9U0 (Turner, MT) to KUIL (Quillayute, WA)

OK, made it to the left coast.

PART 1

fsscr000.jpg

fsscr001.jpg

fsscr002.jpg

fsscr003.jpg

fsscr004.jpg

fsscr006.jpg

fsscr007.jpg

fsscr008.jpg

Please see PART 2

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

part 2

fsscr009.jpg

fsscr010.jpg

fsscr011.jpg

fsscr012.jpg

fsscr013.jpg

fsscr014.jpg

fsscr015.jpg

fsscr016.jpg

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

More great shots David! Crossing the country at 100 knts must take a ton of time!!

That Stationair Super SkyWagon can get around 180 if I just leave it full throttle and unlimited full, keep it on autopilot and go about my business. Not too bad!

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

A fine trip to the west coast David. I especially like shot #1 in part 2. :cool: :)

Thanks Larry!

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can't believe you were 24 NM from my house and you didn't stop in for coffee!! :) (1S1)

So you are way out in God's country so to speak! I didn't know. Is there a nice eating establishment close to the airport?

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great pics! What program do you use for your map (first pic)?

That is called Little NavMap. Free and powerful tool for flight planning. I only know just enough about it to get by. I really like it.

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Look me up when you fly into Oregon! Though, I am a bit inland from the ocean perimeter. KEUG, 77S, or 61S.

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

Look me up when you fly into Oregon! Though, I am a bit inland from the ocean perimeter. KEUG, 77S, or 61S.

Well I passed by Oregon yesterday. I was hugging the coast and passed over Florence (6S2) :) Definitely west of your location.

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great shots! It looks a bit damp at the destination.

Thank you!

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is there a nice eating establishment close to the airport?

1S1 is pretty much just a border crossing with a grass strip and some short term parking. I think most people just land there to clear Customs which are within walking distance on either side. There used to be a bar there and at one time you could probably get a burger but I think it's closed down now. It's been a while since I've been up that direction so I really don't know what's going on. I was up there on a photo mission in 2011 for a friend of mine that was interested in turning 1S1 into an Orbx airport, as it turned out I think he was somewhat less than impressed once he'd seen the photos and it never materialized.

For eats I'd suggest landing at Bonners Ferry (65S) instead of Porthill. It's about 20 miles South of 1S1. Yoder's Market is marginally within walking distance, Mennonite owned, has a deli and a great sandwich menu. Best in my opinion would be to get a courtesy car and hit Two-Tones on the South end of Bonners. Mia Pueblo on Main Street in downtown BF is also excellent if you're in the mood for Mexican. The Asian Nachos at Two-Tones are absolutely delightful, would be my first recommendation, definitely a meal you won't forget about the next day.

I dug up a few RW shots of 1S1 from my photo mission in 2011:

This shot is from Hwy 1 on the east side of the airport just before crossing the border, the runway runs horizontally about halfway up the photo. The pole network on either side of the runway are hop filelds owned by Anheuser-Busch. The poles are strung with twine every spring and the hops climb the twine, at harvest they just cut the twine and the vine at the bottom and lay them in a truck to haul them off to the processing plant which is barely visible on the left side of the river behind the trees.

DSCF0004.jpg

Looking South from the NW corner of the runway

DSCF0004a.jpg

The parking area, there's a stairway just to the left of the lone hangar. You walk up the stairs and then either walk North or South from there to visit Customs depending on which way you're traveling. The Canadian Customs building is on the far left. US customs on the far right but not visible in this shot.

DSCF0028.jpg

Here's the US Customs building, sorry I didn't have a better shot

DSCF0035.jpg

A little closer shot of the Canadian Customs

DSCF0060.jpg

Finally this shot as you taxi between the runway and the parking area, the brown building on the left is the old tavern, the larger building on the right is the Porthill Mercantile, basically a convenience store.

DSCF0097.jpg

Thanks Jim! There are great shots with a good explanation. It would definitely be nice to be fincially in a place just to travel to all these places and document in RW flying :cool:

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]