Failed Anniversary update install - now MSFS won't start

While waiting for the Anniversary update to install, my PC froze due to a RAM overload and I had no choice but to force a shutdown. After attempting to restart MSFS, it gets stuck endlessly "Checking for Updates" and never starts in both normal and safe mode.

I have seen other threads on "Checking for Updates" taking too long, but none seem to be relevant to a failed update installation.

A couple of things you can try-

Reboot your PC (this has worked for me a lot)

Sign out of your MS Store account, reboot PC, then sign back in and attempt to restart the download.

Also, as another poster wrote, waiting until the mad rush is over might also do the trick

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Microsoft HATES me,

Several months ago, I got a new computer. My old computer worked great with FSX,but would not work with MSFS. I don’t need all the bells and whistles with other versions so I decided on the Standard edition. When I tried to purchase, for whatever reason, the Standard wasn’t available. So I tried Steam. Worked OK but I didn’t want to be dependent on streaming on-line, so I deleted the Steam version. So I searched for the Standard edition and found it at Walmart. Walmart sent me a key but when I clicked on it, it told me that I already owned the game. I deleted any mention of MSFS on my computer and tried again - no luck. I contacted Microsoft help and ended up with some overseas group that wanted me to subscribe to their perpetual Windows service plan. Since they were affiliated with Microsoft, I agreed. They helped me load MSFS Game of the Century. I downloaded it and found myself an Xbox member. I don’t care about Xbox because I only want to fly and I only have a computer, no console. Yesterday, I started to fly and the new “40th Edition” welcome screen showed up, then MSFS crashed. It won’t run and I can’t even load my old version because “I already own it” I’m screwed. I’ll have to buy it all over again. But I’m not sure I can because I already own it.

Well I just bought the Standard Disk version, still having a nightmare but that is another story.

Why did MSFS go this route? What happened to the more simple way, you either download or disk install, it finished, you enetered the code, it then played, job done.

I often think a team sit round the table and get their heads together and think how can we complicate it, maybe there is a method in it, because now you have to phone or send emails, get on to the chat etc, thus giving people jobs, even then you don't always get the answer.

Col.

Microsoft HATES me,

Several months ago, I got a new computer. My old computer worked great with FSX,but would not work with MSFS. I don’t need all the bells and whistles with other versions so I decided on the Standard edition. When I tried to purchase, for whatever reason, the Standard wasn’t available. So I tried Steam. Worked OK but I didn’t want to be dependent on streaming on-line, so I deleted the Steam version. So I searched for the Standard edition and found it at Walmart. Walmart sent me a key but when I clicked on it, it told me that I already owned the game. I deleted any mention of MSFS on my computer and tried again - no luck. I contacted Microsoft help and ended up with some overseas group that wanted me to subscribe to their perpetual Windows service plan. Since they were affiliated with Microsoft, I agreed. They helped me load MSFS Game of the Century. I downloaded it and found myself an Xbox member. I don’t care about Xbox because I only want to fly and I only have a computer, no console. Yesterday, I started to fly and the new “40th Edition” welcome screen showed up, then MSFS crashed. It won’t run and I can’t even load my old version because “I already own it” I’m screwed. I’ll have to buy it all over again. But I’m not sure I can because I already own it.

It's very weired situation for you I understand. May be the new key you have might work if try setting up the SIM somebody else's name. for instance any other member of your family. Regards

Why did MSFS go this route? What happened to the more simple way, you either download or disk install, it finished, you enetered the code, it then played, job done.Col.

MSFS is no different than FSX in this regard.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Well I just bought the Standard Disk version, still having a nightmare but that is another story.

Why did MSFS go this route? What happened to the more simple way, you either download or disk install, it finished, you enetered the code, it then played, job done.

I often think a team sit round the table and get their heads together and think how can we complicate it, maybe there is a method in it, because now you have to phone or send emails, get on to the chat etc, thus giving people jobs, even then you don't always get the answer.

Col.

Why didn't you buy MSFS 2020 through the Microsoft Store rather than buyings the disks? It was way easier and less painful to install. That way you could have installed it and be flying by now. I think you made a huge mistake buying disks. Just my opinion.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

Hey,

Thanks for your replies. I did not buy the disks - it was a download. As I said, when I was ready, the Microsoft store didn't have the Standard version available. I didn't understand that either but that is why I went searching for it in other locations. One more thing that really confused me is that in my searching, Xbox kept showing. I didn't understand what Xbox had to do with the simulator from Microsoft. I was immediately suspicious. I still don't understand the connection. So here it is Sunday morning and I am ready to buy it again. Thanks again for all of your comments.

"Microsoft" Flight Simulator is made by Xbox Game Studios in partnership with Asobo Game Studio.

Regardless of where you buy MSFS from, an Xbox account will be created for you which holds your product licence etc., so don't try to delete it.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64