Optimal Memory

PDNoel

I have been simming for years and have over 14,000 hours of tubeliner flight. I recently built a new machine running a Windows 7 64-Bit OS, 12Gigs of Ram, an AMD 4Ghz 8-core processor and a Radeon RX 460 Graphics card. I am currently running crgsim instruments that I downloaded from this site on my old 32-bit computer.

I am building a 777 full cockpit with my new setup but found that FSUIPC will not work with Windows 64-Bit OS. Crgsim requires FSUIPC to interface. So it looks like if I am to use crgsim in will have to go back to Win 7 32-Bit. I understand that 32-bit programs will use a max of 4GB. So can I assume that the other 8GB can be used in other applications besides FSX such as crgsim or am I out of luck. Any advice would be appreciated..

I use FSUIPC on Windows 7 64. I think what is said is that the program FSUIPC is 32 bit coded which will still run in a 64 bit system. In fact, all 32 bit software will run in a 64 bit system. There are actually two program files folders for this. The x86 folder which is for 32 bit applications and just the programs folder for 64 bit applications.

Due note that you should install FS into the root of C drive outside of the programs folder otherwise you'll get issues.

This is the message I get then the installation crashes:

INSTALLATION FOR FSX-SE

Setup Path ="C\Program Files[x86]/Steam\steamapps\commom\FSX"

Checking version of the FSX-SE EXE:

...Version 10.0.63003.0 [Need at least 10.0.62607.0]

!!Warning!! This version of FSX-SE is later than any known by this FSUIPC

There may be problems. Please check for a later version of FSUIPC

Checking compatibility with installed SimConnect

INSTALLATION FOR FSX-SE

Are you trying to install the latest version from the FSUIPC website?

Interesting that you are using brand new hardware that is obviously not optimized for an old and obsolete operating system. There are no issues using FSX and even FS2004 with Windows 10.

Just saying..

Edited by zswobbie1

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Interesting that you are using brand new hardware that is obviously not optimized for an old and obsolete operating system. There are no issues using FSX and even FS2004 with Windows 10.

Just saying..

Really?

The part about the fact using an unsupported operating system..

“Windows 7 was designed nearly 10 years ago before any x86/x64 SOCs existed. For Windows 7 to run on any modern silicon, device drivers and firmware need to emulate Windows 7’s expectations for interrupt processing, bus support, and power states—which is challenging for WiFi, graphics, security, and more. As partners make customizations to legacy device drivers, services, and firmware settings, customers are likely to see regressions with Windows 7 ongoing servicing.“

As far as the 'No issue' comment, yes, no issues at all, & I have multiple issues of FS2004 as well as a P3D install.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

INSTALLATION FOR FSX-SE

If you're running FSX:SE in Beta mode you may have issues with FSUIPC and other add-on programs.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I think the Beta mode may be the issue.. I have two different machines. One that has Win 7 32-Bit and just plain FSX (None SE). Older machine and it runs fine with no issues. I wanted more horsepower so I bought Win 7 64-Bit, a new motherboard (ASUS) an SSD, an AMD 4Ghz procesor, a Radeon 4GB Video card and 12GB Ram. So it is hardly outdated. Plus I just got a notification the FSX-SE will no longer run on Win 10. I removed the Beta mode on FSX-SE but still got the error.

I am thinking about uninstalling FSX-SE and going back to plain old FSX. Kinda hate to as I have a lot of aircraft and scenery.. According to what I have seen on Youtube FSX-SE deals with VAS better than FSX. What do you think I should do? Go back to FSX? Is there a notable difference?

Plus I just got a notification the FSX-SE will no longer run on Win 10. I removed the Beta mode on FSX-SE but still got the error.

Where did you get the notification from? I'm running FSX-SE beta and non-beta without any problems on my Win10 laptop.

That's a user's thread from 2017, not an official notification - FSX:SE will run fine on Windows 10.

To check your FSX:SE installation, see this thread:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/1640918469755277021/

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Win 7 will always be the best OS to use for FS.

Ah, I'd hazard a guess and say XP which was out when both FS2004 and FSX were made. But I'm not going XP just for a Sim. Since 7 works for me that's all I care about. Though not flawless. Like the white space trick crap with adding scenery to the addons folder or having to run in compatible mode. Then for me, once I launch FSX, explorer goes into classic color mode until I exit the Sim. Not a big deal, but it seems quite apparent that XP would be the OS of choice to run FS2004 or FSX.

Now granted when the new Sim comes out I'll be running 10. That's if I like the new Sim and see all the reviews. Plus I'm going to strip the hell out of the 10 ISO, run Pfsense and monitor my network with a plunder bug. LOL

I actually don't have to click in a white space for adding scenery to the addons folder. I use a program now called Scenery Config Editor and just add and activate in there.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

Ah, I'd hazard a guess and say XP which was out when both FS2004 and FSX were made. But I'm not going XP just for a Sim. Since 7 works for me that's all I care about. Though not flawless. Like the white space trick crap with adding scenery to the addons folder or having to run in compatible mode. Then for me, once I launch FSX, explorer goes into classic color mode until I exit the Sim. Not a big deal, but it seems quite apparent that XP would be the OS of choice to run FS2004 or FSX.

Now granted when the new Sim comes out I'll be running 10. That's if I like the new Sim and see all the reviews. Plus I'm going to strip the hell out of the 10 ISO, run Pfsense and monitor my network with a plunder bug. LOL

I actually don't have to click in a white space for adding scenery to the addons folder. I use a program now called Scenery Config Editor and just add and activate in there.

I wouldn't agree with XP being best. Despite FS being an XP program, a Win 7 system gives you the most flexible offering overall for running FS. Almost everything works with it. Newer add-ons don't have XP support so may not run at all. Then there are the hardware limitations of XP and software limitations. Win 7 is ideal for running FS today. You shouldn't have to run FS in compatibility modes for Win 7 or Win 10.

Scenery Config Editor fixes all the white space issues and even if the built-in scenery manager worked perfectly, SCE kills it for flexibility and ease of use.

I am running Win 10 now. Forced too by a new system as Win 7 won't work and I've already found a couple of issues after running only the one aircraft. May or may not be possible to resolve and find a workaround. Haven't had time to really fiddle around.

The new MSFS, yeah, you might want to wait till after release. I think 3 years from now would be the earliest I could see myself switching. I'm also probably the one who has least faith in the new sim so atm I don't see myself leaving FS9 until I have a 6GHz CPU for FSX. I'll be happy to be surprised on MSFS and eat my words but I'm expecting to be more along the lines of, "I told you so!" :D

Mark Daniels

You more than likely won't need a 6 GHz CPU as the new Sim will take advantage of multi thread capability unlike its predecessors.

I meant I want 6Ghz before I switch to FSX from FS9!

The new MSFS will likely require a cheaper CPU than FSX for the reasons you mentioned.

Mark Daniels

I have to say that I did like XP better than any other OS. Back in the good old days when I was running FS 2004 I felt the quality was better. The aircraft seemed do have more bells and whistles.. I was really into tubeliners and there were some great sound effects, especially with the airbus collection. I reluctantly went to Win7 and it was just OK in my book.

I am not a fan of Windows 10 in any manner. My wife has one desktop, a surface pro and a laptop all with Win 10. I can't get used to it and she fights with all of them on occasion. Since I went back to FSX SP2 on Win7 64-Bit I am a happy camper. Scenery looks better, frame rates are better and since I have an SSD it loads in less than 20-seconds. Beats the heck out of Steam edition. So I'm staying with Win7 as long as I can.. I don't think I'll be going to FS-2020 since I hear it will be subscription and only runs on win10. What say ye?

I'm sure the Sim that is now coming out will work as intended with Win 10. As for FS2004 or FSX, those were made for XP so it's natural that they will run better in that OS. Of course they can run in Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and now 10, but YMMV and with 10 you have to do things to get the Sims to work. I don't know what all that entangles other than you have to install DX 9 as Win 10 apparently doesn't have it and the Sim needs it.

Also, with Vista on up you don't want to install the Sim to the programs folder as that is a protected folder by the OS and can give you issues. Instead, install to the root of C:\\ drive.

So I'm staying with Win7 as long as I can.. I don't think I'll be going to FS-2020 since I hear it will be subscription and only runs on win10. What say ye?

Win 10 only and some form of payment to get the most out of MSFS is a certainty. It’s the way things are going with games, Win 10 and software. They want you to keep paying and upgrading.

Mark Daniels

Ah, I'd hazard a guess and say XP which was out when both FS2004 and FSX were made.

Think I'm going to make an executive decision and go to XP for FS9. I'm happy already just thinking about it!

If it was FSX I was installing, I'd go with Win 7 because of the more modern add-ons that may not work properly under Win XP.

For FS9, Win XP should work great. I had to check iFly compatibility but says it's Win XP compatible so everything should be fine. Means I also get back an add-on or two I lost under Win 7.

As for Win 10, the pain is not for me!

FS9 + Win 10 = Goodbye!!! haha

Mark Daniels