Newb learning the ropes, and a lot of freezing.

Hello everyone, new to flight sims but have had my eye on this game for years. I finally pulled the trigger and bought a high end system along with the deluxe or premium or whatever the version is of the game. The game is amazing and in the beginning I didn't experience many issues. But lately the game freezes if I mess with graphics settings, or too much is "going on" while flying (say weather, descending, and messing with the VFR map or controls. I have done a lot of the software modifications you can find on searches to include changing performance priorities, etc, but have now gone back to how the system came stock and will start over. FPS seems like a big topic; I run anywhere from 45-65 depending on terrain, day or night.

Its hard for me to be real mad at the experience because the game is beautiful, but I'm almost unable to complete a flight over an hour and if I start messing with graphics, it just freezes; usually in the form of the screen freezing and a buzzing noise coming through the headset.

Anyway, part introduction, part bitching I guess, but this is a great community and i get lost in this game; overall its amazing. So, hello and let me know if there is anything this new guy is missing.

System specs:

i9-10900kf 3.7 Turbo 5.2

Asetek 550LC Liquid cooling CPU

2 TB SSD 2400/1950

32GB T Force Delta ram

TUF RTX3080

This guy explains it better than most.

But don't sweat the FPS, planes and scenery move slowly in a flight simulator, so FPS isn't such a big issue.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

This guy explains it better than most.

But don't sweat the FPS, planes and scenery move slowly in a flight simulator, so FPS isn't such a big issue.

Do you monitor you temps?

Your FPS is as excellent. This isn't a game it's more like a movie. Movies in theater run at 24 FPS and people don't walk out. YouTube is 30 FPS. You are where you should be with the card you have.

I agree. One of the best videos on the net. On the one hand you have a hefty rig that shouldn't be freezing but many people have pointed out that even the fastest machine can't run this thing with every setting on high. So consider fine tuning the program. Turn a bunch of stuff down or off and see what happens then begin adding things back one at a time prioritizing what is you like.

Your equipment suggests that it's new. Do you monitor your Core and GPU temps. I believe 100c is the upper limit. It should stay well under that if the cooler is running efficiently or is adequate? Generally an overheated computer just shuts down and goes blue screen though.

I don't believe the you can't overclock the KA series of CPUs. That turbo is an automatic thing. I could be wrong so I'll ask. Are you overclocking to hold it at 5.2. Again back to a heat issue.

Have you checked your Internet speed. I believe the minimum is 20 mbps. The Sim draws data constantly from the net. If you are on a slower system it could drop down say in the evening when lots of people are using computers and or watching TV. My connection is though the TV cable and not very fast and once in a while it will hang up on loading a YouTube. Just a thought.

Check your Internet speed. I believe there is a way to make it run without the Internet in a reduced fashion. If so try that and see what happens.

Do you play any other game or use the computer for long periods other than the Sim and if so does it do the same thing? To rule out whether it's the Sim or the computer.

I assume you only hear the noise when the Sim acts up. A new computer can certainly have bad sound that comes from internal interference. My old computer, this one, makes a low hiss you can here in headphones between tracks. Might be good to turn off any sound sources and run the gain up on high with headphones to check for background noise. If it's a new computer you would want to catch that sooner rather than later when it get's worse and you have no warranty.

I suspect that if you follow JayZ's video and get the settings configured the problem will go away. Even though you have very close to the cutting edge 3090 and the latest CPU we are coming to realize that the hardware hasn't been developed that will run it with everything turned up to high. We're probably talking at least 4090 and and i11 series computer.

Finally since the computer seems new, did you update the bios and drivers when you fired it up. If you don't know how to do a bios update YouTube search for JayZTwoCent's video on it. He did a new one a few days ago. While your doing that check to see if you're RAM is set to the right speed.

Sorry to waste your time if you already know all this. Otherwise give us a holler if we can help.

Liquid cooled, Intel i7-10700K, NVIDIA 3070, G.Skill Ram 32 GB, 2TB M.2 NVME. Z490 MB Loads of Christmas lights. :pilot:

Worth noting that the suggested youtube vid (very good by the way) is running at 1920x1080 at 30FPS

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Thank you all for the replies. I have an ASUS motherboard, and even though the computer is only a few months old, it looks like i could update the bios but holy crap none of their software (EZupdate) does the update. Let me know if you guys have anymore info on that.

The freezing has been better now that i put everything back to stock with no "high performance" additions through the Geforce software. But i did get a blue screen today flying around Mt. Everest in weather. Still seems like the game is buggy but its an amazing game and that should be said as much as possible.

Responding to the big post above: I have a 1GB fiber line so the internet seems to be ok. But, after i got the blue screen today i took the side cover off the computer and ran about the same route with no issues. The GPU does get hot and so does the system when im playing. I would think the cooler it has is good enough. Either way, when im running long flights i may just take the side off.

So i sat here all last night trying to mess with the bios. This seems to be no easy task with ASUS. I downloaded every app they said to update and there was always an issue. Technically it looks like im 3 updates behind on bios, but i did see some posts saying dont touch your bios at all unless you are having serious issues, which at this point i am not.

What do you guys think?

I would see what your temps are, your GPU and CPU

I use Core Temp to monitor the CPU temp. I also use MSI afterburner to help monitor the GPU temp as well

While in flight I would also do Windows key "G" and see how things are looking. How much memory is being used by the GPU, computer overall

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I would see what your temps are, your GPU and CPU

I use Core Temp to monitor the CPU temp. I also use MSI afterburner to help monitor the GPU temp as well

While in flight I would also do Windows key "G" and see how things are looking. How much memory is being used by the GPU, computer overall

Thanks for the reply. I flew today and checked temps and other performance stuff. The CPU seems to always be around 20-25% and the GPU at about 8% with a temp between 64-73. Knock on wood, i havent had many issues since putting things back to stock but i did have a blue screen CTD happen yesterday when a lot started going on.

The company that built the computer said it was my GPU possibly and that they would replace it, but honestly i dont know if it is with how buggy this game can be.

Yes, your GPU ought to be way up there at 70% or more.

It is different and it does not work like FSX, but it really isn't as "buggy" as claimed. Many "problems" are just folks that don't understand how it works. Watch some videos and you may come to like it more.

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Yes, your GPU ought to be way up there at 70% or more.

It is different and it does not work like FSX, but it really isn't as "buggy" as claimed. Many "problems" are just folks that don't understand how it works. Watch some videos and you may come to like it more.

Is that an indication that there is something wrong with it or is there a fix?

If your GPU is getting hot and you can actually see a plane flying, then your GPU usage is for sure above 70%. Your GPU usage reporting software is giving you a false reading.
i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

If your GPU is getting hot and you can actually see a plane flying, then your GPU usage is for sure above 70%. Your GPU usage reporting software is giving you a false reading.

Just learned this by downloading the MSI software. Windows was telling me low %'s but im between 88-99 on the software. It seems to be running good now. If i got into the Geforce software and put power management as high performace, the GPU runs a lower %. If i put it to normal it runs higher and better. My temp was between 60-64 in the heaviest flights with the side cover off; about 73 with it on.

I just did one of the longest flights i have ever done with no issues, skips, or anything. It ran very well. The only thing ive done now is put the texture filtering to high (in geforce software), the virtual ram "upgrade", and put my CPU to high priority. I was actually surprised because im flying on ultra and its smooth as silk all of a sudden.

Here are two videos that might be helpful. You can skip the Window's Install but he goes through the driver and bios process. You can Search YouTube for other videos. Including a more detailed explanation of how to flash bios.

First Five Things to Do

How to set up a new computer

If your GPU is only running at 8% you have a serious issue. The GPU should be running at or close to 100%. All of the builder videos begin just like flying with a walk around to check the physical plant. In these videos Paul doesn't go into details but you begin by checking every plug in connection. You what to check that the graphics card and the ram are fully seated. In video after video they will tell you that the first thing you should do is update your bios actually even before you install Windows. The manufactures are running hundreds of motherboards though bios flash from the same update which can be a year or more old. Next would be to get the most current Windows. Since it's installed you can tell it to update. Then comes the drivers. Paul goes through that process.

A bios update video.

Consider downloading CPU-Z

Liquid cooled, Intel i7-10700K, NVIDIA 3070, G.Skill Ram 32 GB, 2TB M.2 NVME. Z490 MB Loads of Christmas lights. :pilot:

I dug out the manual for my motherboard. They do recommend that if your computer is stable you shouldn't update the bios which is sort of contradictory. If there was no need to update the bios there would be no need for them to make updates. One of the last ones was to "Optimize Game Performance."

The key word here is stable. Your machine isn't running stable. If you didn't get a motherboard manual you can download one and follow the instructions from it. The most dangerous element seems to be to keep the computer running and don't tamper with anything while it's doing the update. If you lose power it get's during that period or accidentally shut it down you are up the creek.

It's not contradictory at all. Not everyone will be affected by all bugs, so the risk of doing the update isn't necessarily worth it. Unlike a failed Windows update, a failed BIOS/UEFI update can permanently brick the motherboard. Therefore, for most people it's probably better to just leave it alone unless you know you need the update.

I agree with loki! If your computer came from a really good builder, it should have a reasonably up to date bios. My builder does a batch of burn in and testing ( the test results are included in the box. ) to make sure the configuration is stable and working to specs as shipped. The good builders go to great lengths to make sure the product arrives undamaged, but most do suggest you check to make sure connections and seatings didn't come loose in shipment
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU