Add-ons that do not work with Win 10

Skywatcher12

I've only found a couple of "won't work properly" add-ons, as yet no total failures.

EZ-Scenery from Abacus needs it's serial number re-entered an a regular basis, so much so I keep a text file on my desktop with the details in and just copy and paste.

JustFlight's "Flying Club" wouldn't re-install from the CD … I emailed them and they supplied a "workaround" to bypass the W10 "security" issues :)

Nice to see you again Mark.
Corsair 4000X RGB Mid-Tower ATX, CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM650x, GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 Gaming Motherboard , AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core/16-Thread 3.8GHz base, 4.7GHz, GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8G, CORSAIR H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB)

Windows 10 doesn’t work with Windows 10!!! :p :D

Windows 11 seems to work, but this is about Win 10.

Corsair 4000X RGB Mid-Tower ATX, CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM650x, GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 Gaming Motherboard , AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core/16-Thread 3.8GHz base, 4.7GHz, GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8G, CORSAIR H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB)

I know this is about add-ons, but I'm a faithful user of CH Products devices (Fighterstick, Pro-Throttle and Pro-Pedals) and find that their software called CH Control Manager doesn't work properly in Win10. I believe the reason is that Win10 is a 64-bit operating system whereas CH Control Manager is 32-bit. It works about 50% of the time and the other 50% would simply freeze up. The compatibility settings trick doesn't really help.
i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

I believe the reason is that Win10 is a 64-bit operating system whereas CH Control Manager is 32-bit. It works about 50% of the time and the other 50% would simply freeze up.

If it was a bit-width problem, it wouldn't work at all.

FWIW I've had CH products for almost 20 years - never used the Control Manager at all. Didn't miss it.

Cheers!

Hands down, it would be the VRS Super Bug for FS9 (F/A-18E).

I finally found a web store where I could buy the software (which I'm not going to list, just check the title of this thread) and I knew it was going to be an uphill battle. :rolleyes:

The Super Bug is supposed to be a stand-alone aircraft in FS9 as it is (you're supposed to reconfigure your keyboard and joystick inputs from the start), the separate load and config program had Win 10 sending me "Gee Dave, I don't know about this?" messages and I finally just gave up.

The aircraft looks great. You can get through a limited start-up and the sounds are very convincing, you'll just never get the flight controls to do much of anything. :confused: You can take a similar aircraft up to altitude then switch over to the VRS Hornet and it will drop like a brick as the engines spool down. :p

Still, I was able to borrow the main sound folder for the KBT Super Hornet and while its limited, it works really well. :cool:

VRS also supplied a full set of voice pack callsigns you can add as needed.

Otherwise, stay away and fly the KBT version if you really need a Super Hornet. :pilot:

There may be a fix on the VRS Superbug forums: http://forums.vrsimulations.com/forums/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1810

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

So far I believe I've yet to encounter something (FS9) that doesn't work with windows 10.

There may have been a couple of payware aircraft but - if I recall it right - it was because their site/registration process was no longer available.

I installed/reinstalled FS9 and most addons some 3 or 4 times in the past couple of years and registered none of the problems usually mentioned.

Good to see you back.

Joao Paz

Alaskan Winds, L'Air Azur

Mark, anything that originally came with a 16 bit installer will not work I can tell you that. Mostly stuff issued before 2007 (such as the Blueprint sceneries purchased at that time). Many do offer a "repurchase offer" with the new installer.

Glad to see you back here.

DR

To view my repaints and other stuff just click on the image below!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just for laughs I tried loading the Bug again. Sometimes it pays to keep aircraft installed. :p

Its working now, after something like 8 months. :confused: I don't know if this was something that got fixed during a Win update or if VRS checked their old registrations?

I'm still not in a hurry to remap my stick and keyboard and the Bug is a bit of a procedural nightmare :eek: but I did manage to do some shots and traps off a carrier after I got the feel for the inputs.

Still not recommended unless you run the correct home cockpit and big $$$ controllers (you'll want a DCS grade HOTAS and stick). There's too much finger dancing when you're in the pattern for my tastes. :p

• 2 weeks later...
I'd like to add to here Scruffy Ducks most recent version of Airport Design Editor. As of now, provided the developers do not release an update to address this, the only way to run it to my knowledge is to start uninstalling several Windows 10 updates that prevent it from compiling .bgl files due to a dependency on something called MSXML 4. Currently am relying on AFCAD Version 2.21 since it is not reliant on such dependencies to compile .bgl files.