Super Connie at OAK

While just playing around I discovered I had taken some screen shots of a TWA Super Connie at OAK. Some might ask, what was a TWA bird doing flying out of OAK? Hey, in a sim world, we don't need to be 100% accurate to history all the time.

1 resized at OAK.jpg

2 resized ccloseup.jpg

3 Took Off.jpg

4 Inflight.jpg

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

While just playing around I discovered I had taken some screen shots of a TWA Super Connie at OAK. Some might ask, what was a TWA bird doing flying out of OAK? Hey, in a sim world, we don't need to be 100% accurate to history all the time.

Michael

Nice shots of a classic bird. Actually - it appears that TWA Connies did fly out of Oakland!! See this link:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/OaklandHistory/posts/1924531157783533/

Interesting! I don't recall ever seeing anything in TWA logo that far west.

Although I flew in and out several times in various aircraft, my memory of OAK is forever marred by a flight I was a passenger on from there in 1966. That was an it seemed like it took forever, nonstop flight to Honolulu on a DC-6 owned and operated, if my memory is correct, by Saturn Air.

(Rumors at the time were that LBJ's wife was a principle in Saturn Air, but I don't know that as a fact either way.)

That bird seemed so slow we talked, and we had a ton of hours to talk while watching them switch crews in flight, about whether a fast motor boat could out run it.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Nice shots of the Connie at Oakland Michael! :cool:

Looks like TWA Super Connie landed at Oakland in Sept. 1955. I didn't follow up with my research, but if it arrived it also departed. :D

Click to enlarge

TWA-1955.jpg

Larry