Flight1 Mustang prop torque

stinger2k2

Hi all,

My 93 yr old father in law asked me to buy him the Flight1 Mustang for FSX.

After installation he is not happy because the aircraft gradually turns to the right if

flown hands-off-the-stick. I assumed that this is due to prop torque so i went into

the realism settings and turned it off. Trouble is that it still gradually turns right.

I checked his stick calibration which is fine and he doesn't have this problem with

other aircraft.

My question...Is there a ssetting in the aircraft.cfg that I can alter to cure this problem?

All thoughts gratefully recieved

Stinger

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

If there's a prop sync switch anywhere, switch it on. If not, or if that doesn't help, check the flight tuning, fuel and weight and balance sections in the aircraft.cfg for any rudder trim bias, the right wing tank further out than the left, or more payload on the right side than the left.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Having read Nels Anderson's review of this aircraft where this problem is not mentioned, then maybe you should consider checking the fuel balance & trimming the aircraft to keep it straight & level because as you have already mentioned this could be the result of prop torque (P-Factor) especially as the P-51D has a Packard V-1650-7 Merlin producing 1315hp.

Having read Nels Anderson's review of this aircraft where this problem is not mentioned, then maybe you should consider checking the fuel balance & trimming the aircraft to keep it straight & level because as you have already mentioned this could be the result of prop torque (P-Factor) especially as the P-51D has a Packard V-1650-7 Merlin producing 1315hp.
Yes, as you say, i suspect that this is the true behaviour of the aircraft and as such Nels wouldn't have raised it as a problem. In the past where i have experienced this , often in wwII warbirds, it can be negated by turning off the prop torque in the realism settings. However in this case it seems to have no effect.

As a temporary measure i have set up a couple of aileron trim switches on his joystick but he didn't seem too happy about having to constantly adjust that (he is 93 after all [emoji4]). That's why I was looking for a more permanent solution.

Thanks for the comments

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

If there's a prop sync switch anywhere, switch it on. If not, or if that doesn't help, check the flight tuning, fuel and weight and balance sections in the aircraft.cfg for any rudder trim bias, the right wing tank further out than the left, or more payload on the right side than the left.
Maby thanks for the suggestion , I'll get him to look for a prop sync switch.

Cheers

Stinger

Maby thanks for the suggestion , I'll get him to look for a prop sync switch.

Cheers

Stinger

What is the rudder trim set to on take-off? If the rudder trim is not set that could be the issue, right there.

Your 93 year old FIL is subject to the exact-same requirements as any other simmer - fly it right and it responds right.

Correct choice of trims, correct power settings, CofG set correctly and V-speeds understand and adhered to are all aspects to be adhered to.

I would never encourage any non-pilot of 93 to choose the Mustang as a simmer choice - Not without some practice on other aircraft first.

I would never encourage any non-pilot of 93 to choose the Mustang as a simmer choice - Not without some practice on other aircraft first.

My FIL has been simming since FS for Windows 95 so he has tried most aircraft,

However he is not very adept at delving deeper when things aren't right.

Unfortunately he lives 60 miles away so i am only able to help when i visit.

When i installed the aircraft the installer gives a choice of languages. I chose English but for some reason the manual is in German.

I might have to try a re-install when i next visit. That way we can check the correct rudder settings etc, assuming it is in the manual of course.

Regards

Stinger

I don't know if its in the manual - long ago gave up on Flight One as a developer since they failed to grasp the nettle of P3D.

Aeroplane Heaven were the developers of the Flight One Mustang, and they can be a bit `hit or miss`in the flight modelling stakes - they usually take several iterations to get everything right. But as far as I know the Mustang was only on version V1.2, so it could still be a long way from accurate.

But the manual IS in English..!