Simmer for decades with add-ons under my belt.... MSFS is good when it works....

I have had to reinstall MSFS three times. I have lost products that I paid for such as the Jabiru. I have had my internet slowed due to having to download the program AGAIN. Why do we HAVE to download updates before we can fly? The whole thing is a mess. Tuesday night - I get a cup of chocolate and snuggle-up to the computer so I can go flying.... I try to load the program... UPDATE!!!!!! Gonna take the better part of a day to download and will ruin you internet access for the next few weeks... And a month later? UPDATE!!!! Edited by northeast

Hi,

sorry to hear you’re having problems. The first question is.. why have you lost your payware addons? You shouldn’t lose any just because you have reinstalled it. I’ve done several installations myself (including completely formatting the pc) but I still have my addons, stored in a folder, complete with serial keys if needed... including the Jabaru.

Of course addons bought from the Marketplace are the easiest to reinstall.

Asobo constantly updating it as you know. With the sim being (mainly) an online sim, we all need to be using the same version.. hence the updates being mandatory. I suppose this is a pain if your broadband isn’t all that fast, but it’s a requirement I’m afraid.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Why do we HAVE to download updates before we can fly?

It's because the main data files for the sim are held on servers. When those are updated, everyone accessing them must also update.

Asobo will release 6 sim updates and 6 world updates every year for the next 10 years.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

A substantial portion of MSFS 2020 IS online. This latest and IMHO greatest iteration of home flight sims is VERY demanding of PC resources too. These are two well-known factors that should influence one's decision to purchase and play this game. In my case I purposely upgraded my PC to meet at least the published middle recommendation and increased my XFinity internet to 200mbps which works marvelously.

Since the game only uses a person's internet bandwidth while playing the game, I don't understand how it could influence one's internet access capabilities outside of gameplay time?

As to the other comment, downloading (or uploading) anything online does NOT 'slow down' my internet speed, my internet speed is whatever my provider is supplying at that moment. It DOES use bandwidth which could limit what else I could be doing at the same time online, but the speed is not slowed down.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Since the game only uses a person's internet bandwidth while playing the game, I don't understand how it could influence one's internet access capabilities outside of gameplay time?

If you're on an Unlimited data package, it doesn't, but if you have a data limit it certainly will.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Let's take an analogy. Would you buy a 2021 Acura, then put 5 quartz of 20 weight from a case of oil your dad left in the garage in 1948, then complain that the car is a mess when the engine seizes? Of course not!! The spec requirements say you need 20MB/s of internet speed and you really need 30MB/s to run it acceptably. That should be part of the consideration to purchase the sim. If you don't have the internet speed, there are other less demanding simulators that will work. You don't blame the software for your lack of facilities. At 78MB/s my downloads take a few hours, never all day!

I know you may not have good internet coverage, but that isn't reason to say "the whole thing is a mess"!

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

...and will ruin you internet access for the next few weeks...

Why is that? The updates are quite big and therefore takes along time - I'll give you that. But in my experience, the pain of a slowed internet connection only lasts as long as the update takes. I see no reason why your connection would be ruined for weeks.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

He apparently has a data limited plan. Once he has used a fixed amount of data, the carrier throttles his speed until the next month of the subscription.

I don't know if he has an option to upgrade to an unlimited plan, which he needs?

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU