I really like the ability to display a map at anytime, this is convenient for taxiing and for navigation.

Do you know what are 'isoline map' and 'GPS tracking' in the VFR map window? I turned them on and off but couldn't see any change...

Do you know how to get frequency information from this map? (get a VOR or ILS frequency}

Thanks for your help.

I really like the ability to display a map at anytime, this is convenient for taxiing and for navigation.

Do you know what are 'isoline map' and 'GPS tracking' in the VFR map window? I turned them on and off but couldn't see any change...

Do you know how to get frequency information from this map? (get a VOR or ILS frequency}

Thanks for your help.

isolines will be drawn around areas where the elevation changes.

GPS tracking will keep you centered on the map.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

So far, although still only in the first week of using it, I've found the "VFR" maps pretty useless, particularly in the Bush activities. Real VFR maps are highly detailed showing highways, rail lines, power lines, larger vertical structures, and details regarding every public and some privately operated airports including elevation, runway length, availability of lighting etc. They are very useful for the basic flying skill of pilotage which is essentially what the Bush mode is supposed to represent, i.e. flying with respect to known physical characteristics of the land around you. About the only way the MSFS 2020 "VFR" maps are useful is that they show water ways and ground contour and the location and runway orientation of airports similar to but way less detailed than real VFR Sectional or terminal area or the broader area VFR flight planning maps. And with a lot of pilots these days using cellphones and tablets to track their flights in real time with the detailed sectional and terminal maps, it's comical to me that they put up these nearly useless VFR maps that don't support even simple pilotage by providing references like roads, rail lines, city boundaries, and power lines. No one in this day and age would fly into unknown territory without as much detail as they could find to carry with them.

As to the isogonic lines option, isogonic lines describe the perimeter of areas of equal altitude and augment the basic coloring running from MSL in light blue through green, yellow, brown, etc. representing broad scale elevation changes. And that's about the only part of "VFR" maps they got right.

To toggle the isoline map and gps tracking, you need to click on the expand window icon (the box with arrow pointing top right) which moves the window to the top left of your screen. You can now resize the window as you wish, click on the isoline switch to switch isolines on, and you can click and drag anywhere on the map to toggle gps tracking off and see further along your flight plan or zoom in or out with your mouse scroll wheel.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Features like this always existed in other sims, decided against when saw it installs a server to make the connection between the map and the sim, usually affects performance

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

There is a great new, and free, interactive VFR map that connects to MSFS and is based on Street Map and is extremely detailed. It's great!

Check out https://www.msfsaddons.org/freeware/plugin-vfrmap

Yes, this is a recommendable Tool. You can even access the Map from any browser within you lokal network. I use the map on my ipad for example.

I would prefer the VFR map to show the assisted taxi route instead of those awful blue arrows in the main window. They are such an immersion killer.

Stinger

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Fully agreed.

Not only these blue arrows are terrible, but you have to go in the assistance menu to turn them on or off. Using an item of the ATC window in FSX was more convenient, even if not realistic...

Maybe an add-on map will do this one day? I hope...