Windows 10 'cheat'

ChristoffNY

Not sure I understand what you are trying to say, Mark.. My last 2 installs run perfectly, in Windows 10 mode, without any compatibility issues. All my aircraft and scenery payware work perfectly.

I must admit that I have 1 or 2 addons that have to be installed as Admin and compatibility mode. That's ONLY when I run the install exe.

Doesn't matter Robin.

Mark Daniels

That's a bit of a sweeping statement and not at all the case for me. My oldest piece of software was released in 2004 (and hasn't been updated since 2007) and runs flawlessly in Win 10. I have several others I use regularly which haven't been updated in many years which also work without problems. I've no doubt that there is some software out there which has problems, but I've yet to find any.

Programs are not as bad as games. How many old games you running?

Mark Daniels

Maybe ignorance is bliss (and I'm certainly ignorant when computers are involved) but I've upgraded my desktop and laptop from Win 7 to Win10 without the slightest problem, with all programs (including FSX with dozens of add-on's) running perfectly.

It seems to be fashion to denigrate Win10, but I've found it to be by far the best OS I've encountered, starting from Win 98SE.

Maybe ignorance is bliss

I have 20-30 games running on my Win XP system that don't work on Win 10 but also worked on every other OS. That's not all the games I have that don't work, just the ones I figure I may want to mess around with at some point in the not too distant future. Most, if not all those games you will find NOBODY can run on Win 10. It's not user specific. It's things like legacy components that are changed or stripped from Win 10 that these games need to function correctly.

If you just use and play a couple of games, ignorance very well may play a part.

One day "the update" that wipes out FS9/FSX will come along and I'll be fascinated to see the love for Win 10 after it happens.

Everyone loves Win 10 while their fav old game works.

Mark Daniels

I have 4 games more than 5 years old and one more than 10 years old. That said, you did say "programs" in your original post, not games.

I run several games more than ten years old. Windows 10 handled them all.

Haven't found a game that's ten years old that WON'T run under Win 10, although I suspect they do exist.

Games running DirectX 9 and earlier are all in the Win 10 firing line.

Try Call of Duty, maybe some of the Madden games or NHL games, fancy some Colin McRae? How about some Links LS? Far Cry is good, available on GOG too for Win 10! Oh, minus reflections working correctly of course. You need Win XP for that stuff. You also better work out how to go back versions because the GOG version the AI will see you hiding in a tent.

Maybe some fun action games like Spidey? He doesn't work either.

I always liked Alias from the tv show...nope...not that one either.

Just rattling off a few randoms. They are broken for everyone on Win 10. The list continues to grow.

Mark Daniels

Here, just thought about who I was gonna call! Only one quick example of a potential Win 10 functioning game.

I can run it...maybe...not sure..gotta follow all this stuff first and then hope like crazy it works, works properly, works properly to the end of the game.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=893544193

I might just be silly and stick it on another OS and hit next a couple of times on the installer and be done with it and any potential problems. I want it installed and running in 2-3 minutes, not 2-3 weeks...well...assuming all goes well of course.

Grand Theft Auto, classic series there or Tiger Woods or No One Lives Forever 2 or...

Mark Daniels

This has me confused. What are GOG suggesting here? Surely not that the game may work today but not tomorrow???

Surely this can't be correct??? The warning is only for Win 10 too!

Please be advised that Windows 10 operating system will receive frequent hardware driver and software updates following its release; this may affect game compatibility.

Mark Daniels