Let's take out the MSFS terrain visuals...

...and how good is it???

Not bashing here, but everything really positive I read is all about the visuals. Take them out, I can't see that people really think much of MSFS. The rest is all about future hope over what the sim currently offers.

The visuals for me don't get me excited at all. I've never been a big graphics fan , prefer solid game play and why I stick with old games for many genres.

MSFS greater visual reality would be nice but at the same time the anomalies and the areas where elements aren't correct or missing would drive me insane. I also fly all over the world and want everywhere to be equal quality. I don't want to fly in the US and then fly say over Turkey and find a completely different visual world.

If MSFS terrain looked exactly the same as your previous sim, would MSFS still be your sim of choice right at this moment? Be honest!

Mark Daniels

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is because you havent been around from the start in all earlier versions

Fs9, Fsx and P3d

Even last month, few planes could be used with P3Dv5 besides it keeps crashing everytime unless you have more than 8gb vram

When released all above mentioned had nothing but crappy default planes

It takes 6 months for all the planes and addons (real airline Ai traffic, bether Ai weather, planes, crew addons etc) to start appearing

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

...and how good is it???

Not bashing here, but everything really positive I read is all about the visuals. Take them out, I can't see that people really think much of MSFS. The rest is all about future hope over what the sim currently offers.

The visuals for me don't get me excited at all. I've never been a big graphics fan , prefer solid game play and why I stick with old games for many genres.

MSFS greater visual reality would be nice but at the same time the anomalies and the areas where elements aren't correct or missing would drive me insane. I also fly all over the world and want everywhere to be equal quality. I don't want to fly in the US and then fly say over Turkey and find a completely different visual world.

If MSFS terrain looked exactly the same as your previous sim, would MSFS still be your sim of choice right at this moment? Be honest!

I agree right now FS2020 BLOWS.The only thing that makes this worthwhile is the awesome visuals.I hope all the MANY problems 2020 has will be straightened out.

...and how good is it???

First of all, you need to pay attention and read more carefully. The huge number of videos, reviews, and forum discuss in detail far more than just the "visuals". The realism of flight, weather, and many other aspects of MSFS absolutely break new ground, as even many real-life pilots attest. As for the "visuals", i.e. scenery, you and I are in different universes on this -- for me the real-life modeling of the planet is totally mind-boggling and I simply can't relate to those who find it unimportant.

As for your question, I don't follow. It is like asking, if my new car looked and drove exactly like my old car would I still buy it? What?

Fs9, Fsx and P3d

No idea where you get your info but sorry, you are a junior cadet. I am the Kapitan. lol

When released FS9 was an absolute killer flight sim. FSX was a much anticipated follow on that was hit hard at release by it's performance issues.

I can tell you if you put the 2 together, multiplied their core issues by 10, they would still be nowhere near as bug ridden as MSFS. The patches released for those titles weren't to fix core issues with aircraft, weather, AI etc etc, it all worked! MSFS needs almost every element of the sim fixed.

If you were to read a flight sim fortune cookie, it may say, "MSFS release is to bug, as FSX release was to performance"

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

As for your question, I don't follow. It is like asking, if my new car looked and drove exactly like my old car would I still buy it? What?

I'll explain it for you.

I am asking if your old car looked the same as your new car, from the way they drove which would you rather be driving???

Mark Daniels

I got FS20 on Day 1. I installed it, flew over my house, uninstalled it, and got a refund. It's possible that one day it might be a real simulation but right now it's too game-like for my taste.

Thanks, yeah, that's my feeling. It's been mentioned to be a Xbox Bing map explorer and not much else. It's why I started this thread to see if anyone can convince me otherwise. So far no one has said they would throw out their FSX even if MSFS terrain looked the same as FSX. My question offers the opportunity to separate flight sim from Bing map explorer. Just getting hostile responses. It's an indication of people smiling on the outside, crying on the inside. lol

Mark Daniels

Yes but it’s a fantastic bing map explorer! You can’t beat exploring in the C152! :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Thanks, yeah, that's my feeling. It's been mentioned to be a Xbox Bing map explorer and not much else. It's why I started this thread to see if anyone can convince me otherwise. So far no one has said they would throw out their FSX even if MSFS terrain looked the same as FSX. My question offers the opportunity to separate flight sim from Bing map explorer. Just getting hostile responses. It's an indication of people smiling on the outside, crying on the inside. lol

Speak for yourselves. It is an amazing sim. People like you who rush to the refund button i wish Microsoft would block from buying again because you're all nothing but cheap and impatient to wait for the perfect sim to be developed through updates. Children behave more mature than you all do. Your post is nothing more than an example of Xplane and P3D Fan boy trolling.

It has Global Bing Map coverage, so your claim for inaccurate locales is moot, so don't speak before you actually explore those regions.

Edited by JohnnyJohnJohn
Thermaltake Ryzen Gen 9 3900x 12 cores, 4.6 ghz 32 gig of Ram, Liquid Cooled Everything.

Mark, I actually agree with you on this point, believe it or not.

I was thinking yesterday, take away the visuals (& Godzilla), & how better is the sim, really?

With your dislike of Windows 10, would you still get MSFS?

Robin, we can have different views but I promise you I am always smiling at this end regardless of the any comments made within threads. lol

I use a Win 10 PC. I hate Win 10, always will, but I run on it what runs without issue. Would not stop me getting anything new. I happily buy any new games I want.

From the very first promo video, I am yet to see one solitary thing about MSFS to change my opinion on anything I've ever said about it.

Tried to get some comments here to a reasonable question but looking at the responses from some, it appears some of the Xbox community are already here! This tells me about all I need to know about MSFS. lol

If mods want to close this thread now that's fine. Yes, I'm also done in this forum I think unless something ridiculously unexpected occurs with MSFS.

Mark Daniels

Robin, we can have different views but I promise you I am always smiling at this end regardless of the any comments made within threads. lol

I use a Win 10 PC. I hate Win 10, always will, but I run on it what runs without issue. Would not stop me getting anything new. I happily buy any new games I want.

From the very first promo video, I am yet to see one solitary thing about MSFS to change my opinion on anything I've ever said about it.

Tried to get some comments here to a reasonable question but looking at the responses from some, it appears some of the Xbox community are already here! This tells me about all I need to know about MSFS. lol

If mods want to close this thread now that's fine. Yes, I'm also done in this forum I think unless something ridiculously unexpected occurs with MSFS.

Not an airport. No need to announce your departure! Just proves my point your an xplane troll

Thermaltake Ryzen Gen 9 3900x 12 cores, 4.6 ghz 32 gig of Ram, Liquid Cooled Everything.

All that beautiful scenery and no way to make the cockpit go away...that does blow!

I like the views in FSX&P3D...not so much in FS 2020. I do not want to spend my time

digging through menus is what I'm getting at. I spent a lot of time reassigning a new set

of key bindings only to have them disappear for no reason. I bought the Premium Deluxe

version....no 787 Dreamliner, why? Yeah its pretty...but she needs a LOT of code work.

Right now I am running this Sim on a high end Alien ware laptop..and it does run very smooth

indeed. The system I have picked out for later is about 2 grand. I won't spring for that until I

see some major improvements in this software.

My last gripe is about the sound configuration. So far that is a real bummer also....nobody seems to be able to find a way to add sounds in a consistent manner. Over 20 years the sound system has worked really well...why do we need to lock the files up in a PCK archive? Why? It does not make it sound any better. Aircraft developers are going to have a very tough time with this. It became such a mess in XPlane I stopped working with it long ago. Sound is a very important component of simulation...I don't know what we are going to do for a work around on this aspect of add-on's. It may be my time with this software has come to an end. That would suck...I have been looking forward to working in this new sim for a good while.

Thanks for reading my rant!

Cheers,

Aaron

Skysong Soundworks

Aaron

All that beautiful scenery and no way to make the cockpit go away...that does blow!

I like the views in FSX&P3D...not so much in FS 2020. I do not want to spend my time

digging through menus is what I'm getting at. I spent a lot of time reassigning a new set

of key bindings only to have them disappear for no reason. I bought the Premium Deluxe

version....no 787 Dreamliner, why? Yeah its pretty...but she needs a LOT of code work.

Right now I am running this Sim on a high end Alien ware laptop..and it does run very smooth

indeed. The system I have picked out for later is about 2 grand. I won't spring for that until I

see some major improvements in this software.

My last gripe is about the sound configuration. So far that is a real bummer also....nobody seems to be able to find a way to add sounds in a consistent manner. Over 20 years the sound system has worked really well...why do we need to lock the files up in a PCK archive? Why? It does not make it sound any better. Aircraft developers are going to have a very tough time with this. It became such a mess in XPlane I stopped working with it long ago. Sound is a very important component of simulation...I don't know what we are going to do for a work around on this aspect of add-on's. It may be my time with this software has come to an end. That would suck...I have been looking forward to working in this new sim for a good while.

Thanks for reading my rant!

Cheers,

Aaron

Skysong Soundworks

Thanks! A helpful post!

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

Let's just say at this stage it is very scenery and non AP GA flight orientated, preferably finished in one computer session.

I do like FS20 so far as it goes but IMHO is over priced and over rated for what we got at the moment. I freely admit to buying into the PR hype not to mention the carefully sanctioned YT video clips created by the alpha and beta testers, when what they should have been doing in no uncertain terms was telling MS/Asobo - your AP doesn't work properly, resuming a saved flight is a complete lottery as to what state it loads in (with no flightplan in the jet FMC's), et al. Then maybe we might not be having so many of these bantering conversations on the board these last few weeks.

If you want to do a serious long haul flight in a vintage jet, then FSX is still the goto sim for the foreseeable future. (I find the default tubes in XP11 come with their own baggage when considering a long flight that can't be flown in one sitting).

Vern.

Hi Vern, the Alpha/beta testers weren’t allowed to upload any videos (or make them for that matter)

Plenty of reports were sent to Asobo. Some things were fixed but it’s all down to priorities. They will (hopefully) fix more bugs & problems as time goes on. They’ve promised plenty of patches and updates :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

...and how good is it???

I completely agree. And for this reason I have gone back to FS9 and my addons. And before anyone says anything yes I have been playing flight sim games going all the way back to the Sublogic one. MSFS2020 is the worst one released yet. Beta game at best.

Yes, because the weather engine is equally impressive as the scenery. Because when you fly, you need to understand and deal with the weather, this huge leap forward is enough reason to pick MSFS other than the scenery. Also the Cessna 152 is the only best awesome default aircraft I love and fly.

Edited by BushPilot

Started: Flight Simulator 98 (Year 1999)

Private Pilot Certificate ASEL: August 7th 2014

Not an airport. No need to announce your departure! Just proves my point your an xplane troll

Your act is tired, calling anybody who doesn’t care for FS2020 a troll, X-plane fanboy, etc.

ANY video game will have its fans, as well as dissenters. You’re gonna have to just deal with it.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Fs9, Fsx and P3d

This is for the Kapitan. This is a pic from 2004. PC is a Pentium 4. That's a scanner for film negatives next to the printer as digital wasn't all the rage just yet. Monitor was a non widescreen as widescreen wasn't the rage just yet. Yes, I still have the X-52 although it's not as shiny looking these days as it was back then. Can anyone recognize the aircraft on screen?

Kapitan.jpg

Mark Daniels

Mark,

nice setup for those days

I coulndt recognize what plane is, I know its 2D cockpit probably from Fs2002 looks a four engine but since its not similar to any four engine cockpit that i know of, its difficult to tell. It doesnt llok like the 707 or dc8, nor 747 or A340

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Mark,

nice setup for those days

I coulndt recognize what plane is, I know its 2D cockpit probably from Fs2002 looks a four engine but since its not similar to any four engine cockpit that i know of, its difficult to tell. It doesnt llok like the 707 or dc8, nor 747 or A340

Kapitan,

It was FS9 in the early days. I still remember I took this pic to show a friend the X-52 as it had just been released. Yeah, it's been a fun 16 years from the day the pic was taken.

I won't give away anything on the aircraft as someone else may want to take a guess. 2D cockpit it is, I'll give that part away. I'm also a 2D panel fan to this day so no, this forum and MSFS may not be for me. May the rest of you enjoy MSFS but I'm incredibly happy to still be living in the same world the pic was taken.

Mark Daniels

Anyone else might want to guess? I’ve spent ages googling and checking out various cockpits.. from 707s to B52s ... I give up! LOL

Regards

Steve