• 3 weeks later...
I had the same trouble until I calibrated my controllers using the built-in Windows 10 Game Controllers app - go to the Search window on the Task Bar and type joy.cpl to open it.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Are you using a CH Yoke? I had the exact same problem. I hooked up my Logitech 3d joystick and the autopilot worked just fine. I then reprogrammed the CH slowly, adding just the basic controls at first. I think my problem was a command I mapped and it gave me a warning (which I disregarded). I have it working fine now.

I was fighting autopilot at first too. Then watched several of the YouTube videos explaining how to use it and then it finally clicked for me. Now I am doing the Patagonia bush trip and using it with zero issues. It's a matter of looking what mode it is in, what attitude, altitude, and heading you plane is in, and how you get the plane to get where you want by changing autopilot settings.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I've got the autopilot down now but it took awhile. It's more like the X-Plane 11 AP than the FSX ones. The only thing that I can't seem to get to work is the speed hold. It really sucks having to manage you speed over a 3 hour flight.

according to their official notes on the flightsimulator.com page, they are looking into a number of autopilot issues.

I had an interesting one the other day where I was using the AP in the Caravan, I was in alt hold, and hdg hold, using the hdg bug to adjust... After about the 4th change to hdg, the AP just kinda freaked out and started turning left as you're talking about. I was in about the last 20 minutes of my flight anyhow, so it wasn't a big deal to hand fly, but annoying just the same.

They seem to be targeting Sept24 for the next patch. I hope these kind of fixes are what they get in, and not just eyecandy things.

It seems that many of the issues that people have had with AP in MSFS is caused by not understanding how it works. I went through some tutorials and worked on it quite a bit and now it works for me very well.

The only bug I've run into is where, very occasionally, the thing will hold onto Alt even when I disengage the AP. It seems to want to control the elevator and ignore my inputs. It's happened a couple of times in several dozen flights, so it's not been a show stopper for me.

• 2 weeks later...
It's not like fsx where you can select a altitude, and it will choose the default rate of climb, and go there. You have to set rate of climb or it won't do anything.

....as the real autopilot

Another reason for being imposible to go back to previous sims that had simplified autopilots.

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think