Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Navigation Question

1. Default

Often a quick drawing helps to visualize it.
    like so:

--
    Flying 252 heading to VOR -- then turning to 048 radial:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	turning to 048 radial.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	218704

(Flight-path is the dotted line.)

2. Default

You are right thankyou, I thought I knew more than I did. Like I say I have ordered books about navigation so will read them first along with using the sources you have provided. I apologise, I do try to rush ahead out of enthusiasm, but its no good. I will go right back to the basics, learn properly and effectively. Thanks so much for your time I appreciate it

3. Default

Thanks that does help, I think you are right though I am not here yet, I need to go back to the start and learn the basics. But it does make sense what you are saying

Quote Originally Posted by il88pp View Post
    Often a quick drawing helps to visualize it.
    like so:

--
    Flying 252 heading to VOR -- then turning to 048 radial:

(Flight-path is the dotted line.)
    Nice drawing -- well illustrated.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

5. Default

Thanks Inuss, whats a good way to practice flying with charts and following these instructions once I have learned these books and links you gave me? Should I download real charts and do it that way? My problem has been not knowing where to start. I feel quite bad about taking up so much of your time

6. Default

Thanks, sorry I thought it was Inuss who posted that, this forum looks small on my phone. Appreciate it

il88pp posted the drawing. I'd forget the approach plates (charts) until you get into instrument flying, since they're just an additional complication for now. But real sectional charts would be good to have. In addition to what's on line, your local flight school may have some out-of-date paper charts that you can get for nothing, or almost nothing, since they are reissued roughly every six months or so. It's possible they'd also have some other kinds of outdated paper charts available, but that's less common.

My problem has been not knowing where to start.
    If you don't know of anything better, I'd suggest starting with the flight lessons in FSX, along with reading the FAA manuals I suggested above. By the time you finish those you'll know as much or more than most simmers (other than real pilots) about the basics of flight and VFR navigation, and you'll have a solid foundation on which to base further progress, such as an instrument rating (sim-style, of course), and some of the available FAA manuals cover that, too.

And while you're at it, if you search the file library here for fsx_default_mtk.zip you can get improved handling for the default C-172, which should make things a bit easier for you, as well.

Good luck

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    il88pp posted the drawing. I'd forget the approach plates (charts) until you get into instrument flying, since they're just an additional complication for now. But real sectional charts would be good to have. In addition to what's on line, your local flight school may have some out-of-date paper charts that you can get for nothing, or almost nothing, since they are reissued roughly every six months or so. It's possible they'd also have some other kinds of outdated paper charts available, but that's less common.

If you don't know of anything better, I'd suggest starting with the flight lessons in FSX, along with reading the FAA manuals I suggested above. By the time you finish those you'll know as much or more than most simmers (other than real pilots) about the basics of flight and VFR navigation, and you'll have a solid foundation on which to base further progress, such as an instrument rating (sim-style, of course), and some of the available FAA manuals cover that, too.

And while you're at it, if you search the file library here for fsx_default_mtk.zip you can get improved handling for the default C-172, which should make things a bit easier for you, as well.

Good luck
    You CANNOT learn ILS/VOR navigation from an A320 or anyother jet. The learning curve is too steep and the turns too fast, and sharp...
    Learn with the default 172.
    Simple is best! And the lessons in the sim are optimised, for good reason!

Quote Originally Posted by mallcott View Post
    You CANNOT learn ILS/VOR navigation from an A320 or anyother jet. The learning curve is too steep and the turns too fast, and sharp...
    Learn with the default 172.
    Simple is best! And the lessons in the sim are optimised, for good reason!
    And where did I say anything about jets? Wasn't I suggesting the C-172?

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

10. Default

Great advice thanks, I absolutely love flying with the Cessna 172 and have been concentrating on that right back to basics. The FAA stuff is amazing, really in depth but in such a way that it is comprehensible.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast