Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Community Folder Content Affect Load Time?

Question Does Community Folder Content Affect Load Time?

IOW, will MSFS take longer to load if there's a lot of add-ons in your Community folder?

It took me over 14 minutes to get to the Welcome screen today. OK, that's more than twice the usual. But still . . . .

Oh, BTW, I haven't put a lot of stuff in Community all of a sudden.

Yes, it does. Minimize what you put in Community by using an addon manager (which actually puts only links to files, not the actual files, in Community). Many posts in this forum have discussed this.

The easy answer to your question is yes.

If you continue to add/insert files into the Community Folder load times will increase. This perpetuates with each file you add.

I recommend a MASTER COPY of the Community Folder somewhere else on the computer from which you can pull only the files relevant to your current flight, such as airports, planes, etc. This will minimize loading times due to Community Folder content congestion.

As Asobo updates Microsoft Flight Simulator, the downloaded files in the Community Folder MAY have to be updated, as well, to continue to work and not stall loading into the sim.
    Timberleaf
    Win 10 | Area 51 R5 | i7 9800x 4.5 GHz | RTX 2080 8GB | 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4 | HP Envy 34c
    "One woman's chop is another man's turbulence"

There are also programs made to turn off (without deleting) files in your Community folder. I use MSFS Addons Linker (https://www.flightsim.to/file/1572/msfs-addons-linker)

it is free and allows me to turn off whichever files, such as scenery I don't want to load up. Great way to organize and keep the load times down.
    Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce GTX 1660, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler

Quote Originally Posted by davidc2 View Post
    There are also programs made to turn off (without deleting) files in your Community folder. I use MSFS Addons Linker (https://www.flightsim.to/file/1572/msfs-addons-linker)

it is free and allows me to turn off whichever files, such as scenery I don't want to load up. Great way to organize and keep the load times down.
    A little clarification here. MSFS Addons Linker does not "turn off" files in Community. What it does, is allows you to select which scenery addons you want for a particular flying session, and then places links to those files (not the actual files) in Community. Bottom line: no actual scenery files go into Community, which is a huge space-saver and greatly reduces load times in cases where many scenery addons are selected.

I dont see how that's a space saver. The files are saved somwhere
    17-10700K, RTX3060TI, 32 ram, 500G M.2 SSD. Windows10, MSFS on 500 SSD

If the Community Folder is saved to your C drive (have no idea if mine is, lol), then a lot of people would want those files usually moved somewhere else. A number of people use C drive for JUST the OS
    Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce GTX 1660, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler

Quote Originally Posted by hansb57 View Post
    I dont see how that's a space saver. The files are saved somwhere
    Correct, but they will be saved on a a different drive, rather than on the one where MSFS is. That's the important thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by davidc2 View Post

May I disagree with ALL of you?

I say Community folder affects loading times very little, you should test it yourselves.

Have tested with empty or full Community folder several times and the loading lapses are random maybe depending on other things you did before in your PC, loaded programs still there etc. In fact some loading times were shorter with a full Community folder so it doesnt make sense

From computer logic side it also doesnt make sense. The Community folder is there so the sim will look at it AFTER you have chosen to load a scenario. With aircraft yes, it looks and loads in the Hangar whatever aircraft you have in Community but its not a killer, it just reads your thumbnail planes, it doesnt "load" them. With sceneries it will only look at Community once you choose that area to fly. Same as utilities. The logic is it will load as needed.

David I also found the LInker complicated, nuisance to use, its easier just to put files in another dir and move them whenever wish to use it
    I maybe wrong, someone need to do clinical tests and debugging steps to time the effects of community in loading
    Kapitan
    Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Quote Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post
    May I disagree with ALL of you?

I say Community folder affects loading times very little, you should test it yourselves.

Have tested with empty or full Community folder several times and the loading lapses are random maybe depending on other things you did before in your PC, loaded programs still there etc. In fact some loading times were shorter with a full Community folder so it doesnt make sense

From computer logic side it also doesnt make sense. The Community folder is there so the sim will look at it AFTER you have chosen to load a scenario. With aircraft yes, it looks and loads in the Hangar whatever aircraft you have in Community but its not a killer, it just reads your thumbnail planes, it doesnt "load" them. With sceneries it will only look at Community once you choose that area to fly. Same as utilities. The logic is it will load as needed.

David I also found the LInker complicated, nuisance to use, its easier just to put files in another dir and move them whenever wish to use it
    I maybe wrong, someone need to do clinical tests and debugging steps to time the effects of community in loading
    I HAVE tested it, and you are wrong. When I load a lot of detailed add-on scenery into Community, the load time is considerably increased. As an extreme test, I loaded all of my addons into Community, and MSFS was still loading after 10 minutes! On the other hand, if I start MSFS with an empty Community folder, the load time is generally less than a minute. QED, as my high school math teacher used to say. (I think that stands for quod erat demonstrandum, i.e., that which was to be proved)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast