A Few More FSX-SE Questions. How-To...

JonBuck

Need more help with FSX-SE. I’m still discovering just how different FSX-SE is from the orig. boxed edition. Turns out my learning curve is much steeper than I anticipated. I’m hoping that some of you more knowledgeable gents can help me out once more with a few more basic questions.

1. After downloading FSX-SE I finally found it under C:STEAM> steamapps> common> FSX, not under C:Drive where the disk version is normally installed. Is that where it is supposed to be?
  2. I bought 2 FSX-SE acft add-ons from the Steam Store which installed them automatically. They show up when I open FSX-SE, but I can’t find their files. Don’t see them in SimObjects where the default acft. are located​. What happens to Steam add-on files? Where does Steam install them?
  3. What about installing add-ons created for FSX disk version into FSX-SE? If they come with an installer, will it install them in the Steam version, or do you have to place them manually? If so….
  4. Where do non-steam add-on aircraft go…into SimObejts> Aircraft , gauges, etc. ?
  5. Also, What about non-steam scenery add-ons. Where do they go?

New Subject: I won’t be needing/using many of the default aircraft like the helicopters, sailplanes, aerobatics and others. Essentially, I don’t want/need all the aircraft FSX gives me.

1. Is there an easy way to removing them from the Aircraft roster just so they won’t always have to see them when I go to pick an aircraft?

JonB :confused:

1. YES!

2. I think that payware aircraft are located in a file/folder labeled DLC.

3. Not real sure about how an older auto-installer will work.

4. Non-Steam aircraft should go into the SimObjects folder and gauges, effects into their proper places.

5. Scenery should install into the Scenery Library.

6. I put unused aircraft into a Hangar folder that I created. Keep in mind, that if you fly the Missions in FSX, they use some of those aircraft as AI and the Mission will not run correctly without them.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Well hello there Mr. Zippy! Nice to hear from you again. Thanks for coming to my rescue once again!!

I understand your responses and they put me a little more at ease with FSX-SE. I'm a bit confused by some of the differences between it and the older disk version.

Am intrigued by your use of a "Hangar" folder to store unwanted aircraft. Where do you keep it and when you want to remove an aircraft do you move the entire acft file from the airplane folder to the Hangar folder or just the .cfg or one of the other files, just enough so that it doesn't show but can be easily restored?

I seldom fly the default missions. I normally use FSX for IFR currency practice and sometimes make up my own "mission". So many of the defaults are just taking up spaced and memory.

Another question if I may. With the disk version, I used to make backup copies of the entire Flight Simulator X folder...just in case. So do you backup your SE folder? If so, how? I will be adding some non-steam acft and scenery and don't want to lose them entirely if SE ever acts up like the old disk version did on occasion.

JonB :)

PS just found the DLC folder. What's that all about and what does DLC stand for, do you know?

My Hangar folder was inside of the Main FSX folder. Just moved the aircraft folder back an forth when needed.

I didn't have the Steam edition so I would be guessing about how to back up the entire FSX-SE.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

So do you backup your SE folder? If so, how?

Yes I do. Just by coping and pasting FSX folder to an external driver. In fact it would even be sufficant to backup only Addon Scenery and SimObjects folders and scenery.cfg file, as everything else will be installed by Steam. As long as it will be available, of course!

You might adding subfolders in SimOjects main folder as many as you want. Only those which are activated in FSX.cfg would be shown.

Bernard

Edited by leuen

I have a couple of Hangar folders in (boxed) FSX -- should work the same in Steam. One I leave in the Simobjects/Airplane folder -- easy moving back and forth), and the other in Simobjects, to facilitate the less frequent moving of things in the other Object folders, and I include an airplanes_FS9 folder (for my imported FS9 aircraft) and a Rotorcraft folder (plus some others) in Simobjects, alongside the Animals, Ships, etc. folders, being sure to make an entry in the fsx.cfg to include the new folders in the search field. The entry would be under [Main] and look something like:

SimObjectPaths.7=SimObjects\airplanes_FS9

with the number changing on each entry.

So long as you make the appropriate search entries, you can put aircraft most anywhere for use (may need FULL pathname in some cases), so Hangar, obviously, should not be included in the search field.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!