No Biggie, But Why Is Detail Missing in Barcelona?

After installing WU 8 the other day, I flew around Barcelona. With photogrammetry enabled, everything looked great. But then I noticed that the Sagrada Familia seemed to lack detail. (Here's a screenshot, below). Then I compared it with the cover screenshot on the announcement in the news on this website ("MSFS 2020 World Update 8 Released," Mar 24, 2022). You will see that the screenshot on this site has a good deal more detail, conspicuously including the central spire with the cross on top, and the ornamentation on the tops of the others spires, plus the columns over the exposed rock face at the base of the basilica.

My specs are below. I have just gone almost 3 months without a CTD, and recently MSFS has been behaving better than ever for me. I have my graphics set as recommended in the SoFly Manual, with FPS limited to 32 on my Nvidia control panel. For the most part, the detail I'm seeing seems to me exemplary. So what can I do to see the details on the Sagrada Familia? (And maybe I'm missing out on some other features, too.)

Thanks all,

Mac6737

i7-8700 3.7 GHz

GeForce GTX 1070 Ti; 8GB onboard

AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 LGA 1151 ATX motherboard

16GB RAM

2 TB hard drive

27” MSI gaming monitor

Sagrada Familia 2.jpg

After installing WU 8 the other day, I flew around Barcelona. With photogrammetry enabled, everything looked great. But then I noticed that the Sagrada Familia seemed to lack detail.

Have you installed the Spain, Portugal and Gibraltar update in the Marketplace, along with the other updates in Content Manager?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Tim,

I believe that's what World Update was!

As Tim suggested, your screenshot belongs to Barcelona scenery prior to WU8. You need to make sure you've got the update in your Content Manager. If you don't, you'll have to "buy" it (free of charge) in the in-game Marketplace.

Interestingly enough, the current state of the works on the real-world Sagrada Familia is somewhere between both scenery versions: more advanced than shown in your screenshot, but yet lacking the central spire and some other features. The intended finish date was 2026 (to commemorate 100 years from designer Antoni Gaudi's decease), but Covid crisis has made that uncertain.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

Tim,

I believe that's what World Update was!

Just be clear, the World Scenery updates involve two steps: downloading the mandatory update, and then going into Content Manager to install the new scenery. This is not intuitive and causes confusion with every update -- I have at times forgotten step 2 and wondered why I didn't see any change in the scenery!

Edited by cobalt

Just be clear, the World Scenery updates involve two steps: downloading the mandatory update, and then going into Content Manager to install the new scenery. This is not intuitive and causes confusion with every update -- I have at times forgotten step 2 and wondered why I didn't see any change in the scenery!

I knew about Step 2, and thought I completed it. Dan (post above) says I have the pre-update version of Sagrada Familia, but I visited Gibraltar (LXGB) after the update, and it looks greatly improved over last week. So it seems my update was completed. And yet . . . .

One other fact: I just went to the Store. My account shows no MSFS updates available, but down low on the list, there's a listing for the Deluxe Premium Edition (which I own), and an option to "Install from Xbox App." Don't know what this means, but I want as little to do with Xbox as possible.

BTW: Aren't these World Updates "mandatory"? If so, how can you run the sim without completing the 2-step process?

The World Updates are NOT "Mandatory". I have only installed about half of them. I really am not the target audience for the World Updates. I tend to prefer to explore the obscure and remote as opposed to popular points of interest. For example, I have flown over Daltil, NM (2) more of than NYC (0). You may not know, but Datil has the distinction of being the quietest electromagnetic location in the USA. Very near there, is a massive radio telescope on rails. Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

. You may not know, but Datil has the distinction of being the quietest electromagnetic location in the USA. .

Now you have let the cat out of the bag. All the simmers will be flying and broadcasting over Datil and ruining it for the telescope. :-)

Windows 11, GeForce GTX 1660ti; 3.60 gigahertz AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core; Kingston SA2000M81000G SSD; 16 gb RAM; CH yoke; Saitek pedals; Three monitors; TrackIR 3.

Yes, plainsman is right, the World updates are not mandatory -- I stand corrected. But they do require two steps to install. As for the Sagrada Familia, the actual building is still not complete, as stated below. I suspect that the current (updated) version in MSFS reflects this.

The World Updates are NOT "Mandatory". I have only installed about half of them...

Free scenery, not installed??? Lack of disk space?

I admit I UN-installed over hundred of the XBOX/MS Flight Simulator/World Travel etc. livery garbage, but free scenery enhancements?

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

As for the Sagrada Familia, the actual building is still not complete, as stated below. I suspect that the current (updated) version in MSFS reflects this.

In fact WU8 depicts the Sagrada Familia as it is intended to be once finished, which is actually a few years away. Before the update it showed as work in progress, as it was approximately in Aug 2020.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

I have plenty of disc space (over 650GB free), but I know I am unlikely to use it. It adds to load time. Consider that my most used airports are currently, KFMZ, KPHG, KMCI, and KDAY. I do fly out of Scandinavia, Germany and Austria, but not the airports and locations they think are interesting. I think I have actually only visited one POI location across the sim (one in Germany). Why add to overhead I won't use? I am patiently waiting for an ATR42-600 or a Q200, to fly out of smaller regional airports.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

In fact WU8 depicts the Sagrada Familia as it is intended to be once finished, which is actually a few years away. Before the update it showed as work in progress, as it was approximately in Aug 2020.

As my OP said, the pic on the announcement about WU 8 on this website shows a central spire with cross, etc., so I guess you're right. But I think this thread establishes that I have indeed installed the update, yet don't have the to-be-completed Sagrada F. Go figure.

In that case, it's a mystery to me too. I have the complete update, and this is how the Sagrada Familia looks in my sim:

Sagrada.jpg

I have Photogrammetry switched off, as you can see - maybe that's the reason?

Edit: To answer my own question, no it isn't:

Sagrada2.jpg

Edited by tiger1962

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

OK, everyone, stand down and stand by!

This evening, I went into the in-game Marketplace, and there among the weeds was -- wait for it -- WU VIII! Clicked on it. It said I owned it! Directed me to Content Manager. Clicked "Install," and after a time, it was "Up to Date." Went to LEBL, and found the Sagrada in all its (projected) splendor.

I swear I did a 2-step install the other day, and also swear that my Content Manager didn't have WU VIII waiting to be installed when I began this thread.

Someone said here that the updates are confusing. Well, if someone who knows there are 2 steps, downloads, goes to Content Mgr. and clicks on something, yet still has not installed the thing, it's more than merely "confusing."

(BTW, that still doesn't explain the enhancements of Gibraltar I noticed AFTER I thought I installed WU VIII.)

I swear I did a 2-step install the other day, and also swear that my Content Manager didn't have WU VIII waiting to be installed when I began this thread.

I have NOTHING to say about that, LOL! I just turned 60 and I'm already having "senior moments" myself!

(BTW, that still doesn't explain the enhancements of Gibraltar I noticed AFTER I thought I installed WU VIII.)

If that REALLY makes you uneasy, I'd uninstall WU8, then take some Gibraltar pics (and Sagrada Familia if you want, just to make sure ;)), then reinstall WU8 and compare. You can uninstall and reinstall it as many times as you want.

(That in addition to what Tim said, of course) :D