Flight Landing Characteristics Where do the come from 738

Complicated Question but hopefully a Simple Answer -

Flying VA & Recording Vertical Speed Landing in default or other 738 aircraft. Some record lower VS rates. Others are very high even though the landings of two separate aircraft were nearly identical. For instance, one 738 Vertical Speed Landing records -3 and a different 738 records -190. Big difference.

Does the Aircraft get it's Landing Characteristics from the Files within the Model Folder OR from the Aircraft.cfg?

If it's in the Aircraft.cfg code, then what lines do I copy over?

If it's the Model Folder, can I just copy and paste that folder from a 738 aircraft that records smoother more accurate VS Rates?

Trying to resolve this with a simple solution. Thanks

I'm not sure exactly what you're calling the "Landing Characteristics" but aircraft handling in general is from the .air file and the aircraft.cfg file combined. The model files are more to do with visual. And a VA (that is, multiplayer mode) shouldn't have anything to do with it, one way or the other.

As to what to copy, you can edit the .air file with a program called AirEd and you can, of course, use a text editor to edit the aircraft.cfg file. I'm not clear on what you expect to be able to copy, though.

The vertical speed on landing will vary, depending on what the pilot and weather (including winds and turbulence) are doing at any given instant (it'll often be different from one moment to another), or if on autopilot will vary depending on the glideslope angle, winds/weather or other factors at different airports or other weather conditions. It's not something that is locked in every single time at the same figure.

I think there's more complication than you realize in this question. Perhaps a clarification of what you're actually trying to achieve would help get a better answer.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Yes, there is complication for sure. What I'm trying to achieve is landing Vertical Speeds being somewhat consistent from the default 738 to a 738 I download. It seems I can float one 738 in and land like a feather with a Vertical Speed Landing Rate of -3fpm and basically the same landing with another 738 and the Vertical Speed Landing Rate is -200fpm. Just trying to get consistency with similar models without having to fly the same 738 all the time to achieve low VS Rates. Some other than Default 738's are better than others & textures are not available for those. I guess I'm trying to complicate things more than need be but there must be a simple way of achieving this. Thanks

NOTE: Testing conditions were the same - Zero wind, same airport, stick & rudder. VA = Virtual Airline and is not multiplayer mode.

It has nothing to do with air file or aircraft.cfg file. The landing speed depends on how well you land. With any one plane, (default 737 just as example), it will be different on every landing.

Whether or not the landing is good depends on the pilot.

(PS: low vs does not automatically mean good).

Edited by il88pp
[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The people that build the real airplanes KNOW that the vertical speed at which you land will vary and have designed the landing gear and struture to 'take' (absorb) that shock that it might be subjected to. So you are worrying too much. A landing at -3 fps is perfect and will be VERY hard to duplicate at any time in the future. So essentially we assume you are just bragging and so we can't 'help' you other then to say 'keep up the good work and thanks for sharing'. You greased THAT landing. Good luck on the next one (ha). Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

The people that build the real airplanes KNOW that the vertical speed at which you land will vary and have designed the landing gear and struture to 'take' (absorb) that shock that it might be subjected to. So you are worrying too much. A landing at -3 fps is perfect and will be VERY hard to duplicate at any time in the future. So essentially we assume you are just bragging and so we can't 'help' you other then to say 'keep up the good work and thanks for sharing'. You greased THAT landing. Good luck on the next one (ha). Cheers.

Chuck B

Napamule

You don't say WHO is gauging your landing? As Napamule says, it's only good for bragging rights and in any case, it varies according to weight, wind and airport characteristics, along with aircraft setup - Even among the same aircraft on the same day.

You're overthinking this. Trying to get a `fps` reading on a touchdown is fruitless and pointless, your aim should be more about consistency and understanding how forces and weights will impact on that consistency.

You won't find that answer in software you will find the answer in understanding HOW those forces are likely to impact on the landing, and handling the aircraft accordingly. With practice, you should even be able to handle the variances between aircraft, no matter how `similar` they appear...