AirAsia flight QZ8501

It's being reported that the Indonesian Transport Minister says Air Asia flight QZ8501 climbed too steeply and stalled.

But my understanding of the Airbus A320 is that its computer would not allow it to exceed the flight envelope, even if the pilot deliberately/inadvertently did something silly.

Why did no one challenged his remarks?

Also keep in mind that what gets reported in the media is often at least partially incorrect or incomplete in their reporting. And then you have politicians trying to look like they're doing something etc. Always best to wait for the final report to get the actual details.

Agreed.

Whenever I saw a newspaper article about my previous profession (TV broadcast transmitters) it was invariably wrong.

Which led me to wonder if, when I saw a report on something I knew nothing about, whether it was correct!

Thanks for your comments.

Hi everyone.

The fact that the recorder shows a high rate of climb is not necessarily due to a high AOA, unless they established that the critical AOA was exceeded, you can easily get in an updraft and climb, gain altitude, at very high rate in a level attitude. If one flies long enough, especially in IMC / stormy Wx., you will likely encounter, and know about these conditions.

More details, analysis, and time, will be needed to get a better idea of what occurred. TV

Archived