Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Question

1. Default Graphics Question

Hi Gang - quick question. I odten use my TDS Boeing 787. IMO, it's the most realistic freeware plane there is. A comparison of it and a photo of the real deal is just amazing. BUT, I do notice that when I switch from cockpit view to window view or spot view, it takes a second or two for the textures to load. For example, the engine in wing view will be greyed out when I toggle back to it from cockpit view, or in spot view it'll take a second or two to load the full fuselage textures. Not a big deal, but what's interesting is that on my Overland aircraft (777 or A320s for example), there is not that hesitancy to load textures. They pop immediately. I have a i7 computer and a strong graphics card. This leads me to believe that there must be more detail in the TDS textures than the Overland. BUT, its not like Overland textures aren't great. They are. Equally as good. So curious as to why the difference.

Are they both the same format, IE DTX or BMP, just a thought?

Col.

There are at least two things that will determine loading times - the format of the bitmaps (888 32 bit textures are probably the slowest to load, I assume) and the size (the larger the slower). Also, it depends on the capability of your video card - a faster card will, well, be faster!
    Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

4. Default

Hello
    It could be your aircraft textures are 32bit (highest quality but may cause the very problem you are experiencing especially on older or possibly lower spec pcs.
    I used to get the very same issue myself.
    The solution I found is a freeware program called 'convimx' this is a texture editing program that allows you convert 32bit textures to a lower quality DXT3 format.
    Don't be put of by my describing lower texture quality in dxt3 format.
    After converting textures from 32bit to dxt3 I don't really notice any discernible loss of quality to an aircrafts paint.....But the good news !you should see a big difference in the speed of texture redrawing and there should be no lag no grey textures before as you pan around.

Hope this lot makes some sense.
    PS to check the type of textures your aircraft of choice is using ,simply locate its texture folder open it hover your mouse pointer on the individual texture files and it should display which texture format is in use .
    I might have made this whole process sound a lot more difficult than it actually is, but really isn't.
    PS there are other texture altering programs out there , but the beauty of Convimx is that it will alter all the aircrafts textures in one operation, some of the others will only do one file at a time which is rather a slow operation.

Cheers hope this is of some use ,Convimx should significantly reduce ,or remove completely any lag issues that you describe in your post .

Cheers Andy

5. Default

I have found there appears to be some sort of bug in FS9 which can affect aircraft texture loading times.
    Do you have multiple livery/texture folders for your 787 or do you just run one livery/texture folder all the time? If you use multiple liveries, are all liveries slow to load?
    Mark Daniels

Hey Guys,

I've been having this same problem far as long as I can remember. However, it's my theory that when you switch from cockpit view to spot plane view, very many, e.g. ground, sky and cloud textures, suddenly need to be displayed and only after those are done are the aircraft's textures given the chance to be displayed on top of the rest, at least that's what it seems.
    "Heavy" aircraft textures also do seem to play a roll, so all my flyable aircraft textures have been converted to DXT3 without mips and this does seem to help ...... but only a little.

Hans

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hjwalter View Post
    Hey Guys,

I've been having this same problem far as long as I can remember. However, it's my theory that when you switch from cockpit view to spot plane view, very many, e.g. ground, sky and cloud textures, suddenly need to be displayed and only after those are done are the aircraft's textures given the chance to be displayed on top of the rest, at least that's what it seems.
    "Heavy" aircraft textures also do seem to play a roll, so all my flyable aircraft textures have been converted to DXT3 without mips and this does seem to help ...... but only a little.

Hans
    If you change from cockpit view to external view, do you have the aircraft half covered in a texture and it takes a moment or two for the other half to fill in?
    Is this happening with all your aircraft and all your liveries?
    Do you have an aircraft with just a single livery installed that this is happening too?

I'm asking all these questions because I am quite certain this in many cases is a bug.
    Last edited by Skywatcher12; 12-14-2019 at 04:48 PM.
    Mark Daniels

Hey there Mark,

With me it's exactly as you describe but there's a great positive difference if the background (ground) scenery is default or addon. I would want to suggest that you try to temporarily de-activate any mesh, LC or other background scenery, then fly the same route and when about in the same area as you previously were, you (test) switch from cockpit- to external view and report any aircraft texture loading delay differences. Also please see to it that all your aircraft's textures are DXT3. Mips are not necessary because you never externally view flyable aircraft from large and/or varying distances, like you do with e.g. AI aircraft and scenery in general.

The effect of "heavy" background scenery can also be demonstrated by slewing at maximum slew speed across quite some distance in external view. You will notice that towards the end of your slew the background scenery will be blurry but will become normal again after a few seconds, depending on the power of your rig. This is because FS9 itself and/or your graphics card, cannot keep up with correctly rendering the scenery as you (speed) slew over it. It needs some time to catch up, so to speak.

Hope this helps.

Hans

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hjwalter View Post
    Hey there Mark,

With me it's exactly as you describe but there's a great positive difference if the background (ground) scenery is default or addon. I would want to suggest that you try to temporarily de-activate any mesh, LC or other background scenery, then fly the same route and when about in the same area as you previously were, you (test) switch from cockpit- to external view and report any aircraft texture loading delay differences. Also please see to it that all your aircraft's textures are DXT3. Mips are not necessary because you never externally view flyable aircraft from large and/or varying distances, like you do with e.g. AI aircraft and scenery in general.

The effect of "heavy" background scenery can also be demonstrated by slewing at maximum slew speed across quite some distance in external view. You will notice that towards the end of your slew the background scenery will be blurry but will become normal again after a few seconds, depending on the power of your rig. This is because FS9 itself and/or your graphics card, cannot keep up with correctly rendering the scenery as you (speed) slew over it. It needs some time to catch up, so to speak.

Hope this helps.

Hans
    Hi Hans,

No, it's an undiscovered bug. What you are suggesting is true to a point and on lesser PC's. I have found you can have fast loading aircraft textures, then at some point, maybe weeks, maybe months, BOOM, suddenly you get the slow loading textures I described. Same hardware, same scenery files, same everything, the loading just suddenly becomes slow and stays slow.
    I have then found a fix to get the textures loading quickly again without making any change or converting of the texture files themselves. Most modern PC's should comfortably be able to load any aircraft textures quickly even 32bit textures. T'is a bug.
    I want to get some more information and do some more testing before I post any fixes to make sure the fix will work for everyone.
    Mark Daniels

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher12 View Post
    I have then found a fix to get the textures loading quickly again without making any change or converting of the texture files themselves. Most modern PC's should comfortably be able to load any aircraft textures quickly even 32bit textures. T'is a bug.
    I want to get some more information and do some more testing before I post any fixes to make sure the fix will work for everyone.
    Please, keep us informed. Maybe I'll end up reinstalling FS9 in my new laptop.
    Best regards,
    Luis Hern√°ndez

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast