Another Flightsim Adventure

I've been through some stuff which have made me a pretty terrible sleeper. And yet when I got home, I slept. Like I used to back in the old days.

After a few days, I was back at work.

Days turned to weeks, weeks turned to months. Life was quiet. I liked it that way.

One day, I was flying into New York again. It's not rare, I go through there all the time. The aircraft I was in was practically empty, no passengers or cargo. Just myself and a few crew members.

One of them was Amanda. She was a flight attendant who loved to use the old Lethal Weapon line about how she was too old for this...stuff. She was in the cockpit with me as we joked about whatever it was, when a surprised look crossed her face.

"Oh," she said. "I almost forgot. Just before we took off, someone gave me this, and asked me to hand it to you." She pulled a little envepole from her pocket and handed it to me.

I opened it up to find a piece of stationary inside with a hand written note.

"Job isn't done, you know what to do."

2020-4-17_21-44-10-843.jpg

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

And the saga continues.

I’ve never seen that livery before. Looking good :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I can imagine you're thinking "here we go again." How do you think I felt?

I won't bore you with the meeting that took place in the bowels of the United Nations building. Suffice it to say this time no one batted an eye when I entered the war room. Before long I had been shipped over to La Guardia where I took their team out in an Airbus. Destination? Katmandu. Why Katmandu you ask? Because it seems they want me to go as far out of the way as possible.

2020-4-18_11-27-46-803.jpg

The flight is only about 9000 miles.

Somewhere over northern Ontario one of the engines cut out and needed restarting. After that the plane was pulling to the right and I seriously considered diverting to another location except even then the closest airport I was at all familiar with was an hour away. Once I had it stabilized, I decided to push on instead, and after a bit figured out that somehow, the plane had used up all the fuel on the left side first instead of pulling from both equally. Very odd.

I decided to land in Inuvik to refuel. I'm sure it's the biggest plane to land there in a long time.

2020-4-18_14-32-10-408.jpg

Hanging out in the colder climates? This could be a clever diversion :confused:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We refueled again in Russia, then made it all the way to Katmandu.

2020-4-18_21-36-58-50.jpg

We had enough fuel to go around if required, but we couldn't have diverted. Luckily the weather wasn't bad.

2020-4-18_21-51-21-666.jpg

It was after dark, and I was surprised when they told me they wouldn't be going until dawn. I found myself a place to spend the night. I wouldn't call it a hotel, more of an inn. As I was closing the door, one of the guys asked me an odd question.

"Have you ever flown a helicopter?"

I was shocked because it was the first time any of them had asked about what I knew how to fly. "Sure," I said. "I've flown some Robinsons and stuff like that."

"Hmph," he snorted. "I'm not talking about a Robinson."

Nice cockpit shot! :pilot:

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Sure enough, the next morning there was a helicopter waiting, and it was no Robinson.

2020-4-18_21-57-5-727.jpg

As the team piled in, I whispered a few silent words to encourage myself. Takeoff was not terrible, and for the most part the flight wasn't bad either. At least that's my story. Approaching the designated co-ordinates, I found I was way too close, way too high, and going way too fast. I had to circle around and give myself an extra few miles to try again.

2020-4-18_22-23-42-215.jpg

The landing was hard and I overshot the field, coming to a stop just before hitting the trees at the perimeter. As the team jumped out I heard someone mutter "If they didn't already know we were here, they know now." An accurate assessment of my ability to fly this helicopter.

2020-4-18_22-24-49-251.jpg

What happened next, I'll never know exactly. Only a few minutes passed before I hear gunfire. Imagine all those movies you've seen where the Seal team moves in, except this was much more real. And scary.

It didn't last more than a few minutes, then I saw the team coming back across the field, dragging an extra person wearing an orange shirt with a bag over his head. As they climbed onboard, someone tapped me on the shoulder. "Go, go!"

Edited by andyjohnston

Can’t be me! I’m in an undisclosed location :) Perhaps my body double.

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Orange shirt with a bag over his head....? Must have been Adam, I told the authorities he refused to pay some huge bar bills. That will teach him! :rolleyes:

Says he who keeps cancelling his credit cards as soon as I use them!!! :mad::mad:

BTW: How's the pumping going? :p:p;)

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Lucky I interrupted my inquiries about fiscal arrangements in the Caymans. Will keep bargaining with Luxemburg or Switzerland, closer! :):)
Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

2020-4-19_8-22-35-316.jpg

My takeoff and return to Katmandu was a lot smoother. The landing, not so much.

2020-4-19_8-33-8-164.jpg

From there it was into a 747 where I was given a plan to follow, it was almost 10,000 miles long.

2020-4-19_8-50-53-88.jpg

2020-4-19_8-51-25-318.jpg

I had to put down at Eareckson to refuel, by that time I was running on fumes. I'll see how far I can get before stopping again.

2020-4-19_11-19-11-197.jpg

Nice to see the Queen :pilot:

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And the plot thickens!

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As I took off from the secret location, I was given a heads up.

"According to the info we got in Katmandu, this may be the last leg, stay sharp"

2020-4-20_8-11-50-398.jpg

We took off late in the day so that we'd be arriving after dark. Harder for us to see, but also harder for them to see us. We were on descent, only a few miles out, when I hit something. In the dark I couldn't see it, but we were too high for it to be a bird, a drone maybe? Either way, it was sucked into the number four engine which immediately blew out.

2020-4-20_8-44-34-838.jpg

Coming in, I switched the nav hold off and the plane started pulling to the right. It was more than just engine damage, there was something wrong, I did what I could to compensate, but the aircraft was extremely sluggish rolling to the left. The tower at San Juan gave me instructions to land on runway eight, and I lined up to capture the ILS, while still maintaining enough altitude to avoid the terrain below.

2020-4-20_8-53-10-638.jpg

The landing was smooth, all things considered, but the rollout was a little slower than usual. Not an issue, as we heard Straka's Baron communicating with the tower to get cleared for take off. We blocked him in and the team moved in for the arrest. Another job done.

As I took off from the secret location, I was given a heads up.

"According to the info we got in Katmandu, this may be the last leg, stay sharp"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]218357[/ATTACH]

We took off late in the day so that we'd be arriving after dark. Harder for us to see, but also harder for them to see us. We were on descent, only a few miles out, when I hit something. In the dark I couldn't see it, but we were too high for it to be a bird, a drone maybe? Either way, it was sucked into the number four engine which immediately blew out.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]218358[/ATTACH]

Coming in, I switched the nav hold off and the plane started pulling to the right. It was more than just engine damage, there was something wrong, I did what I could to compensate, but the aircraft was extremely sluggish rolling to the left. The tower at San Juan gave me instructions to land on runway eight, and I lined up to capture the ILS, while still maintaining enough altitude to avoid the terrain below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]218359[/ATTACH]

The landing was smooth, all things considered, but the rollout was a little slower than usual. Not an issue, as we heard Straka's Baron communicating with the tower to get cleared for take off. We blocked him in and the team moved in for the arrest. Another job done.

Not quite! I had left hours ago! ;)

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]