Let's take out the MSFS terrain visuals...

I got FS20 on Day 1. I installed it, flew over my house, uninstalled it, and got a refund. It's possible that one day it might be a real simulation but right now it's too game-like for my taste.

Most likely because you left everything at the default settings. You can turn off all those visuals and assists just like in FS9/FSX. From your post it sounds like you didn't even try the simulator at all. All you did was take a Dorito out of the bag lick the powder off and put it back. Saying, "This is all there is?"

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No probs, all good. At least on this site they allow threads to continue on long enough for the issues between people to sort themselves out. Hope some of you AVSIM mods are here reading and paying attention! lol

Happy you're enjoying it, that's all we want from our flight sims. As I've said, graphics aren't big for me. I fly jets, the most impressive visuals I take notice of and see are the airports. The high end airports in FS9 still look good and keep me happy.

I'm always open to a new sim, it just has to offer me enough. I can't see myself ever leaving FS9 but having a second sim to go along with it, that's a possibility.

We do have a lot of common ground with FS9, Mark, (even if mine is not supposed to work as well as it does... BUT that story has been put to sleep!)

Anyway.. I was very excited to hear about a new sim, & have obviously been following the release journey of MSFS since day 1! ( a pet peeve of mine is also the thumb-sucked names given to the sim - No debate please!!

My thoughts are as follows, & I really do not want to get into any debate! I feel that if you take away the scenery bling, you end up with a mediocre, at this stage, sim with a bunch of mediocre GA planes.. Also, as I do not fly any tubes, no comment about that. It also seems to be painful to set up with controllers as well.

This is NOT sim bashing by any means. OK, so you can fly over your house.. Seriously???

But can you do it with a DC-3? or a glider or a LZ-127 (Graf Zeppelin)? or even an Avro Shackleton?

Thats our VA's favourite aircraft , as we have the only flyable one left i n the world.

Mark, PM me in that regard!!

FSX... I've tried, really tried to get into FSX.. I've ended up regarding FSX as the Windows Vista of sims.. Meh! I just gave it up.

So, what can I really get out of MSFS? (apart from scenery, & bandwith hog?)

The late great Garry Smith, of Ford Tri-Motor fame (I was a beta tester for him, for an unreleased Death Star Project) & who gave us sloping runways & ramps in FS2004, always said that simming is all about Fun, Facts & Fiction..

So, there we go...

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

" It also seems to be painful to set up with controllers as well. "

Hi zswobbie1, I'd just like to pick up on your point and say this to people and I'm not trying to be awkward with anyone. This is trying to be a simulator. It will of course always be called a Game for various reasons but it is still understandably a bit complex in it's initial setting up for those not familiar with the effort needed to do that. However it is a one time exercise which will probably not all be completed on day one because the user is keen to jump into a cockpit and go fly. More settings are likely to be made by the user as they discover the need. It takes a litle time to navigate and learn the menus buit that's not unreasonable. Also, if someone thinks they can fly this 'simulator' with a keyboard and mouse and complain about the difficulty then, IMHO, they have bought the wrong product.

If someone wants to fly reasonably seriously in a simulator like this they need to give it time and apply themselves. It also takes a little time to create a decent flight plane and then go fly it. However, I am often happy to create a small flight (I don't even fly wide-body) and go fly it but I still had to set up the controls.

I really appreciate your comments. I fly with a yoke, pedals & a joystick, with the appropriate aircraft.. flying a Cessna with a joystick is not really taking simming seriously (in my humble opinion).

I'm off to create a small flight with an AN-2 (with skis) with Russian Antarctic scenery & camps.

So yes, I do fly reasonably seriously, with a decent aircraft, that does not make me a lesser simmer just beacause I'm just not that 'into' MSFS & prefer non GA slightly older aircraft.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

In Allflightmods site there are 60 addons more from yesterday to today. Mostly landmarks or improvements in specific scenery.

The wonderful thing about MSFS is that sceneries are being created by users in an ant-type small contribution way. You dont need to download them now, (an addition of a landmark in a city you dont even know is not big deal) But later, someone will compile all these little addons by city, and it will payoff.

Today somebody added Buckingham Palace for London for example (which was not even depicted in payware London City by orbx). So imagine thousand of contributions. City sceneries will be free and at unprecedented detail

Besides payware only tackles big known cities. The user input (as they grow per country and region) will enhance their regional surroundings

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

But later, someone will compile all these little addons by city, and it will payoff.

Kapitan, flightsim.to has an even wider selection and their sceneries are categorised by country rather than by city.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

We do have a lot of common ground with FS9, Mark, (even if mine is not supposed to work as well as it does... BUT that story has been put to sleep!)

Anyway.. I was very excited to hear about a new sim, & have obviously been following the release journey of MSFS since day 1! ( a pet peeve of mine is also the thumb-sucked names given to the sim - No debate please!!

My thoughts are as follows, & I really do not want to get into any debate! I feel that if you take away the scenery bling, you end up with a mediocre, at this stage, sim with a bunch of mediocre GA planes.. Also, as I do not fly any tubes, no comment about that. It also seems to be painful to set up with controllers as well.

This is NOT sim bashing by any means. OK, so you can fly over your house.. Seriously???

But can you do it with a DC-3? or a glider or a LZ-127 (Graf Zeppelin)? or even an Avro Shackleton?

Thats our VA's favourite aircraft , as we have the only flyable one left i n the world.

Mark, PM me in that regard!!

FSX... I've tried, really tried to get into FSX.. I've ended up regarding FSX as the Windows Vista of sims.. Meh! I just gave it up.

So, what can I really get out of MSFS? (apart from scenery, & bandwith hog?)

The late great Garry Smith, of Ford Tri-Motor fame (I was a beta tester for him, for an unreleased Death Star Project) & who gave us sloping runways & ramps in FS2004, always said that simming is all about Fun, Facts & Fiction..

So, there we go...

I agree. I have tried MSFS2020 and if you take out the scenery you are left with a mediocre sim that needs a lot of work. I stick with FS9 and my addons because I like to fly airliners. And old ones at that. I usually fly the HJG B727-100/200 and the HJG DC9-30. I don't have any interest in any of the current planes in MSFS2020. Fall is rapidly coming upon us. I like how FS9 represent fall with all of the tree colors. I am reading that MSFS2020 will not have seasons. Another negative for me. My favorite season is Winter. I do not want to see green grass and green trees with snow. I did try MSFS2020 with the Xbox for PC pass. I am here because I honestly do want to see MSFS2020 fixed. I do want to see 3rd party old aircraft (I love 2D cockpits. I do not like what MSFS2020 gives us). I also want to see seasons in MSFS2020. Until this new sim has what I want I will not use it again. I might only use FS9 and I am happy and ok with that. In my honest opinion MSFS2020 should have been released with an Early Access warning. It's beta and has a long way to go to be mature.

But just picture how it will be when it does mature??? It will be spectacular. And the visuals will also improve as time goes on, (if that's even possible) and we will have a real world experience on our hands, that no one else will be able to compete with. Even Micro$oft themselves with their earlier versions.
Thermaltake Ryzen Gen 9 3900x 12 cores, 4.6 ghz 32 gig of Ram, Liquid Cooled Everything.

It's the one annoying thing about flight sims. Payware developers focus on all the same aircraft and miss some really great ones. Maybe MSFS will have a Dash 7 eventually then I might be back. lol

Milton, are you out there or any of the other guys who all worked together and made Milton Shupe's Dash 7 one of the greatest joys ever to fly? It's the only aircraft I've used through FS2002, 2004 and FSX and I am hoping beyond hope that we will see a resurrected Dash 7 for MSFS2020 someday. I know it was said earlier that there would be no more sim version updates to Milton's Dash 7 after FSX, but come on guys, all you great developers! Let's get that bird back up the sky again for MSFS2020. That aircraft and this scenery and that's all I want for Christmas and Fathers Day and my birthday, etc. :-)

Remember guys, FS2020 is version 1.0. Improvements to flight dynamics, additional aircraft etc. will come. This version was released because of the implementation in new technology and the most realistic scenery to fly anywhere in the world right out of the box with zero add-ons. The result is a whole new generation of enthusiasts all over the world thrilled to experience the sensation of flight for the very first time. Give it some time because this is the future of flight simulation as technology moves forward. Edited by doering1

As an aside, I do find the visuals in the USA, particularly the mountainous parts, don't strike me as being quite right. They look like... poster art is the best description I can come up with. Now before anyone starts about my GPU and graphics settings, this is something which I found exactly the same in the pre-release video clips particularly those showing the training flights around Sedona - which were watched on a variety of TV's and a iPad.

By contrast other hilly or mountainous parts of the world don't seem to suffer this effect - the northern hills and moors of the UK look just right.

Vern.