Really serious instability error with FS2020: Turning on the VFR map

Hi everyone,

This has happened to me on numerous occasions. When I hit 'V' to turn on the VFR map, FS2020 often crashes -- it just shuts down, and then I have to restart the program.

If this keeps going on, I am thinking of not using the program anymore.

Maybe I was better off with FSX.

Does anyone please have any ideas?

Thank you.

Stanley

Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | Dell U2717D monitor | Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X

Total available graphics memory: 24534 MB; Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB; System video memory: 0 MB; Shared system memory: 16342 MB

Hi plainsman,

Good. Thank you for telling me.

Stanley

Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | Dell U2717D monitor | Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X

Total available graphics memory: 24534 MB; Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB; System video memory: 0 MB; Shared system memory: 16342 MB

I have not tried it, but supposedly, if you go into VFR map immediately after takeoff, it won't crash. My suggestion, don't use VFR map until this is fixed, which should be soon, since they note it in the release notes of the latest patch.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Hi plainsman and everyone else,

I can't wait for this to be fixed. I love using the VFR map. I turn it on and off frequently.

Stanley

Hi everyone,

This has happened to me on numerous occasions. When I hit 'V' to turn on the VFR map, FS2020 often crashes -- it just shuts down, and then I have to restart the program.

If this keeps going on, I am thinking of not using the program anymore.

Maybe I was better off with FSX.

Does anyone please have any ideas?

Thank you.

Stanley

Hi Stanley,

I've just tried this whilst flying around Belfast and didn't experience any crashes (so far), so I'm just wondering...is it happening in a particular area or aircraft?

Cheers

Dominic

I've been using the v map without any crashing issues in a C152X,172, Icon A5, Kitfox and a DA trainer. Have NOT flown an airliner in VFR.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have now adjusted my settings so that the VFR map opens automatically right when the flight begins. Then I keep the VFR map open throughout the flight. When I don't want to see it, I minimize it -- but I don't close it.

So far, that has solved the problem.

But the code writers should address this instability issue.

Soon, I am going to post a thread about another instability issue in FS2020 regarding the automatic heading.

Stanley

The VFR map issue has been fixed in the latest update (1.9.5.0), in fact it's number one on the list!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi Tim,

Good. My copy of FS2020 just updated today, so I am glad that this will be fixed.

Now I need to get the instability issue of using heading on automatic pilot.

Would you be so kind as to read my post on this matter. It is under the title "Heading on automatic pilot: Serious instability issue." You are so knowledgeable that I am curious as to what you think.

Thank you for your consideration.

Stanley

Hi Stanley, I'll try the keyboard command method tomorrow and see what happens - I normally use my mouse scroll wheel to turn knobs so I haven't encountered this issue yet.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64