FSX on windows 7

sparkie2910

Hello

lm still new to fsx and this is the first time l've come across this problem lve downloaded a few add ons but l cant seem to find the fsx folder on my laptop. so l go to programs/games/fsx, but as soon as l click on fsx it actually starts running fsx and doesnt take me to the files where l need to drop my add ons any suggestions?

many thanks

What the zippie said is where config files and such go, but if you installed FSX on Win 7 in Programs/Games, there should be an FSX folder in which you'll find the fsx.exe and a whole lot of other folders and files. But a lot depends on what your add-ons are. Although they all go somewhere under the root FSX folder, there should be, within that folder, an Addon Scenery folder where you'd put scenery and there should be a SimObjects folder with an Airplanes folder in it where you'd put aircraft add-ons.

If your add-on(s) aren't aircraft or scenery, then mention what they are and we can find the appropriate place. But first you need to find the root (main, or home) folder for FSX (not the .exe file).

I suspect you have hidden files still hidden, which may confuse you when you start roaming through the file structure. If so, you need to go into Windows Explorer under Tools/Folder Options to the View tab and change your settings to Show hidden files and folders.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

If you install FSX (or FS9) under Program Files you will have problems due to Win7 'permissions'. Best to install elsewhere. You should start over as otherwise you will suffer. On NEW install try 'C:/FSX'. No need to do 'C:/Program Files/FSX' (because you don't want it in Program Files!!!).Your 'FSX exe' file will then reside in 'C:/FSX' (and NOT under 'user','roaming',etc). There (C:/FSX) you will find 'Simobjects' folder. Under that you can make folder for your addons ('Aircraft FSX' is idea). Under 'Airplanes' are found the DEFAULT aircraft (NO ADDONS HERE). Same with scenery. Make folder under FSX named 'Addon Scenery Mine'. The 'Addon Scenery' folder should not have any addon scenery files. Good luck.

Chuck B

Napamule

PS: My 'simbjects/aircraft fsx' folder is 8 Gb, 20,000 files in 1,000 folders. Never had a problem!

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).