On this date 1 august 2007

On 1 August 2007 Bridge #9340, 8 lanes wide & part of I-35W collapsed in between Minneapolis and St. Paul. 13 were killed and over 100 admitted to hospital. TBTG it was only 06:05 or much more traffic would have been on it!!

So I took a Maule to KMSP to refuel, then check out the "new" replacement. Afterward I continued to KSTP and stopped there. Using ORBX as usual I noticed the highway traffic was portrayed as being very light for such a busy stretch of highway. Perhaps the Corona Virus?

1 Arriving MSP.jpg

2 Rollout MSP.jpg

3 Over Minneapolis.jpg

4 New Bridge Ahead.jpg

5 New Bridge opposite view.jpg

6 Approaching St Paul.jpg

7 Wing View.jpg

8 Turning towards STP.jpg

9 Lots of Lakes.jpg

10 Boring Golf Course Looks like a Bowlong Alley.jpg

11 Looking Back.jpg

12 STP Ahead.jpg

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Great flight and I sure remember that event!

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great shots of the new bridge and surrounding area Michael. I remember that incident also - glued to the TV that day.

Truth be known - quite a number of our bridges are in terrible shape as are our dams, electrical grid, water and sewer systems. You name it our infrastructure is in dire need of repair. :)

Larry

Great shots of the new bridge and surrounding area Michael. I remember that incident also - glued to the TV that day.

Truth be known - quite a number of our bridges are in terrible shape as are our dams, electrical grid, water and sewer systems. You name it our infrastructure is in dire need of repair. :)

I couldn't agree more!! As I travel around the US it's like let's be as cheap as we can on public facilities, not just bridges it's sewers, water lines, natural gas pipelines etc.

One small example, we have Interstate bridge here across the Ohio River that has had almost no maintenance since it was built in the early seventies. They're now trying to figure how to repair it before it plunges. Rather than repair as needed, it's now going to require a total shut down, probably for years to bring it back. If they can!

In Europe as of my latest trip there last year, they are decades better than us in terms of facilities maintenance.

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.