Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This Update Has Been a Total Disaster!

Quote Originally Posted by billythebassman View Post
    Of course, of course--the problem is with us the community of users--not with the company that has strung us along for a year before release to almost a year after release with promises to deliver something it knows it doesn't have---a usable sim.
    Which they advise us of with every update in the Release Notes.

And please, I know that there are those for whom this is "good enough" or those that are sure it will be fixed one day (based on what evidence-certainly not history)
    Evidently, Microsoft and Xbox Game Studios have repeatedly stated that MSFS will continue to be developed by Asobo Game Studios for the next 10 years.

I would just point out to them that they have their standards and we have ours.
    And stamping your foot is going to impress who, exactly?
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Xbox Series X and a big smile! Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k, Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    Which they advise us of with every update in the Release Notes.

Evidently, Microsoft and Xbox Game Studios have repeatedly stated that MSFS will continue to be developed by Asobo Game Studios for the next 10 years.

And stamping your foot is going to impress who, exactly?
    I don't consider this question of standards to be "foot stamping." In fact, I think it has been the over-arching (and unacknowledged) subject of debate since the beginning. It is exactly the context in which these differences of opinion can be understood IMO. After each update we are simply told to lower our expectations yet again. Is this good for the community of users?

After each update we are simply told to lower our expectations yet again. Is this good for the community of users?
    For those who perceive that they must lower their expectations, yes.
    They are most likely to be the ones who have no concept of the processes involved and feel entitled to a finished product from the start when they were clearly told (as we all were) that the product would be in development for the next 10 years.
    Xbox Series X and a big smile! Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 32Gb Corsair DDR4 3000, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k, Win 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    For those who perceive that they must lower their expectations, yes.
    They are most likely to be the ones who have no concept of the processes involved and feel entitled to a finished product from the start when they were clearly told (as we all were) that the product would be in development for the next 10 years.
    Were we really told not to expect a finished product (i.e.one usable for more than 5 minutes without a CTD) until 10 years had passed? If so, I must have missed it. Nine more years of frustration, misrepresentations, broken add-ons, degradation of the one distinguishing thing that would have made this sim worth considering--graphics?

Nine more years of:

-graphics degradation being "sold" as "performance enhancements"

- being advised to "disable this--turn this feature off",

-Advice not to look left or right while flying

I think this reinforces my original point: If we continue to say we are content with this process--that it's OK with us--we are sure to get nothing other than more of it.

I sometimes feel as if I have bought a shiny new car with a promise that "the wheels will be available in a few years." Perhaps you have a point; I should have read the fine print.

Perhaps you have a point; I should have read the fine print.
    Well, it wasn't exactly fine print and still isn't, they put it all on the landing page of the flightsimulator.com website and update it every week, but yes this IS what we all paid for.
    It's a LONG time since we had an actively supported Microsoft Flight Simulator, and I can understand that it takes some getting used to, but these monthly updates are FREE unlike the annual or bi-annual updates from Laminar Research or Lockheed-Martin which can also cause major problems from time to time.
    Last edited by tiger1962; 07-30-2021 at 01:33 PM.

Glad you're good with it, brother.

BTW it is a lifelong dream of mine to visit Yorkshire. The many films and videos made there reveal a most beautiful place!

OK, at this point in time some folks justifiably regard the latest MSFS update as a disaster, while others think it is fabulous. To some degree, this seems to happen after every update, though in this case the comments appear more extreme -- as in "TOTAL disaster" -- even if the trolls are discounted. I personally have had a foot in both camps. I spent over two frustrating days trying to get the update installed, with the process stalling over and over as files tried repeatedly to load but without success; each time that happened, I re-started and it resumed, only to stall again.Note: this was with an empty Community folder; no addons. The last straw was when the upload reached 99% and stalled with only a couple of MB remaining-- at that point my wife heard language she had never heard me use before! The solution, finally, was to go into OneStore and delete the last couple of update folders, forcing them to reload. That did the trick and the sim was able to start.

This transformed my experience from a disaster to almost unimaginable joy. I am seeing performance unlike anything I've had up to now in MSFS (and light years beyond any earlier sim). With pretty nearly all settings at ultra, numerous addons, real weather, live real-world traffic, Bing data on, and the frame rate limit at 60, I am seeing absolutely smooth flying with 50-60 FPS (occasionally dropping into the 40s) in the TBM930 everywhere I fly, including some of the most scenery-dense areas such as London, New York, LA, Washington DC, and other places notorious as frame rate killers. The graphics look terrific. It is hard to believe I am not dreaming.

That said, it is really unfortunate that so many people are having problems, and I hope that most of these will soon be resolved -- hopefully with the soon-to-be-released patch --so that everyone can enjoy this incredible simulator.

Alienware Aurora R11, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F, GeForce TX2080 Super.

It’s a lifelong dream of mine to leave Yorkshire LOL
    Seriously though, yes it does have some nice places. I regularly visit the Yorkshire dales.. quite stunning.

Regards
    Steve
    Intel I9-10900K - Gigabyte Z490 Vision G - 64Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte RTX2080ti - 3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs
    Corsair HXi series 1000W 80+ Platinum PSU - 1x500gb & 1x1TB M.2 SSDs. - Reverb G2 VR Headset
    Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit - Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

[QUOTE=tiger1962;2161822]
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdish View Post
    Why oh why can't flight simmers look before they leap?
    Tiger, if you're talking to me, the meat of my lengthy post was hardly blue knobs that I didn't know how to disable. The problem, as I said, is that I no longer have a playable flight simulator. Nothing in the 2 links you include is responsive to that signal fact.

Others, apparently, have not suffered such total malfunction, and maybe these latest problems will be fixed in time. But I don't think you can chide people for "leaping without looking" when they accept a mandatory update to a program for which they paid $119 or so.

Maybe Asobo should look before they release!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac6737 View Post
    Maybe Asobo should look before they release!
    Amen to that! I hope the Hotfix works for you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast