I am a retired Systems Integration Manager from Ford Motor Company, and a pretty strong Windows 10 user. I guess you could call me a superuser. And I have a private pilot's license (Single Engine Land).

With that said, I had a custom computer specifically built to the nines about 2 weeks ago for MSFS 2020 which appears to be running perfectly, except when I tried to purchase and install MSFS 2020.

The first installation of MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe on Nov 9th went well, except I could not make content purchases from MSFS 2020 Marketplace. So after talking to MSFS 2020 support (ZenDesk), then Xbox support, and finally a Level 2 tech on the Windows Tech Team, he told me my Microsoft Store app was corrupted, and reinstalled Windows 10 for me, updated it, and crawled through my computer using Quick Assist where he had access to my desktop remotely to make sure all settings were correct for MSFS 2020.

And things got worse. Now Microsoft Store tells me that the Premium Deluxe version of MSFS 2020 can't be installed on my computer, and only the Standard Version can be installed. So I tried that. Twice (uninstalling, and then reinstalling MSFS 2020 with the same results both times).

My account inside MSFS 2020 tells me that I'm on the current version 1.10.11.0 but I have only 12 planes available to fly. And the plane set is a partial set of all three MSFS 2020 versions (Standard, Deluxe, and Premium Deluxe). For instance, I have the 787 Dreamliner, but not the Airbus 320, etc. And I cannot download the rest of the content from Content Manager, as it tells me I need a more recent version of the game to do so, even though my account shows I have the most recent version installed.

It is now a spaghetti installation of parts of all three versions of MSFS 2020.

And from what I can tell, it is because of their VERY aggressive Digital Content Management system in Microsoft Store. Microsoft is so afraid of the software being pirated, they are not giving it to their paying customers either!

I am now waiting for a support call from Xbox support that will never come. I've been waiting for 4 days now, relaunching the request for a callback each morning.

But apparently nobody is home at Xbox.

I am getting ready to request a full refund, and plan on coming back in 2 or 3 years to try again, as right now the launch of MSFS 2020 is a disaster. If I had launched a product like this at Ford, they would have fired me.

Cheers! :pilot:

Edited by bucksnort

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, sorry to hear you’re having problems. When you started the install from the MS Store, how did you go about it? Forgive me if you did it this way but..

You should install the standard flight simulator first. Once that’s done, you install the Digital Ownership. There’s no need to install the deluxe or premium deluxe addons. Flight sim will do that automatically.

Launch flight sim and it’ll install the rest of it (after asking where to install)

When it’s eventually installed.. go into the content manager and install the rest.

Everything (inc all the premium deluxe planes) “should” be installed.

I have installed it many times previously by doing this and I’ve never had any problems.

If I were you though, I’d uninstall the current installation, making sure there no trace left & then follow the steps above.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Thanks, Steve!

I haven't tried the install in that order. I've been launching the Premium Deluxe install from Microsoft Store as the first step, as there is an install button to do that. So I'll do a full uninstall and try your suggestion, which is much appreciated. I'll let you know how it went tomorrow, as it's a long download process (as you know).

Cheers!

Bill

No problem, hope you sort it.

They certainly don’t make it clear do they? I also tried installing the premium deluxe when I first bought it and it wouldn’t do anything. There are many comments online from others doing the same.

Anyway, good luck and I look forward to hearing that it’s working :)

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

I have been deterred from buying and installing FSMS by all the complaints. It seemed to me to be a good idea to wait for updates/corrections to all be completed before venturing into what currently appears to be a potential lion's den. But to find that even the installation is flawed and unexplained? Well, that to me is astounding.

Hi Steve,

That did it! MSFS 2020 is now mostly working for me. Things are still a bit wonky, as I'm still missing a few planes and customized airports, but overall, I'm back up and running. Thank you for that! :)

After installing the Standard version, and then the Digital Ownership from Microsoft Store, I launched MSFS 2020, and had only two aircraft (the 152 and the 930). And Content Manager wouldn't give me anything else, stating that I needed newer versions (0.1.59, 0.1.62, 0.1.27, etc) for the various content, even though my MSFS 2020 account said I'm on 1.10.11.0

So I then downloaded and installed the Deluxe, and then the Premium versions in Marketplace. After that, I went to Content Manager, tagged all content, and ran the update regardless of the notices that I was not running the current version. And most of the content from all three versions (Standard, Deluxe, and Premium) downloaded and installed.

When it was finished downloading, Content Manager told me I had none of the content, needing newer versions for everything. But when I checked in game, it was mostly there.

Close enough for rock'n roll!

They've got some issues to work out, buy I'm back flying in game, and the planes I'm missing right now aren't anything I can't live without for the time being (Airbus320, SR22, and the DV20). I'm also missing a handful of custom airports, but again, nothing I can't live without.

Thanks for you help!

Bill

@

bucksnort

In my 65 years, YES 65 years, in the IT Industry I have never ever seen this kind of product !!!

ONLY Masochist are in the mental state to use this CRAP !!!

This company should be sued for a fraudulent product ...

OMG, unbelievable !!

Sincerely

G. Kirschstein

Then why do many of us use the program without problems, and enjoy it immensely? You can visit the entire world at a level of detail unimagined a short time ago! The aircraft are beautifully rendered. What don't you like? If you want to throw air conditioner switches in airliners it may not yet be your product, but it does create a flight experience unlike anything outside an actual aircraft in flight.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Hi Bill, that’s great news! Glad it’s working :) (albeit not 100%)

Regards

Steve

@

bucksnort

In my 65 years, YES 65 years, in the IT Industry I have never ever seen this kind of product !!!

