb DDR3 RAM

nVIDIA GEFORCE GTX750Ti 2GB/DDR5/DVI/DP SUPERCLOCKED

240GB KINGSTON V300 2.5" SSD

Windows 7 Pro

Coolermaster Elite 431 Case USB 2's 3's

500W Power Supply

FSX Gold Edition with FSX Acceleration Disk (the disks all have "Deluxe Edition" printed on them, but not the box)

Now, the dumb questions begin! (I sincerely hope not!)

But it's great to be back!:):):):):)

bushp04

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

Welcome back bushp04!

You should be able to run FSX fine on that box,....as long as you do not get too carried away with intense addons.

To get the best out of X people are overclocking their CPUs into the >4.0 GHz range.

Even then heavy addons and clouds can slow them down, except for one guy.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Installing FSX addon aircraft is a piece o' cake, I usually just download it to desktop, inspect it to make sure everything's there, and then and copy or drag it into the Sim objects> Airplanes folder.

Make sure these 6 vital files are in the aircraft's folder, for example this is a Piper Tripacer-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-vital-files_zps3sqw1qbz.jpg~original

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Et voila!-

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-fullscrn1_zps843e6df1.jpg~original

--------------------------------------------------------------------

But some addon aircraft come with extra livery files, gauge files, kitchen sink and docs etc like this Maule, don't let it confuse you, just copy the aircraft folder containing the whole caboodle into Sim objects>Airplanes..:)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub2/FSX-files_zpsov0qhbpx.jpg~original

Scatterbrainkid,

You have helped greatly with your post, as I was totally up-ended by the Windows 7 layout, having used Win XP all those years. And it was mainly where to put what.

So, thanks a million!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

Welcome.. & congrats. Yup, Moving from XP to Windows 7 was a bit of a learning curve. Bearing in mind that Windows 7 has been replaced by Windows 8, that was replaced by Windows 8.1, & now we have Windows 10 coming up on the 29th July. (Believe it, a FREE upgrade!)

So, as far as your set-up goes, should be fine. BUT, watch your settings within the sim, do not set them too high. (too much to the right). You may get some slowing down of frames. Try set your Frame settings to about 26-30 & see if all is smooth flying.

Do not overclock (tweak & speed up the PC's CPU unless you really know what you are doing & there is sufficient cooling within the PC). It can cause a lot of problems, & a=is not really worth while for an i3 processor.

Have fun & enjoy. We always here to help.

Cheers,

Robin

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

..I was totally up-ended by the Windows 7 layout, having used Win XP all those years. And it was mainly where to put what.

Yes I loved dear old Win XP, but then Microsoft stopped support for it last year and everybody in techy forums was screaming "Aargh, we must switch to Win 7 or 8 because Win XP won't be getting any more security upgrades!"; I don't know if it was scaremongering or what, but I played safe and switched to Win 7, it does the job but doesn't seem quite as friendly as XP.

I thought about getting 8 but I'd heard it wasn't as well proven as 7.

PS- here's another piece of advice about FSX:- you'll often notice that when somebody asks a question about a problem, he'll be told to tweak and change assorted files and stuff in the innards of the FSX programming.

My advice is DON'T tweak anything until you've tried all the simple remedies FIRST like adjusting various ingame sliders and buttons and settings, that's what they're there for.

Yet another bit of advice:- you'll also notice that people often hit problems after they've installed a bunch of super-duper new scenery or weather or whatever, so the trick is to take it slowly and only install things one at a time if you're sure you really do want them.

Remember, FSX is like a pretty but tantrum-prone girlfriend, so don't upset her by asking her to wear a french maid or Wonder Woman outfit til you've at least got to know each other very well.

(I'm not an addon junkie myself, I've had FSX for about 7 years and the only things I've added in all that time are some addon planes and a strip of southern england photoreal scenery)

XP still rocks! A good antivirus program coupled with a weekly antimalware/antispyware scan keeps it in good working order. No need to sweat out UAC or any quirks about adding scenery to the library.

