Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did you fly today ?

Today I flew from Alice Springs YBAS to YHBY , southwest in search of the Henbury meteorites Conservation Reserve. I found the craters but they were a little underwhelming. An amazing landscape in the center of Oz though.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Western Kansas
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leoti.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	270.8 KB 
ID:	226026  
    I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I know it's cheating, but you could always "add" some fuel in-flight - there's an option in the toolbar.

I, of course, would never dream of it, always making sure I've got enough fuel before I take off .......................!

Quote Originally Posted by terrylawdinn View Post
    I know it's cheating, but you could always "add" some fuel in-flight - there's an option in the toolbar.

I, of course, would never dream of it, always making sure I've got enough fuel before I take off .......................!
    I've created a shortcut to refuel by just hitting Control-R, so I can instantly refuel in mid-air. But I opted to exercise my sim brain muscles to simulate an emergency instead.
    Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Default LFPO to LFPB

Needed a change of scenery, so took the Cessna 152 on a slow VFR whirl around Paris, taking off from Orly, circling around the Eifel Tower and then landing at Le Bourget, because though I meant to head back to Orly, I spied a nice straight-in approach to Le Bourget and aimed for it instead. Nice, smooth landing, after which I got totally lost amid all the taxiways and finally followed the GPS drop-down map to general aviation parking.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gay Pareeee!.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	456.1 KB 
ID:	226039
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Default KTEX to KGUC

Flew from Telluride to Gunnison, Colo.; flight time in the Beech Bonanza, about 37 minutes. I skied at Telluride a lifetime ago in 1992, but my memories of the ski area, the town below--and views of the airport from the ski slopes above are still fresh. Sitting on a mesa in a box canyon with ominously rising mountain peaks on both sides, KTEX is a notoriously difficult place to land. Not ready for that challenge just yet, I chose to start my trip there, which was challenging enough.

I set up a low-level IFR flight plan, including an ILS approach to RWY 6 at Gunnison, where I've landed before in MSFS, and commercially in RL (i.e., real life). But taking off from Telluride, I could not immediately engage the autopilot because some pesky mountain peaks blocked the way. Instead, I flew manually on a heading away from, and north of the GPS magenta line, climbing until it looked safe to turn back toward it. I engaged the AP when I reached the GPS track and let the Bonanza do its thing, intervening only to adjust the throttle and altitude per the AI ATC's instructions. I disengaged the AP at maybe 300 ft. AGL and reducing flaps a notch to get the nose down so's I could see the runway, I executed a pretty smooth touchdown at Gunnison, marred only by a sloppy turn off the runway (messed up some dead grass).

Very few other simmers in the skies back there, unlike the swarm of them here in the greater SF Bay Area. I had the drop-down GPS map displayed during the flight. I saw other sim planes displayed there, and I actually caught sight of one above me at about 10 o'clock.

All in all a satisfying experience, made even more so by the absence of the dreaded CTD.
    HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Default KSMO to KAVX

Reprising a couple of unsuccessful attempts to land at Santa Catalina Island yesterday (26 miles across the sea...), I took off from Santa Monica in a Beechcraft Bonanza this morning and managed to set the plane down reasonably well at Catalina, twice, landing first on RWY 22, then taking off and flying a pattern to land from the opposite direction, on RWY 4. Of the two approaches, I prefer the second. RWY 22 is the direct approach coming from L.A., but there's an intervening ridge that can force you to come in too high. That's what happened to me yesterday, when I landed too long and too fast and sailed off the end of the runway, down into a gully, and crashed into some trees, twice. Landing on RWY 4 is easier because the aforesaid gully is below you and you can come in lower without fear of running into something. Learning from my experiences yesterday, today I stopped worrying about the ridge before the beginning of RWY 22 and landed in spite of it, then tried the opposite approach just for fun. I didn't get credit in my flight log for either, because the sim CTD'd while I was fiddling with the Garmin to set up a return flight plan for Santa Monica.

8. Default

KRSW to KCLE in the Working Title CJ4 mod! Wow, what an elegant plane that is! I hit a few bumps en route, though, forgetting to hit the NAV button on my PFD to set it to the FMS. I finally reached a comfort level with SimBrief and put that to use for this flight. One of the neat things about the Working Title mod was just using your pilot ID from SimBrief to automatically load up your flight plan in the FMS, enabling you to skip the world map pretty much entirely (obviously still had to select a departure airport and parking ramp, though). After watching a few CJ4 tutorials and reading the Working Title manual pretty much from cover to cover, I gained a great working knowledge and understanding of the CJ4 and its systems, particularly the FMS system (emulating the Collins Pro Line 21 damn near button for button). The detent in the throttle for take-off, climb, and cruise are really nice to have and makes it easy for one to know exactly where to put that throttle. Learned a bit about the engines on this plane from Filbert Flies YouTube in that it uses FADEC and automatically knows and does a lot of the work for you. Pretty much all you need to do is pay attention to the airspeed and throttle.

After figuring out the navigational challenges, it was smooth flying from there. Clouds weren't quite as high in image quality as I expected them to be, but then I mostly kept my eyes glued to the instruments with the occasional look outside.

The STAR and approach were implemented very nicely and the VNAV works, I think? I think I goofed it up a bit because I thought the VNAV works but you still need to select either VS or FLC to make it work. I'll have to back to that and study that up some.

The ILS was a snap. This was really my first IFR approach using the approach mode in autopilot and it worked like a charm. Landing was, well, bit of a challenge! It floated on me some and it wasn't the most butterific landing one could ask for, but I didn't crash...and you know the old saying about landings. This was my first landing in a CJ4, after all!

Only other hiccup was underestimating the amount of fuel needed.

Whatta plane!
    Ryzen 5 5600x / NVIDIA 3060 Ti Founder's Edition / ASRock B450M Steel Legend Motherboard / 2TB Inland Premium TLC NVMe SSD / 32GB DDR4-3200 RAM / Monitor: Monoprice Zero-G 35" UWQHD (3440x1440 Ultrawide)

Quote Originally Posted by CLE_GrummanTiger View Post
    KRSW to KCLE in the Working Title CJ4 mod! Wow, what an elegant plane that is!
    I searched for it out of curiosity, but I didn't see anything re. a plane, per se. Is this a performance modification of some sort for the Cessna Citation that's included with MSFS 2020? Or is it a third-party aircraft add-on?

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Aptosflier View Post
    I searched for it out of curiosity, but I didn't see anything re. a plane, per se. Is this a performance modification of some sort for the Cessna Citation that's included with MSFS 2020? Or is it a third-party aircraft add-on?
    Yes, it’s a performance mod of the existing CJ4 in all versions of MSFS. HIGHLY recommended! Along with their Garmin mods.

http://packages.workingtitle.aero/

Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast