FSX will not let me save an edited CFG file and save it.

Assuming that you are doing this while FSX is not running, I suspect you installed FSX in the default folder, where the system won't let you right. Installation in C:/ or D:/ will give you that control.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Not actually FSX preventing you from editing. It's Windows UAC (User Account Control).

You can try...

To turn off UAC:

Click the Start menu. In the search field type UAC.

Click "Change User Account Control settings."

In the window that comes up, move the slider down to "Never Notify."

Click OK and then restart the computer.

Or option b...

Right click Notepad and "Run As Administrator". Then open the file you are trying to edit, and you should be able to save now.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I have sometimes experienced this problem. I don't know about the remedies suggested above but what I do is to: a) make a copy of any cfg file from any aircraft model which is editable, and delete all the information that is in it (I always have one on stand-by) b) copy all the information from the uneditable file into the editable file, and save your original as a back-up with a new name c) make any changes you want to make in the editable file d) cut and paste the edited file back into your aircraft model. Seems to work for me.
My rig specs: ASUS P8Z77-V Rev3 IZ77 4D3 LGA1155; Intel Core I7 3770K Ivy Bridge3 5gHz/8Mo; SSD 500Go Agility3; DD SATA-III, 1To, 7200T, 64Mo cache; DDRAM III PC-12800, 2 x 4 Go; NVidia 1060GTX TI SC 6Gb 1563-E3 (not over-clocked); Power supply - 850W Corsair HX850; Windows 7 Pro 64bits, FSX Gold (SP1+2, Acceleration).

If the answer to CRJ's two questions is yes, then that is behavior from the OS as designed, unfortunately (dumbasses at Microsoft), and it is your root cause.

You basically have 2 choices:

1. Uninstall FSX and reinstall it somewhere OUTSIDE the scope of the OS, for example to C:\FSX or to a different drive if you have one,

or, if that is not possible, then

2. Turn UAC off.

Mine is installed to my F: drive, and I have also turned the irritant UAC off.

Many people would recommend that you do not turn UAC off (it's there for your protection, supposedly), but personally I find that it is doing nothing for me except getting in the way of what I want to do. But I will emphasize that this is my very personal view.

Jorgen

Winblows 10 by chance? Installed to the programs folder?

The version of Windows used is irrelevant as it can happen with all OSs that have UAC (i.e. 7, 8, Vista and 10).

A further solution to those posted by Jorgen in post #7, especially if you don't want to re-install or turn off UAC, is to take ownership of the FSX folder structure.

Google the phrase How to take ownership of a folder in Win * - substitute the * for the appropriate Win version.

Regards

Brian

Archived