Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did you fly today ?

Quote Originally Posted by Aptosflier View Post
    Flew the Cessna 172 "Global" IFR from Watsonville to RWY 30L San Jose (again; I'm in a rut) and returned to Watsonville VFR. This time--unlike yesterday and the day before from Monterey--the Garmin 1000 gave me a choice between two routes--one that would take me a long way around, to the IFR approach used by air traffic arriving from the east, and a more direct route up the Santa Clara Valley. I think maybe the multiple waypoint options on offer in the Garmin this time had something to do with the low-level IFR approach option I selected in the drop-down menu on the World map today. (I should've written it down.) Like yesterday, the autopilot veered off course, forcing me to disengage it, manually fly the Cessna back to the the line on the map marking the final approach course, and re-engage the AP to continue the ILS landing. I'm not sure why this is happening. Maybe the AP's NAV setting is un-setting when I fiddle with another setting like altitude? I'll have to watch that button on my Logitech multi-panel more closely.
    Are you setting your autopilot to fly the ILS route from the very start to the runway? Maybe that's what is throwing you off (just as it did me for a while). As someone else mentioned, the route from A to Z is not designed per se for a small plane but for an airliner. If you follow it you might be yanked backwards from your location to some waypoint that seemingly makes no sense for you.

It makes more sense for me, per a real pilot's advice here, to choose my preferred location once lined up with the runway, and only then intercept the localizer to take advantage of ILS.
    Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Can you save your last location from day to day? Or do you have to file a new flight plan every day for the next leg of your trip?
    Little Navmap makes it pretty easy. I kind of do a hybrid of your two options. My trip is recorded by LN. Whenever I fly I first go to LN and tell it to transmit my plan to MSFS.
    Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

First time since the World Update, took a jim-dandy flight in my little Aerolite 103 along the river Thames. Took off from a small aerodrome south of the city, as I slowly neared the river, the POI markers began sprouting up like pine tees in a forest - lol

I will doubtless be making some serious sight-seeing flight in the future. Very impressive IMHO.
    "Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
    HP Pavilion Desktop [email protected], 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 200 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke and throttle quadrant, TFRP rudder pedals, Grass Monkey Odyssey IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick

Flew the Cessna 172 "Global" IFR from Watsonville to RWY 30L San Jose (again; I'm in a rut) and returned to Watsonville VFR. This time--unlike yesterday and the day before from Monterey--the Garmin 1000 gave me a choice between two routes--one that would take me a long way around, to the IFR approach used by air traffic arriving from the east, and a more direct route up the Santa Clara Valley. I think maybe the multiple waypoint options on offer in the Garmin this time had something to do with the low-level IFR approach option I selected in the drop-down menu on the World map today. (I should've written it down.) Like yesterday, the autopilot veered off course, forcing me to disengage it, manually fly the Cessna back to the the line on the map marking the final approach course, and re-engage the AP to continue the ILS landing. I'm not sure why this is happening. Maybe the AP's NAV setting is un-setting when I fiddle with another setting like altitude? I'll have to watch that button on my Logitech multi-panel more closely. I made a respectable landing at KSJC. I can't say the same for my landing on RWY 20 back at Watsonville. As usual for me, I came in too high. I didn't want to go around, so I forced the issue, eating up nearly all the runway in the process. I taxied back to the ramp area like a drunken sailor, killed the engine, and toggled off the master switches. Then I tried to go back to the main screen to shut down the sim and MSFS CTD'd. At least it didn't happen in mid-flight. But when I checked my log book after restarting my PC and relaunching MSFS, I discovered I didn't get any credit for the flight time I put in flying back to Watsonville. I guess because it wasn't in my original flight plan. Anyway, I was ticked.
    I think what is happening to you with the AP might be a bug I've noticed. If you enter a "Procedure" for an airport after you've passed your last waypoint in the flight plan the AP will take you back to that last waypoint before continuing with the "Procedure".

Try that flight again either IFR with waypoints or put in E16 (South County airport) as an interim waypoint. That way you have time after takeoff and before E16 to select the ILS30L Approach. Make sure you select the KLIDE transition so it doesn't take 40 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by neilends View Post
    Little Navmap makes it pretty easy. I kind of do a hybrid of your two options. My trip is recorded by LN. Whenever I fly I first go to LN and tell it to transmit my plan to MSFS.
    First I've heard of Little Navmap. I will give it a try. Every day, I learn something new here. Thanks.
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Quote Originally Posted by Cavulife View Post
    I think what is happening to you with the AP might be a bug I've noticed. If you enter a "Procedure" for an airport after you've passed your last waypoint in the flight plan the AP will take you back to that last waypoint before continuing with the "Procedure".

Try that flight again either IFR with waypoints or put in E16 (South County airport) as an interim waypoint. That way you have time after takeoff and before E16 to select the ILS30L Approach. Make sure you select the KLIDE transition so it doesn't take 40 minutes.
    I enter the approach procedure before I take off. Yesterday, I was able to select KLIDE (instead of the out-of-the-way "BORING"; not its exact name) for my first waypoint, and a straight-in approach, and the AP was supposed to take me there. Nevertheless, it wandered to the east of the "magenta line," forcing me to disengage the AP and manually fly back to it before re-engaging the AP. Next it wandered off course to the left of the final approach line--after KLIDE--so I turned off the AP, banked right back to the approach course, re-engaged the AP, and after that things worked fine. I need to pay more attention to my Logitech flight multi-panel. I suspect the NAV function somehow disengages (the button goes dark); don't know in what context, however.
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Quote Originally Posted by neilends View Post
    Are you setting your autopilot to fly the ILS route from the very start to the runway? ...It makes more sense for me, per a real pilot's advice here, to choose my preferred location once lined up with the runway, and only then intercept the localizer to take advantage of ILS.
    I don't engage the autopilot until I'm in the air and have intersected the flight-plan route. Yes, it makes sense to just manually fly to the first waypoint on the localizer, at the altitude noted for that waypoint in the approach chart.

I don't engage the autopilot until I'm in the air and have intersected the flight-plan route. Yes, it makes sense to just manually fly to the first waypoint on the localizer, at the altitude noted for that waypoint in the approach chart.
    I have a feeling that, as someone just noted, MSFS's version of autopilot and ILS is still very buggy. If I do ever end up taking real-life flight lessons one day I am probably going to be so confused by the difference between reality and MSFS-land. (I am enrolled in ground school at the moment; still plugging away).

Default Where did I fly today?

Well, still flying ATM (been meanning to do this flight since last Saturday). B777 from Canberra (YSCB) to Darwin (YPDN) IFR. Southen area to the top end of Australia. Fairly easy once I relearned all the autopilot controls too :-)

One things that irks me though is I can't find a ready map showing my overall progress? Iknow I can use the VFR map to watch, however it only zooms out so far?

Quote Originally Posted by camcint View Post
    Well, still flying ATM (been meanning to do this flight since last Saturday). B777 from Canberra (YSCB) to Darwin (YPDN) IFR. Southen area to the top end of Australia. Fairly easy once I relearned all the autopilot controls too :-)

One things that irks me though is I can't find a ready map showing my overall progress? Iknow I can use the VFR map to watch, however it only zooms out so far?
    Little Navmap is very convenient for this function. You will have to tab to its separate window when you want that larger view, but as far as I know it's the best way to accomplish this for now. And the tabbing doesn't bother me that much.

Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast