Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ways to increase FPS in FSX???

Blog Entries

Default Ways to increase FPS in FSX???

Hey flight simmers,
    As you can probably tell from the title, I'm looking to increase the frame rate in FSX:SE. I'll SOMETIMES get 20-25 FPS (only in the air) but again, only in the air. And even in the air, it'll sometimes drop from 5-15 FPS, which in my opinion, is stuttery. Then on the ground...I'll get 13-14 FPS MAX, sometimes dropping to 9,5, even 4. I've tweaked my fsx.cfg with all the popular tweaks, I'm running FSX on a Win10 (but I run it in WinXP SP3 compatibility mode) All my settings are on Med Low except for scenery (High) and I don't even have that many add-ons. I don't have ORBX, REX, or PMDG stuff, just all the default FSX:SE aircraft and a FEW freeware.
    So what do I do?
    TheAviationEnthusiast

Blog Entries

FYI, when I said I run it in XP SP3 compatibility mode, I meant I run FSX in that compatibility mode, not everything.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAviationEnthusiast View Post
    FYI, when I said I run it in XP SP3 compatibility mode, I meant I run FSX in that compatibility mode, not everything.
    Uhm....why are you running in Win XP compatibility mode? I am using a Win XP computer and it only allows for 2 GB of physical memory. Could that be your problem?
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

Emachines T3418 AMD 3400+ processor 2GHZ/256KB L2 Cashe 2Gig Ram 160Gig HDD NVidia GEForce 6100 GPU Running WinXP Home Can't believe it still works! Running FSX Standard with SP1 and SP2

Blog Entries

I run it in that mode because FSX was specifically made for those 2006 computers. Should I run it in a different compatibility mode?

5. Default

You should not run fsx in compatibility mode.

Other people's tweaks will be set for your computer. Remove those and just use the menu's in fsx to adjust settings. (in fsx with service packs most tweaks are not needed and can even cause issues. There's only about 3 'tweaks' that make any sense. SE has the accel service pack included already.)

also with a medium processor you will get medium frame rates. So what hardware do you have?

And, scenery detail slider ads detailed buildings at airports and in cities. Slowing fps. Don't set that to the highest settings.

Complex models near you slow fps. Default airport buildings are not that detailed. But aircraft around you are. Aircrafts at the gates directly next to you would cause very low fps. Passing aircraft and vehicles slow the fps while passing. Slightly lower traffic settings can give much better fps.

You can set the fps target number lower in settings while you are on ground help keep things smooth.

Also don't set fps to unlimited in flight. If fps is 20-25 most of the time, set fps to 25. Test for a few or so flights. See if fps stays a steady 25 in flight. -If it drops lower often, set the target a little lower. (or change setting so the fps does stay a constant 25)

If is always trying to run at unlimited frame rate the pc runs full blast all the time. The cpu gets very hot, and especially the graphics card does. At some point it gets too hot, and the frame save then starts going down. It also starts varying more. 10fps one moment 20 the next. Causing stutters.
    But set at 25 instead of unlimited, the pc can breathe every once in a while. Things keep running smoothly and at relatively constant 25. (except at large and busy airports.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by il88pp View Post
    You should not run fsx in compatibility mode.

Other people's tweaks will be set for your computer. Remove those and just use the menu's in fsx to adjust settings. (in fsx with service packs most tweaks are not needed and can even cause issues. There's only about 3 'tweaks' that make any sense. SE has the accel service pack included already.)

also with a medium processor you will get medium frame rates. So what hardware do you have?

And, scenery detail slider ads detailed buildings at airports and in cities. Slowing fps. Don't set that to the highest settings.

Complex models near you slow fps. Default airport buildings are not that detailed. But aircraft around you are. Aircrafts at the gates directly next to you would cause very low fps. Passing aircraft and vehicles slow the fps while passing. Slightly lower traffic settings can give much better fps.

You can set the fps target number lower in settings while you are on ground help keep things smooth.

Also don't set fps to unlimited in flight. If fps is 20-25 most of the time, set fps to 25. Test for a few or so flights. See if fps stays a steady 25 in flight. -If it drops lower often, set the target a little lower. (or change setting so the fps does stay a constant 25)

If is always trying to run at unlimited frame rate the pc runs full blast all the time. The cpu gets very hot, and especially the graphics card does. At some point it gets too hot, and the frame save then starts going down. It also starts varying more. 10fps one moment 20 the next. Causing stutters.
    But set at 25 instead of unlimited, the pc can breathe every once in a while. Things keep running smoothly and at relatively constant 25. (except at large and busy airports.)
    Thanks il88p, did not know that, what I'll do I guess is delete the fsx.cfg (removing all tweaks and generating a new cfg) and I'll set framerate to 15 or 20 or 25 or whatever. My processor is a Celeron something (idk exact make) and I have an intel graphics card. I'll disable compatibility mode too.

TheAviationEnthusiast

Blog Entries

NOTE: I do use World of AI in FSX.

8. Default

I'll be honest, I think in situations like yours why you are even trying to run FSX makes no sense to me.
    You must be running close to a default FSX or with very simple add-ons. You could be running a pimped out FS9 and enjoying much more workable frame rates. Your sim would also look vastly superior.
    I have directly compared default FSX to my pimped out FS9 and the difference is immense. To beat FS9, I would need to add equal quality add-ons to FSX to give it the edge visually. However, then I would have to deal with VAS monitoring which I certainly have no interest in dealing with. Totally takes away my enjoyment of just happily flying and not ever having to worry about FS crashes. If I want to do a 4 hour flight, no probs, 4 hours it will be and I know the 4 hours won't be wasted with a FS crash just as I'm about to finish the flight.

Anyhow, do as you please. Imo, it sounds like you simply don't have enough PC.
    You can keep painfully persisting to try and find an extra frame here and there or the real solution for improvement, go FS9 or buy a much better PC. I don't think you will find any other miracle answers.

Good luck with whatever direction you head.
    Mark Daniels

9. Default

Oh, compat modes, only run them when there is a reason to do so. Running compat modes when there isn't a reason to do so can actually create you problems.
    Mark Daniels

Quote Originally Posted by TheAviationEnthusiast View Post
    Hey flight simmers,
    As you can probably tell from the title, I'm looking to increase the frame rate in FSX:SE. I'll SOMETIMES get 20-25 FPS (only in the air) but again, only in the air. And even in the air, it'll sometimes drop from 5-15 FPS, which in my opinion, is stuttery. Then on the ground...I'll get 13-14 FPS MAX, sometimes dropping to 9,5, even 4. I've tweaked my fsx.cfg with all the popular tweaks, I'm running FSX on a Win10 (but I run it in WinXP SP3 compatibility mode) All my settings are on Med Low except for scenery (High) and I don't even have that many add-ons. I don't have ORBX, REX, or PMDG stuff, just all the default FSX:SE aircraft and a FEW freeware.
    So what do I do?
    TheAviationEnthusiast
    Simple. Buy a faster computer. What are your specs?

It really is as obvious as that. Most of the perceived speed of the game are simply numbers, irrelevant for real gameplay.
    It's not a lightning-fast shoot-em-up, and most tweaks wont work. Why have you applied tweaks? What have you tweaked? Why have you tweaked?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast