Thread: MSFS 2020 Which method for Install

1. Default MSFS 2020 Which method for Install

Hi I am going to buy MSFS 2020, but not sure whether to use disk, download or Steam. I have FSX on Steam but have some niggle problems with it e.g. cleared to land but on touch sad own aircraft taxiing on the runway, atc continually saying my aircraft taxiing and stopping other planes even when there are any. Don’t want this type of problem with the new sim. On the positive side Steam handles the install and all upgrades which is a plus. Disc install, 10 discs! Then how to you get told of upgrades and how do you install them? Same goes for downloads, but how how will it take to download. If anyone ones can help would be very helpful as £109 is quite a bit to spend on the new sim.
    Thanks
    Andy

If you go for the disc version you will still need to download more content & updates anyway. Also you will be required to keep one of the discs in your drive whenever you want to fly.

So.. you can either download from MS or download via steam (you’re still downloading either way)
    If you go for Steam, you will need to have the Steam client running whenever you fly.
    I’d buy it & download from Microsoft if I were you.

Regards
    Steve

3. Default

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply. That sounds like good advice.
    Regards
    Andy

Buying it digitally from Microsoft store will probably give the devs the larges share of revenue. Steams takes up to 30% of revenue. A lot of the money from disc versions goes towards store profits, disc "production" and distribution.
    Last edited by volpo; 08-05-2020 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by volpo View Post
    Buying it digitally from Microsoft store will probably give the devs the larges share of revenue. Steams takes up to 30% of revenue. A lot of the money from disc versions goes towards store profits, disc "production" and distribution.
    Some pretty good points there. More reasons for buying from Microsoft

Hi,
    I'll be downloading the digital program, but can anyone tell me if I can download it to an external drive connected with USB 3? May seem easy, but I've not installed a FS externally before so I have no idea what problems I may encounter.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by g7rta View Post
    If you go for the disc version you will still need to download more content & updates anyway. Also you will be required to keep one of the discs in your drive whenever you want to fly.

So.. you can either download from MS or download via steam (you’re still downloading either way)
    If you go for Steam, you will need to have the Steam client running whenever you fly.
    I’d buy it & download from Microsoft if I were you.

Regards
    Steve
    Needing to keep a disk in the drive has not been confirmed.
    In fact once installed FSX did not need a disk in the drive either.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by pgm View Post
    I've got the Premium Deluxe disk set on order myself, hoping your right. I noticed a lot of disk set order cancellations when the rumor came out the disk was needed. I kept my order in place. Hopefully enough people with disk sets will complain if true. Even if initially a disk is required, Microsoft could provide a update to eliminate the need for the disk.
    Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by pgm View Post
    The folks that are selling the DVD version HAVE confirmed that DVD 1 in your DVD drive will be necessary in order to run MSFS. This slows down multiple installs.