Weird locator when doing ifr approach

Code Monkey 61

I've spent some time learning ifr. I have been focusing on take off and nav both with and without AP.

I tried my first approach and landing last night.

Approach ksan from the east. Loc set to 111.55 per flight plate. Loc shows proper code.

At last waypoint loc direction arrow was 90 degrees off from approach path. Obviously when I switched from GPS to Loc thing didn't go well. (I knew it was wrong, just wanted to see what it would do :) ).

I have reviewed many approach vids and it seems pretty straight forward so this behavior has me baffled.

Can someone give a few suggestions or post a link to a written tutorial (vids tend to gloss over the little things like which buttons to push).

Thanks! I am looking forward to progressing with the help of other sim'ers.

Locator? Are you referring to the localizer? The horizontal portion of the ILS? 111.55 is the freq for runway 09, or landing to the east. Were you trying to land on runway 27 (westbound)? Approaching from the east puts you on the back course, which means reverse sensing on the needle, which could be confusing if you aren't aware of what is happening, and the approach is designed for the final approach leg to be from the west.

So perhaps you could be a bit more complete in your description of the approach that you made, because when coming from the east it's not a straightforward procedure of follow the beam (procedure turn and other things are needed), and I don't see an approved or published back course approach for you to use.

Also what is the "waypoint loc direction arrow"? Are you using an HSI or another type of display? What aircraft and what sim are you using, since that can affect what you are encountering.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!