Where Are the Waves???

In graphics, my waves are set to High, yet everywhere in the world the sea is plateglass flat, with cloud reflections.

I have some water texture in some lakes, but the ocean is completely featureless. Screenshots I have seen indicate actual waves, and certainly not dead calm.

Am I missing some setting?

Thanks all,

Mac6737

I think they temporarily turned the water textures down in the last patch, but plan to bring them back soon.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I think they temporarily turned the water textures down in the last patch, but plan to bring them back soon.

OK, glad to hear it, but the last patch was within the past week. My problem with no waves has been there since Day One, 08/26. Here's my first screenshot in MSFS2020. That would be an unusual day in the Bay Area!

Mac6737

Golden Gate.jpg

I would think the waves will only come to life when you apply wind to the simulation.... I've not got that far as the sim keeps crashing...............

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

All the effects are disabled at the moment, they're still under development.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

they are not disabled.

If you put wind in the drop down menu weather at 60 kts you will get a beautiful sea with moving waves and white foam crests

the problem is the logic relation with wind speed.

In real life wind will cause the sea to be wavy just at 15 kts

Some good soul need to find out which sim file we must tweak to show rough sea at slower wind speeds

pic taken just now outside sfco bay

0645BDCC-DF80-4B2A-8204-6561282FA76D.jpeg

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Sorry I meant engine startup, exhaust smoke, wingtip vortices and contrails effects.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

they are not disabled.

If you put wind in the drop down menu weather at 60 kts you will get a beautiful sea with moving waves and white foam crests

Some good soul need to find out which sim file we must tweak to show rough sea at slower wind speeds

Amen! 60 knots is a bit breeezy, I think, for most of the prop planes.

Mac6737

Amen! 60 knots is a bit breeezy, I think, for most of the prop planes.

Mac6737

indeed, but sea only gets lively at that surface speed

I made a video

https://youtu.be/UwQPxfx-TUQ

we need someone to find the file that tweak wind speed to activate waves at lower speeds

and we are all set

Kapitan

Here is a shot of a small lake 0.75miles long by 0.25 miles wide, taken shortly after the sim was released. There was very light wind (2-3 mph) and yet you see there was some wave action back then.

Standing Bear Lake.jpg

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Maybe they are dumbing down the graphics for the imminent next gen Xbox release.While more powerful than old xbox it has only 16 gig of ram(from what I've seen),the optimal specs from m$ for flightsim is 32 gig.they don't want the PC version to look better than their flagship Xbox so just degrade the graphics for the PC version.

So if you are thinking of buying a high end gamming PC like I did for this game(emphasis on the word "game"),You can just spend 5 or 600 dollars for a next gen xbox,M$ will limit graphics on PC to only what next gen xbox can handle.I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

they are not disabled.

pic taken just now outside sfco bay

Exactly true!

I took the Icon to crater lake, and it was flat crystal clear. Then played around with the wind setting over 100kts. OMG I was in the middle of the lake in the crater and those wave are so scary, I lost control and it dived into the lake. I have never been scared in a simulator it was so sudden.

The waves looked awesome. and once the logic is fixed.... it will be golden

Started: Flight Simulator 98 (Year 1999)

Private Pilot Certificate ASEL: August 7th 2014

There can be big waves with no wind at all in real life because they come from far away. Another asobo screw up.

Exactly, but the waves are there, they can be shown.

Its just a matter of tweaking.

Right now there are no ocean current simulation

So the only variable tweak is wind

But once you find that parameter in config file, you can set nice waves at wind zero

and fly with a more realistic ocean in general

Kapitan

Maybe they are dumbing down the graphics for the imminent next gen Xbox release.While more powerful than old xbox it has only 16 gig of ram(from what I've seen),the optimal specs from m$ for flightsim is 32 gig.they don't want the PC version to look better than their flagship Xbox so just degrade the graphics for the PC version.

So if you are thinking of buying a high end gamming PC like I did for this game(emphasis on the word "game"),You can just spend 5 or 600 dollars for a next gen xbox,M$ will limit graphics on PC to only what next gen xbox can handle.I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

my friend Xbox is synonymous of crap

no good.

The graphics depend greatly on your TV and GPU, 4K or not

The sim is only interesting with complex planes and Mods that over a span of at least four years will be constantly updated. Plus a complex cockpit and flight need all the plugins and support sites like simvector, approach plates, atc-chatter, etc that xbox wont be able to deliver to a

console user. Its for using default planes as is. Though technically you can add files its such a pain few will do it

As I always said: xbox is for kids-teens. Enjoy it

MS already knows this thats why they released for PC first. Because its more flexible, because there are mature simmers to investigate and help with bugs, etc

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

I know consoles are crap compared to good PC's.My point is I am afraid M$ will degrade the PC version down to the level of consols so its new console won't look so bad compared to PC,Ask yourself-why did they degrade the waves? Edited by B708f