Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gamespot Estimates System Specs

Blog Entries

Default Gamespot Estimates System Specs

Gamespot has just posted an interesting article that relates to the new MFS, though it's actually just about Xbox:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xb.../1100-6466640/

Go to the end of the article and look at the new Xbox console system specs. Since MFS will run on Xbox as well as PC, this would give an idea of what sort of power the new sim will require.

Also interesting that the more powerful new Xbox is estimated to cost $500. What would a PC with the same specs cost? I'm sure a whole lot more... Would this mean buying an Xbox just to flightsim would make more sense than a PC upgrade?

Nels, I've been looking into this myself over the last week or two and personally I'll be going for the XBox. I know that more powerful components are available for PC's, but that's mainly because PC's have much more to do than consoles, which are purely media players. Apparently, a more powerful CPU in a console would only generate unwanted heat and have no actual game performance benefit. Back in 2002 I bought FS2002 and, because it was a PC title, I bought a PC. Next year when I buy MFS, because it'll be an XBox title, I'll buy an XBox.
    Here's an article which even gives benchmark results for the Project Scarlett's new SoC CPU: https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/xbox-project-scarlett
    Last edited by tiger1962; 10-22-2019 at 02:12 PM.
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz OC'd 4.2GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 16Gb 3500MHz Ram, 1TB & 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case, CH Yoke & Pedals, Asus K272HL 27" Monitor, Windows 7 x64

The upcoming Xbox will likely be the best option for many people, especially those on a budget and those that simply don't want to mess around with all the other issues that are part of using a PC. This is a big part of why consoles took off with the original Xbox and PS3 many years ago.

Other other hand, we don't know how similar or different the sim will be between the two platforms. For example, historically the Xbox has been a much more locked down platform and it usually isn't possible to install mods/add-ons/DLC from third party websites, like Flightsim.com. All add-ons have to go through the game developer and Xbox store. There may also be restrictions on the quality of scenery and more limited space for a local cache for offline flying.

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    Other other hand, we don't know how similar or different the sim will be between the two platforms. For example, historically the Xbox has been a much more locked down platform and it usually isn't possible to install mods/add-ons/DLC from third party websites, like Flightsim.com. All add-ons have to go through the game developer and Xbox store. There may also be restrictions on the quality of scenery and more limited space for a local cache for offline flying.
    This is true; the developers have confirmed that third party add-ons will be available from third-party websites, but they haven't mentioned that they'll be exclusive to PC users.
    The XBox Project Scarlett will also have a 1TB next-generation SSD, which won't be cluttered up with an OS, so it'll all be available for storage.
    There are also hundreds of existing XBox Digital titles which can be accessed already from XBox or other Windows 10 devices, including PC's, which appear to have identical features and content cross-platform.
    If MFS were to be released with features and content which were exclusive to PC users, the likely reaction from XBox users would be outrage, along with ridicule from the competition and the world's press - it would be a disaster for XBox and Microsoft.
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz OC'd 4.2GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 16Gb 3500MHz Ram, 1TB & 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case, CH Yoke & Pedals, Asus K272HL 27" Monitor, Windows 7 x64

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    There are also hundreds of existing XBox Digital titles which can be accessed already from XBox or other Windows 10 devices, including PC's, which appear to have identical features and content cross-platform.
    If MFS were to be released with features and content which were exclusive to PC users, the likely reaction from XBox users would be outrage, along with ridicule from the competition and the world's press - it would be a disaster for XBox and Microsoft.
    This isn't true at all. There are many games where the PC version does have content or features that are not available on the Xbox One side. A common one is higher resolution textures and more detailed 3D models for PCs because they can handle them, while the Xbox one simply can't and there is no outrage at all. See this article about GTA V, for one example. The only way there would be outrage was if the Xbox Scarlett version was artificially handicapped, and I don't see them doing this at all. However, we don't know what it will take to run the sim on a PC yet, or what the Xbox version will be like. Asobo have said they're still focusing on the PC version and haven't put much into the Xbox side yet.

This isn't true at all. There are many games where the PC version does have content or features that are not available on the Xbox One side. A common one is higher resolution textures and more detailed 3D models for PCs because they can handle them, while the Xbox one simply can't and there is no outrage at all. See this article about GTA V, for one example.
    Grand Theft Auto isn't published by XBox Game Studios, hence no outrage from XBox users.
    All mobile and console games are developed on PC, before being re-compiled into the final mobile or console format(s) required, so Asobo will be concentrating on the PC version for some time! Bear in mind that the developers are technical people, and what they've told us so far is technically the truth but not necessarily the whole truth.
    What was reported by Techradar here https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/xbox-project-scarlett states the performance target for Project Scarlett is 120mhz refresh rate at 8k resolution. The performance target for the first games to be launched on Project Scarlett is 60mhz at 4k, so it looks like Project Scarlett will absolutely MONSTER the new flight sim, and any HDR texture or detail updates, for the foreseeable future.

Grand Theft Auto isn't published by XBox Game Studios, hence no outrage from XBox users.
    Doesn't matter if it was a Microsoft studio or not, there was never outrage when the PC version had more than the Xbox because PCs were far more powerful and open. At the moment we can only wait to see what the new Xbox looks like. Keep in mind too that the Xbox hardware doesn't change very often after release while the PC side will keep getting more powerful. If the PC version of the sim doesn't grow with the hardware, this is where I would expect to see so called outrage. They have said this is a sim for the next ten years, so I would expect it to keep up with new hardware over that period.

If the PC version of the sim doesn't grow with the hardware, this is where I would expect to see so called outrage. They have said this is a sim for the next ten years, so I would expect it to keep up with new hardware over that period.
    There won't be a PC version. There'll be the option to access the sim from a Windows 10 PC, which will be the same sim that can be accessed from an XBox Project Scarlett.
    PC hardware is falling behind the cutting edge already and we have to face the possibility that it may never catch up, whereas the XBox Project Scarlett is expected to be more than capable for the next 7 years when it'll simply be replaced by an even more powerful XBox.

There won't be a PC version. There'll be the option to access the sim from a Windows 10 PC, which will be the same sim that can be accessed from an XBox Project Scarlett.
    PC hardware is falling behind the cutting edge already and we have to face the possibility that it may never catch up, whereas the XBox Project Scarlett is expected to be more than capable for the next 7 years when it'll simply be replaced by an even more powerful XBox.
    Sorry, going to have to completely disagree with all of that. Asobo have been pretty clear about there being two versions, the first for the PC and the second at some later point for the Xbox. As for hardware, the PC is not falling behind by any means at all. You're going to have to provide some pretty extraordinary evidence to back that up. The CPUs and GPUs available on the PC side will keep developing while the Xbox will be fixed.

As for hardware, the PC is not falling behind by any means at all. You're going to have to provide some pretty extraordinary evidence to back that up.
    dogdish's post in this forum "Intel's CPU/ Chipset roadmap around FS 2020 release" shows that their 2020 CPU will use GDDR4 memory, and won't be getting GDDR5 until 2021 & 2022:
    https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/attac...8&d=1571833059
    The leaked benchmark results in the Techradar article https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/xbox-project-scarlett state that the AMD Flute CPU for the 2020 XBox Project Scarlett will use GDDR6 memory.
    It's happening already.
    Last edited by tiger1962; 10-23-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast