FSX PC Build

I`ve been using a 2009 PC for awhile now for FSX and as I have started get more serious about simming in general, I have decided to build a dedicated machine to FSX. Here are my current specs:

Intel Pentium E5500 2.8ghz

6gb RAM

W7 Home Premium 64 Bit

160gb HDD (way too small for FSX)

Ive been doing alot of research and the best things that seem to run FSX are Nvidia and Intel components. I`m nearly 100% sure that I will go for a Nvidia GTX750Ti 2gb superclocked. The processor I`m still unsure of but for my budget I`m thinking a mid-range I5 if possible. My budget is roughly 600 euros (not sure if its possible) This doesn`t have to include Windows 7 but even better if it did.

Thanks

600 euros=438 CD. You won't get any thing that will run FSX satisfactorily on that budget.

FS2004 maybe?

Bruce

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]I5-2500k@ 4.5Ghz/ 16 GB Gskill DDR3 1600/Nvidia GTX460 1GB// CH Yoke/Pedals/Throttle/TrackIR/Win7/ Fsx Deluxe SP1 & SP2

"Don't let fear or good judgment hold you back"

I just built this computer for $1200

i5-4690k

GTX 960

1TB HDD

250GB SSD

8GB RAM

23'' 1920x1080 res monitor/keyboard and mouse

600W PSU

I haven't had the chance to run FSX on it, but I'm anticipating more than decent performance.

sigpic411210_1.gif

Lol...I thought twice about mentioning him for fear of being banned by association...but at the end of the day I would rather hear from someone with 1000 fps than any of these wannabes who keep trying to convince themselves and everyone else that 30 fps is all you need.

Flybynumbers! He's back!

Robert Kerr

3D Modeler & Texture Artist

I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz, GTX-970 w/4GB, 8gb DDR 3 RAM, two SSDs, and Win 7 64 bit.

I just built this computer for $1200

i5-4690k

GTX 960

1TB HDD

250GB SSD

8GB RAM

23'' 1920x1080 res monitor/keyboard and mouse

600W PSU

I haven't had the chance to run FSX on it, but I'm anticipating more than decent performance.

I was thinking about the 4690K too.

Check out jetline systems...there is a guy who claims to get 1000 fps with something similar. Just search youtube for "1000 fps fsx"...he is annoying as heck and gets banned repeatidly but never the less he has video proof of it.

Seem like decent systems but the prices are way too much.

For 631 euros, I`m getting this:

Intel Core i5-4690K Box, LGA1150

Gigabyte GA-Z97M-DS3H, Sockel 1150, mATX

8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9

Zalman T4 Mini-Tower

be quiet! PURE POWER L8 400W

EVGA GeForce GTX750 Ftw,2G,Dvi-I+Hdmi+Dp,ACX Fan

Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s

Samsung SH-224DB

And a copy of windows 7 for 20 euros, all in all not a bad price considering the specs!

I had XP for years...and was hesitant to switch to Windows 7 for my new rig simply because XP had served me well. Now...many months later, I am glad I switched over to Windows 7.

I do recommend getting a dedicated system...and a solid state drive. By dedicated system I mean ONLY have fsx related software on your computer. I don't even have anti-virus on mine.

I was thinking about that but the only thing i could afford was a 120gb one. I don`t think thats enough as my current HDD is at 155gb with FSX

Whats wrong with it?

Low wattage can mean excess heat and low voltage on everything under load. Which can long term be hard on everything. You have more drag on there than you may realize. I'd look at 650W and up, probably 750+, if it were mine.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Low wattage can mean excess heat and low voltage on everything under load. Which can long term be hard on everything. You have more drag on there than you may realize. I'd look at 650W and up, probably 750+, if it were mine.

He'll be fine at 500....... it's better to get one that's power efficient then waste more money on higher wattage that you don't need.

He'll be fine at 500....... it's better to get one that's power efficient then waste more money on higher wattage that you don't need.

Obviously your results and mine are HUGELY DIFFERENT!

A few bucks more for a larger power supply? Or hours and hours trying to figure out why your best ever flight was ended before it ended? "Horses for courses."

Yeah, unless the OP is thinking of getting into SLI/Crossfire setups or overclocking, a good quality 500W PSU will be just fine.

Yeah, unless the OP is thinking of getting into SLI/Crossfire setups or overclocking, a good quality 500W PSU will be just fine.

We're talking about the 750... he could have three of those and 500 watts would still be fine.

I'd be more worried about that Gigabyte motherboard given the issues people have had with them and Devil Canyon CPU's.

We're talking about the 750... he could have three of those and 500 watts would still be fine.

I'd be more worried about that Gigabyte motherboard given the issues people have had with them and Devil Canyon CPU's.

Whats wrong with them? Does anyone know of a decent 500w supply for about 50 euros?

Whats wrong with them? Does anyone know of a decent 500w supply for about 50 euros?

https://communities.intel.com/thread/54032?start=0&tstart=0

it's a bit complicated but most people have issues with CPU overheating under heavy load, without even overclocking. I was set to go with the Gigabyte because I like their stiff design on the boards but I ended up going with Asus. I was hoping it'd be my first non Asus Intel build but no luck!

As the saying goes, "Intel doesn't ship until Asus does"

https://communities.intel.com/thread/54032?start=0&tstart=0

it's a bit complicated but most people have issues with CPU overheating under heavy load, without even overclocking. I was set to go with the Gigabyte because I like their stiff design on the boards but I ended up going with Asus. I was hoping it'd be my first non Asus Intel build but no luck!

As the saying goes, "Intel doesn't ship until Asus does"

Thanks for the warning, I`ll probably have to reconsider the motherboard or buy a better cooler.

If we're talking about Irish, he's proposing to use a 400W PSU.

And we, or at least I, always end doing more later than anticipated at the start of a build. I'd rather see more spare power to use six months from now when what he's building needs a little "boost." Which always occurs to me in the next six months.

Thanks for the warning, I`ll probably have to reconsider the motherboard or buy a better cooler.

Can't speak to the Gigabyte board. I always use ASUS. But regardless, better cooler is always better!

Archived