Flight Sims

Absolutely, at this point in time FSX is by far the best in my opinion, based on over 35 years of (I have been flightsimming going back to FS II). It has its competitors, but in my view none come close. One quibble however -- I wince when I hear FSX described as a game, because to me it is (and was designed to be) a serious attempt to simulate as closely as possible actual flight on a personal computer. For games, go to an arcade and drop in quarters.

Is MS fsx still the best/most realistic flight simulator as a computer game? (not looking for a $17,000 unit for commercial training!)

You're asking in an FSX forum, so don't expect an unbiased answer! But no, obviously. There are two main contenders these days, Prepar3D v4 and X-Plane 11. One of these is an evolution of FSX but has had years of extra development by Lockheed Martin. Each has its pros and cons, so it's hard to make an empirical comparison without knowing what's important to you.

I predict you will now see a long conversation with endless quibbling about what 'best/most realistic' means ;)

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

Here comes a curved ball...

Have a look at FlightGear from https://www.flightgear.org/

It's free & gets updated on a regular basis. It has a great selection of aircraft & scenery, that can be download in game! It has a most amazing Shape Shuttle thats better than anything else out there.

The scenery is actually better than a lot of paywre I've seen.

As I said, it's all free & worthy of looking at.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Is MS fsx still the best/most realistic flight simulator as a computer game? (not looking for a $17,000 unit for commercial training!)

No. FSX hasn't been `the best` of anything for the last decade...

Better than some, but far from being the most realistic.

Wait until next year.