Best ways / tips for a trouble and stress free installation?

Hi Everyone

More time on my hands now plus the launch of the incredible looking new MSFS means that after 15 years or so I'm able to, and have decided to, return to a passion that I've had all my life and now finally have more time to indulge, flight sims.

My new PC arrives tomorrow (Intel I7 - 10700k 5.1 GHZ, RTX 2080 Super, 32GB DDR RAM) and as I live in a rural area unfortunately I only have 20MBS 4G internet connection (and I'm no windows expert, current/last one was Windows XP !).

I'm planning to buy and install MSFS tomorrow (from MS store) once I've set the new computer up and so - having read a lot of horror stories on forums - was wondering whether anyone has any good advice or tips on the best way to try and ensure a trouble / stress free installation, or any material I can referencer to help/guide me and whether there's any rookie mistakes I should avoid ?

Thanks in advance for any help ! :-)

Paul

My advice is to keep your Windows 10 complete and original (don't go deleting any supposed "bloatware" apps), update it using Settings/Update & Security AND Microsoft Store (click the 3 dots in the top right corner and select Downloads and updates) until it won't update any more. THEN install MSFS to it's default location, go to Content Manager before you do anything else and download any further updates in the list there.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

In addition to Tim's suggestions, a few more may help. First start with a clean cache. Before you install, run a cleaner like CCleaner to start with a clean cache. Second, I assume from your specs, that you have a fast SSD or M.2. If not, that needs to be a priority and the program needs to run off that drive instead of a HD. Third, at this stage, keep it simple. Avoid temptations to add every finagle and livery and addon until the updates are stabilized. Avoid complex controller setups that could create conflicts. Use the modern rather than the legacy flight model. Learn the commands and operational differences, as the program works very differently than FSX and the commands are different, and the AutoPilot works very differently in the new sim. There are videos that explain the modes and functions in the AP which were not part of the FSX version.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

My advice is to keep your Windows 10 complete and original (don't go deleting any supposed "bloatware" apps), update it using Settings/Update & Security AND Microsoft Store (click the 3 dots in the top right corner and select Downloads and updates) until it won't update any more. THEN install MSFS to it's default location, go to Content Manager before you do anything else and download any further updates in the list there.

Hi Tim, I’m curious as to why you recommend installing it in the default location. Even during the days of FSX I always thought it was good practice to install FS on a drive, other than the drive on which Windows is installed. I’ve installed MSFS several times now, the most recent being today! (don’t ask :) ) & I’ve been installing it to D:/MSFS one plus side is that it is extremely easy to find the community folder etc.

However, I have had my share of problems.. ie CTDs (hence today’s installation) and I’ve been trying to figure out what is causing them. My latest idea is that it’s my Saitek panels, or possibly the new Logitech drivers/plugin. Anyway, going back to your recommendation of the default drive.. could anything other than the default location be a cause of it crashing?

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Hi Steve, PaulW1882 mentioned that he's "no windows expert", so installing to the default location would keep things simple. I've installed mine to the default location and still had a few CTD's, which were most likely due to aircraft and Garmin mods not installed correctly. A fresh download and re-install of the mods seemed to cure it. At this early stage, while there are so many and so frequent patches being released, I think the default install location is probably the safest bet.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi Steve, PaulW1882 mentioned that he's "no windows expert", so installing to the default location would keep things simple. I've installed mine to the default location and still had a few CTD's, which were most likely due to aircraft and Garmin mods not installed correctly. A fresh download and re-install of the mods seemed to cure it. At this early stage, while there are so many and so frequent patches being released, I think the default install location is probably the safest bet.

Ok no probs :) I agree it’s probably the easiest way

For the last two nights, I have left mine running with my plane parked up (while I was at work)

I have a cheap cctv camera watching the screen.. MSFS crashed both nights after roughly 6-7 hours. I’m not working now for a few days so again, it’s parked up. In fact I’ve just had a little flight around London. Anyway, I’m hoping my CTDs are down to the Logitech drivers (currently uninstalled and the panels unplugged) no doubt I’ll know in a few hours LOL

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Hi Paul:

How large is your hard drive? I am assuming it is an SSD. Hopefully it is at least 1TB.

As Tim has said, when you get the computer up and running, do all the windows updates first. Also, as he said, I also suggest installing to the default location, which would be the C drive, where your operating system also resides.

Read and re-read everything Plainsman said.

I am a bit worried about you 4G internet connection and speed. Maybe others can comment regarding this.

I do wish you the best, and welcome back to the world of simming!

i7-9700KF; RTX 2070 Super; Z390 Phantom Gaming 4S, 32gb G Skill 3600;

2TB 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVme; 2TB 860 EVO SSD; 1TB 860 EVO SSD; Li 205 ATX Case; Windows 10 Pro x64

Even during the days of FSX I always thought it was good practice to install FS on a drive, other than the drive on which Windows is installed.

This was primarily because traditional hard drives are relatively slow, especially when you have multiple programs trying to access the same drive simultaneously. It also helped with giving the sim more space and reducing fragmentation on the drives. These days with SSDs, the main reason for installing to a separate drive is for storage space as system or boot SSDs are often still in the 256GB range. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter if the OS and MSFS are on the same drive.

This was primarily because traditional hard drives are relatively slow, especially when you have multiple programs trying to access the same drive simultaneously. It also helped with giving the sim more space and reducing fragmentation on the drives. These days with SSDs, the main reason for installing to a separate drive is for storage space as system or boot SSDs are often still in the 256GB range. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter if the OS and MSFS are on the same drive.

Ok, thanks Loki.

I might reinstall mine again, but this time to C drive.

Regards

Steve

Thanks Stubborn Swiss :-)

Re my hard drives, I have a 1TB Seagate Barracuda 510 M.2 SSD that I'm planning to put MSFS on, plus a 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400 RPM Hard Disk

Re my internet connection unfortunately my rural location means 4G 20MBPS is all I can get at the moment, hopefully it will just about be ok

Do you have a data cap on the internet connection?

No I don't think I have a cap, I think it is unlimited fortunately

I read in a review that you're able to download scenery specific to the area that you're planning to fly in, so I have been working on the assumption that I might need to use that option at times if my internet connection isn't up to it