Questions about how to do stuff are always welcome and sometimes provide information that some of us didn't even know.:pilot:

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

user-offline.png Member

Join DateMar 2005LocationSoutheast USAPosts581

[h=2]icon1.png[/h]

Thanks for your insights, Scatterbrainkid. And the good humor! Speaking of being an addon junkie, that was me back in COF running on good ole XP! I had scads of liveries of almost every commercial aircraft, maybe all the military, and don't even ask how many airports all over the world! She worked for a long time carrying that heavy load, but you know what they say about "anything made by man..." one day, she went KA-BOOM! That was around 5-6 years ago, best I can remember.

In the meantime, I "went over to the dark side," but I didn't enjoy the Apple learning curve, and flying X-plane, I discovered very quickly that I possessed neither the mental resources nor the desire to become a flight engineer just to do a little free flying!

sigpic12243_1.gif

"Fly Southern"

bushp04

clear.gif Edit Post clear.gif Reply clear.gif Reply With Quote multiquote_40b.png Blog this Post

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

Welcome.. & congrats. Yup, Moving from XP to Windows 7 was a bit of a learning curve. Bearing in mind that Windows 7 has been replaced by Windows 8, that was replaced by Windows 8.1, & now we have Windows 10 coming up on the 29th July. (Believe it, a FREE upgrade!

Sorry! Microsoft has never provided anything free! What they and every dope pusher are providing free is a way to get you hooked on their latest money-maker.

Re-read the promo. Free for X amount of time to selected previously purchased owners!

10 may be worth the money. BUT IT WILL NEVER BE FREE!

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Hey, Bean,

I did answer your 'Welcome Back' post, but my forum thread seems to have gone south on me. I have duplicate signatures plus I can no longer see our posts to each other. Anyway, just in case you didn't see my reply to yours, a big THANK YOU for all the patient help you gave me, especially getting textures fixed on Memphis International!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

airvel2,

Sorry I didn't catch your post earlier. While I'm running in Windows 7, I believe the principle remains the same as to how to begin finding out why no panels are showing in your downloaded aircraft. Please see this thread where scatterbrainkid replied to me and kindly provided images of the folders that will always be required for every addon aircraft. (Post #5 in this thread) The folder you should be looking for is the panel folder.

Hope this helps,

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

...just copy the aircraft folder containing the whole caboodle into Sim objects>Airplanes..

Don't forget the "kit" also! After all, you can't do just the caboodle without the kit! Absolutely critical! :D

And it was mainly where to put what.

I would be more than happy to tell you where to stick it! I'm sorry, natural smart-alek. I just can't help myself.

Welcome back, always nice to have another victim....errrr....SIM Enthusiast, yeah, that's what I meant :D

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

• 1 month later...
Bean~ I forgot to ask, "Who" is the 'except for one guy?' :)

StringBean has not been on this site since around the July 4th Holiday. I tried sending a PM to him about 3 weeks ago and still no reply. Hope he is well and just taking some time off. I have heard nothing to the contrary.

He was probably referring to "Mr. I get 1000fps no matter where I set my sliders"

StringBean has not been on this site since around the July 4th Holiday. I tried sending a PM to him about 3 weeks ago and still no reply. Hope he is well and just taking some time off. I have heard nothing to the contrary.

He was probably referring to "Mr. I get 1000fps no matter where I set my sliders"

mrzippy~

Thank you for the response re: StringBean. Durn, I hope he's alright! I'm concerned about it when a regular poster suddenly "runs silent," but you never know. Appreciate your giving him a little nudge to see if he's still awake. I'll PM him today and let you know. Is it alright if I add you to my friends group on my profile page?

Oh, btw~to whom DID you think Bean might have been referring with the 1000fps comment? (I have a guess)

Thanks a bunch!

Len

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

mrzippy~

Thank you for the response re: StringBean. Durn, I hope he's alright! I'm concerned about it when a regular poster suddenly "runs silent," but you never know. Appreciate your giving him a little nudge to see if he's still awake. I'll PM him today and let you know. Is it alright if I add you to my friends group on my profile page?

Oh, btw~to whom DID you think Bean might have been referring with the 1000fps comment? (I have a guess)

Thanks a bunch!

Len

AOK on the friend request. I was hoping someone out there in flightsimland would have Bean's email address and might know what's going on. Bean loves his anonymity!

Archived