FSDreamteam KLAS & KDFW in XP?

Ottersphere

Hey crew,

Do any of you know if there's a way to get the current versions of FSDreamteam's KLAS & KDFW, which specify Windows 8.1 as the minimum OS, to work on XP? The original versions did but the current files on the FSDT website do not. I'm wondering if installing them on a modern machine and then copying certain files over to the XP machine would work.................Guessing if there is a way it will take some creativity.

Alternatively, anybody know where to get the original versions?

Thanks as always!

Yeah, with any other scenery I’m sure it wouldn’t be a problem but FSDreamteam is particularly difficult between their coding and addon manager. I bought KLAS before I saw that it didn’t support XP and it installed fine but everything was gray. Not sure if that was due to the bglman.dll (addon manager) or what. Never occurred to me that an FS9 product wouldn’t be XP compatible. Anyway, the scenery is by far the best out there so I will exhaust every possibility.

• 2 weeks later...

So after installing the current versions into FS2004 on a Windows 10 machine and then copying the files to the XP machine, it was confirmed that I will have to find the original versions. FSDT changed all the coding so the XP compatibility is lost. Upon scouring the internet, I found out that FSDT can't believe anyone would want to run FS2004 on XP in modern times, so that's why they changed the current versions.

Again, if anyone has or knows where to get the originals, circa 2008-09 or so, please let me know. Or, if anyone knows how to manipulate the current files back to XP compatibility, please let me know. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

Hey All,

Got a happy update for you regarding the old Windows XP versions of the FS9.1 FSDT sceneries.

Turns out that PC Aviator actually has them on their website. Different prices for each one, but they are all there as of July 2022. Most are correctly located in the FS2004 Scenery/Airports section but a couple are in the FSX Scenery/Airports section.

As I stumbled upon them by accident and triple checked the listed system requirements, I couldn't believe it. XP SP3 was listed as a supported OS! I figured the website just hadn't been updated for a while and that these were outdated links that surely wouldn't work. I was very confused as Umberto over at FSDT told me recently that even if I found the XP installers, activation would be impossible since the eSellerate company that handled the online activation back then not only stopped supporting XP, but eventually went out of business in 2019. Made sense. Well, I have no idea how, but I was able to activate them. Just opened the respective airport in the Add-On manager in the sim, entered the Registration Number provided by PC Aviator after purchase, and clicked activate. I have no idea what server it's connecting to, but it worked!

Anyway, hope this helps any of you wanting to use FS9 in XP.

Edited by Ottersphere

Well that's cool. Glad you were able to find those vintage installers and they worked to boot!

It's funny you mention PC Aviator because I was just doing some cleaning yesterday and ran across an old CD (DVD?) box I have from PC Aviator of Mega Scenery for most of New England. It is PC Aviator branded with two sectional charts and a pretty cool booklet of all the approach plates of the area for Sim use.

Seems like a fine company and their banner indicates they've been around since 1990. I don't know much about them though, but have bought products from them in the past. I've also bought from this website's company as well.

Addendum:

Oh! About that network traffic. LOL You can just run a network sniffer like Wireshark or Nirsoft's Smartsniff and watch what the remote IPs. I do this ALL the time. One day I'll run the pfSense (a damn fine firewall) so I can REALLY see the network traffic no matter at what layer its at. i.e., via UEFI or what ever. Yes, UEFI has its own network stack which is just rife for shenanigans...

Anyway, if you get the IP addresses, use this website which is pretty much the horses mouth at the BGP (Border Gateway Protocol) level. Like a phone book... https://bgp.he.net/ There are others as well like https://bgpview.io/. But that'll just tell you the owner of the IP and its hosting provider. So it could be Amazon AWS, Digital Ocean, Cloudflare, Choopa, OVH, Stackpath, Akamai, Bunny CDN and the list goes on and on let me tell you.

I could figure it out though and whether eSellerate owns the IPs.

(Added the GPS for looks. Actually paid a whole $2 for it at a second hand store).

edageert.jpg

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

I'm mostly just happy that they work but yeah, if you want to try to figure the server out it would be interesting to know.

Got all of PC Aviator's stuff for FS9 and will definitely look into them for FSX too. Great stuff historically!