What am I forgetting?

Kirk

I had the nicest landing going last night. Light snow, bit of a crosswind, got the centerline where it should be. Descending, descending, slowing, descending, flare and CRASH! I didn't know what happened. Maybe a problem with the sim? I googled "prepar3d good landing but crashed" and nothing was returned. Then it hit me...

I'm flying a new and unfamiliar aircraft - a C210 Centurion. Which has landing gear. Doh!

Prepar3d v4: HP Omen Desktop. Intel Core i7-8700K (6 Core, 3.7GHz), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (11GB dedicated GDDR5X), 16GB RAM, 2TB Hard Drive, 1TB SSD, 512GB SSD, Windows 10.

GUMPF

Gas (Fuel Selector on fullest tank, or both)

Undercarriage (Landing Gear Down)

Mixture (Full rich, if near sea level, otherwise enrichened some from cruise)

Prop (Full Forward)

Flaps (Set as needed)

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

That's a good point. He was probably carrying more than 12"-13" MP, and didn't have full flaps, thus negating the gear warning horn. Kirk, a long drag-it-in approach isn't exactly the best way -- you heard, er, failed to hear, part of the reason why.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Actually I did hear the warning. I thought it was a stall warning, which didn't bother me as I wasn't too far off the ground.
Prepar3d v4: HP Omen Desktop. Intel Core i7-8700K (6 Core, 3.7GHz), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti (11GB dedicated GDDR5X), 16GB RAM, 2TB Hard Drive, 1TB SSD, 512GB SSD, Windows 10.

Maybe you guessed exactly right, Larry. Turns out the warning that I heard wasn't for the missing landing gear but, rather, when I brought the throttle back to idle. I noticed that as I was parking the aircraft. Idle throttle = warning sound.

So, what was meant as a kind of tongue in cheek humorous post has turned into a learning thread. LOL. Thanks, guys!

Idle throttle = warning sound.

Only if the gear is up, I hope, unless you were moving at a pretty good clip while taxiing and heard a stall warning (I've had a couple of FS aircraft do that -- 'taint right).

In the C-210 there should be a gear warning that sounds if the gear is UP, AND the flaps are at full, OR if the throttle is reduced to around 12"-13" MP or less; AND there should be a stall warning if the aircraft is within 5-10 kts of stall speed (depends on how that one is calibrated), gear up (would also get the gear horn unless higher power) OR down.

There should NOT be a horn just because of going to idle, in and of itself.

The two sounds shouldn't be the same, if the developer did it right.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Ahhh. OK. I think it might be a problem then with the aircraft. Now I'm curious so I'll do some testing tonight.

But yeah... while sitting on a taxiway with the throttle at idle there's a distinct warning sound (horn?) but as soon as the throttle is pushed in, even a little, the warning stops.

• 2 weeks later...
We've all been-there-and-done-that. Some of us more than once (or twice).......... :-)
Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

Archived