Rebranding FS9

pilotposer

My thought is that Microsoft would have to be the one to "rebrand" it, since they own the name, and they also own the software (we are licensees, not owners). In any case, what about the other versions, from FS95 to FSX?

Besides, we all know what the fs2004 designation means and, after all these years, why change now, even if it were ours to do? After all, that designation helps us keep the vintage straight and which one of the many it is (in order, even), besides being a universal notation. I doubt that you could get all of the many forums and many simmers to agree on what, when, etc, either, so more confusion. It's a little like trying to change the name of the Chrysler Building or the Sears Tower.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

My thought is that Microsoft would have to be the one to "rebrand" it, since they own the name, and they also own the software (we are licensees, not owners). In any case, what about the other versions, from FS95 to FSX?

Besides, we all know what the fs2004 designation means and, after all these years, why change now, even if it were ours to do? After all, that designation helps us keep the vintage straight and which one of the many it is (in order, even), besides being a universal notation. I doubt that you could get all of the many forums and many simmers to agree on what, when, etc, either, so more confusion. It's a little like trying to change the name of the Chrysler Building or the Sears Tower.

Yes, whatever you want to rename it to, be sure to spend the same budget as MS did to let us all know, and their approval to WHAT you want to rename it to, I reckon 5,000,000 million bucks should do it for this decrepit piece slice of retro... and about 10 million more to publicise your personal rebranding.

Fer gawds sake, get real, pal. It IS what it IS. No more...

Hi all,

I think it's time we drop the 2004 from the FS9 title and rename it.

How about Flight Simulator Classic or something along these lines.

Just a thought.

I’ve got 4 versions on my PC all renamed. As I’ve changed, modified and enhanced it. Call it whatever you like. :)

Anyway, I doubt Microsoft even knows it exists any more.

I’ve got 4 versions on my PC all renamed. As I’ve changed, modified and enhanced it. Call it whatever you like. :)

Anyway, I doubt Microsoft even knows it exists any more.

I agree. We can refer to it anyway we like!

Michael

Perhaps it would slightly make more sense to think about how keeping FS9 attractive and bringing it out of the current lethargy. In any case this will not be possible by just renaming it.

Bernard

Exactly this ^^^

Learn to use the various scenery design utilities, become competent with GMax and/or FSDS (or similar), then produce freeware features that will make people want to use FS9.

Whilst the only "new" additions available are a few 737 repaints or whatever there's little to attract users to a now obsolescent sim ;)

Exactly this ^^^

Learn to use the various scenery design utilities, become competent with GMax and/or FSDS (or similar), then produce freeware features that will make people want to use FS9.

Whilst the only "new" additions available are a few 737 repaints or whatever there's little to attract users to a now obsolescent sim ;)

Obsolete but does nearly everything better then the rest combined. ;)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I take immense pride and revel in the fact that I'm a Niner. ;)

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

'Don't change nuthin'! As others have said, call it whatever you want on your own home installation. In the forums, this flightsim.com, and elsewhere, there is enough alternative naming already to cause confusion, especially to newbies. The best and preferred nominal naming is 'FS' FSyyyy for the official year of the product (even though annoyingly Microsoft released each of them the year before!) hence we all understand the naming convention: FS98 (for 1998), FS2000, FS2002, FS2004 (aka FS9), FSX (for the tenth iteration, i.e. FS10, or 2010?), FS2020, ... . The alternative of FS9 etc. (for the 9th iteration of the FS lineage?) we also understand. Whatever any individual wants to use as an alias is their business. Edited by MAD1