VFR Today, S27 Kalispell City to KHLN Helena Regl

Not sure why or how I came up with this flight, it was sort of on a whim without much planning but it ended up being a great flight! Orbx NRM region, Carenado F406 Caravan II. We've got snow a little earlier than normal this year so NRM's seasonal textures are just about perfect.

Start and warm up at S27

S27_KHLN_01.jpg

Taxi was short, less than 100 yds to Rwy 13

S27_KHLN_02.jpg

Taxiing into position, ugghh, weather's not looking great in the general direction we're going

S27_KHLN_03.jpg

Did a left climbing turn back over the airport before leaving, looks like we'll need to amend our proposed cruise altitude of 9500' in favor of 7500'. That'll cause a problem with clearing the mountains between us and Helena but I think we can handle it.

S27_KHLN_04.jpg

We fly almost due South over Flathead Lake towards St Ignatius. That wasn't exactly the planned route but we're lacking the altitude to go straight across with the current cloud ceiling.

S27_KHLN_05.jpg

The plan is to find a low spot at the end of that mountain range on the left to cross over into the Seely Lake area. From there we should be able to pick our way through the valleys into Helena. If not our alternate is Missoula through a valley or we can return to Kalispell as a last resort.

S27_KHLN_06.jpg

Looks like we can fly straight towards that low canyon and make it across with room to spare.

S27_KHLN_07.jpg

(more in reply)

Seeley Lake and the Seeley Lake airport (23S)

S27_KHLN_08.jpg

Can't decide if I should turn South towards Drummond and fly the valleys or make a straight shot to Helena. Clouds appear to be lifting the further East we go but clearing the mountains will be tight at 7500'. I think we'll risk it, we're fueled for Helena and back to Missoula if we need to turn back.

S27_KHLN_09.jpg

As it turned out the clouds dissipated and we were able to climb to 9500', clearing the mountains with ease. Turning downwind for Rwy 27 at KHLN.

S27_KHLN_10.jpg

On final.

S27_KHLN_11.jpg

Best landing I've made in 3 months, lol.

S27_KHLN_12.jpg

And a couple shots on the ramp with the doors open.

S27_KHLN_13.jpg

S27_KHLN_14.jpg

Hope you enjoyed my Sunday flight as much as I did! Thanks for looking!

Jim

Great looking set of winter shots!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

Sweet! :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]