OMG, unbelievable !!

Sincerely

G. Kirschstein

Since 1955?

It is amazing how different people's experience has been. I purchased the Deluxe Premium version from Steam, and have had absolutely no problems other than the known bugs.

Ditto here. FWIW, Deluxe Premium purchased at MS store, downloaded and has been working from the start. (Yes with the known bugs).

I just go VFR for now and will wait it out. I hope everyone else with issues can get things going.

Mike

Dell XPS 8930 Core I9-9900 3.10 GHz, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM @2666 Mhz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060, 1 + 2 TB SSD’s and 1 + 2 TB spinner sata’s, Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X, FS9, FSX, MSFS

Thinking back to FS9 I remember that it needed Ultimate Terrain to become a real simulator and not just a toy. Then along came FSX and I discovered that the Fraser River disappeared 40 miles east of Vancouver and that FSX too needed Ultimate Terrain, so I dumped it and went back to FS9! Now we have MSFS and what they have attempted is a much better version of Ultimate Terrain that includes a lot of errors and doesn't yet work properly. The airfield scenery buildings bear no relation to reality, as in FS9 and FSX. Ah well, back to my FS9 northwest Ontario fields.

Reminds me of my grandma years ago, who hated her new electric stove and insisted the food cooked on her old coal stove tasted much better. Have fun with FS9 and other technologies from 20 years ago I assume you also are still using your Commodore 2000 computer (or maybe a Radio Shack Tandy). Great machines, those -- for their time.

Ditto here. FWIW, Deluxe Premium purchased at MS store, downloaded and has been working from the start. (Yes with the known bugs).

I just go VFR for now and will wait it out. I hope everyone else with issues can get things going.

Mike

I too have the Deluxe Premium purchased at MS store, and I too have had no issues, except the known bugs.

In my case, I fly the A320NX (FBW) primarily, and only fly GA planes if I want to check out some scenery/location.

It is really strange that some of us have next to no issues, while so many out there are experiencing these problems.

Hopefully it will all be sorted soon.

i7-9700KF; RTX 2070 Super; Z390 Phantom Gaming 4S, 32gb G Skill 3600;

2TB 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVme; 2TB 860 EVO SSD; 1TB 860 EVO SSD; Li 205 ATX Case; Windows 10 Pro x64

@

bucksnort

OMG, unbelievable !!

Sincerely

G. Kirschstein

I be one of dose Masochists in a mental state. Havin' a ball flyin dis CRAP here in de Asylum!

StubbornSwiss I like that!

I also purchased the Premium. I have only two problems. The TBM flies only 600 miles and I can't fly over FL320, the panel freezes nothing works but I can still land the aircraft. Seems to me that the Pitot is not programmed correctly. I've reported it three times now.

The CJ4 is un-flyable for me. Its overspeed all the time and the panel is the poorest of all the included aircraft. I spend so much time controlling airspeed I don't have time to fly the aircraft. (55in HD monitor). I've had the opportunity to fly right seat in a CJ4 several times. It doesn't have an autothrottle or an overspeed problem.

I get frustrated with MSFS at times but then I recall how bad FSX was at first.

tailgunnerjack

I get frustrated with MSFS at times but then I recall how bad FSX was at first.

People keep saying this. How??? FSX worked! Yes, performance was an issue, still is but everything else worked. EVERYTHING is broken in MSFS. Literally EVERYTHING does not work properly. Performance is also an issue in MSFS and when you "may" eventually be able to add decent add-ons, it'll be unusable.

It's debatable if this opportunity will ever come to test the theory because you won't see PMDG attempt to develop for something like MSFS in it's current state and I really doubt MSFS will ever be close to reasonably bug free. If I was to bet money, I would take the good odds you would get right now and place money that MSFS will never see a PMDG aircraft.

Edit: I should say on the PC MSFS version btw. You may see a PMDG aircraft on the Xbox MSFS. You heard the suggestion here first! lol

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

"EVERYTHING is broken in MSFS. Literally EVERYTHING does not work properly."

Mark, Then how do you explain those of us that are able to fly where we want, to navigate to the appropriate destination, to cruise at correct speeds, to enjoy fabulous scenery, to enjoy polished aircraft visuals, and to capture scenic details that reveal even geology and architecture and cultural practice, which were impossible in any other product? I will give you that the airliners are not "study level" and ATC is pretty much a joke, but everything else seems pretty workable

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

People keep saying this. How??? FSX worked! Yes, performance was an issue, still is but everything else worked. EVERYTHING is broken in MSFS. Literally EVERYTHING does not work properly. Performance is also an issue in MSFS and when you "may" eventually be able to add decent add-ons, it'll be unusable.

It's debatable if this opportunity will ever come to test the theory because you won't see PMDG attempt to develop for something like MSFS in it's current state and I really doubt MSFS will ever be close to reasonably bug free. If I was to bet money, I would take the good odds you would get right now and place money that MSFS will never see a PMDG aircraft.

Edit: I should say on the PC MSFS version btw. You may see a PMDG aircraft on the Xbox MSFS. You heard the suggestion here first! lol

Absolutely false. Everything is NOT broken in MSFS, far from it, and the statement is ridiculous (though not surprising in this case) and will be recognized as such by those -- and there are many of us -- who are having a blast flying this incredible, beautiful sim. As far as addons are concerned, I have installed over 200 already (scenery and aircraft) and they work beautifully. Finally, I was an FSX fan for its entire history and will say categorically that it was attacked ferociously at first, mainly by simmers who lacked sufficient computing power to run it at the time.