p3dv3 or FSX which secondary "RETRO" sim to continue with in the future?

gambia

Hi folks,

i use mainly p3dv4 in the future v5 and so on of course.

But my old AI traffic (60´s 70´s 80s 90s) wich took me almost 2 years to make it complex and shiny like it is is not running on 64bits .. as you can imagine because of lack of models.

Appart from that some older airports and airport layouts are also of course not available on the new one. So i have to keep a RETRO SIM :)

Wich one id the best to continue with in the future? p3dv3 or FSX ?

I dont care much about updates but more about stability. my own oppinion would be to continue with p3dv3 instead of FSX.

What do you think?

The most stable sim is FSX.

P3D has already gone through v1, v2, v3 together with various point releases, and is half way through v4 and that only released in May 2017.

FSX has gone through only Service Packs 1 and Part 2 and a combination `Acceleration`. The only other change is to the Steam installation mechanism. Not bad for consistency when the package was released on 13th October 2006.

P3D has already gone through v1, v2, v3 together with various point releases, and is half way through v4 and that only released in May 2017.

FSX has gone through only Service Packs 1 and Part 2 and a combination `Acceleration`. The only other change is to the Steam installation mechanism. Not bad for consistency when the package was released on 13th October 2006.

thank you verry much for that. well i own the steam version to is it to prefer? FSX or FSXSE?? the other points convinced me already :)

thank you verry much for that. well i own the steam version to is it to prefer? FSX or FSXSE?? the other points convinced me already :)

Whichever is cheaper, simply put.

The only currently purchasable version is FSX-Steam, and if you get the timing right you can get it for a tiny outlay. I've seen it on special offer for a fiver.

I don't know that stability has much to do with that (other than in the sense of lack of version change, thus meaning it'll stay the same), since the FSX development stopped due to MS disbanding ACES, the group that did it, and dropping the sim, while P3D still has development and support ongoing.

I can't comment on how stable V4 is, but I've had continuing good luck with V2.5.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I don't know that stability has much to do with that (other than in the sense of lack of version change, thus meaning it'll stay the same), since the FSX development stopped due to MS disbanding ACES, the group that did it, and dropping the sim, while P3D still has development and support ongoing.

I can't comment on how stable V4 is, but I've had continuing good luck with V2.5.

I don't accept anything other than port-over and range and number of addons when talking about `stable`?

P3D v2.5 had no advantages over FSX-SE other then the inherent presentation of graphics. I consider it a `just passing through` version to P3D v3 and then P3D v4.

On that basis I don't consider it stable as, like any other version of P3D, what works today may not tomorrow... and developers are not held to this version or that version.

[quote=mallcott;2073541

P3D v2.5 had no advantages over FSX-SE other then the inherent presentation of graphics. .

Correct. But we are version 4 now, being 64bit. Leaving FSX far behind. There will never be any more updates for FSX while P3D keeps on moving forward.

Once I got P3D v4.2, I never looked back to any 32 bit stuff. Now we are at 4.4 and it keeps getting better. It looks and performs so much better you will ditch your FSX compilation too. I also no longer get CTDs, STDs or anything else. :)

Jack T.

MSI Z370 SLI Plus, i7-9700k, 32 Gb DDR4 3600 MHz memory, PNY RTX 4070Ti

Once I got P3D v4.2, I never looked back to any 32 bit stuff. Now we are at 4.4 and it keeps getting better. It looks and performs so much better you will ditch your FSX compilation too. I also no longer get CTDs, STDs or anything else. :)

But it is not stable when considering version shift. P3D v4.5 and P3D v5 are just around the corner and who knows the impact on version compatibility? I don't and you don't, so you've answered the OP's question, albeit indirectly...

for my personal oppinion i guess i will moove for y retro sim to FSXSE. i think because i once purchased it verry cheap and never used it so far. BUT andu guys know there isalways a big BUT(T) haha will for now also on my older machines stick with p3dv4.3 as it is stable for me. on my newer one i already star mooving forward. p3dv4.4 wich also seems nice and stable. BUTT when 5 iscomming. NAJAAA i dont think i will switch to it that fast at least not before some month has been past

for my personal oppinion i guess i will moove for y retro sim to FSXSE. i think because i once purchased it verry cheap and never used it so far. BUT andu guys know there isalways a big BUT(T) haha will for now also on my older machines stick with p3dv4.3 as it is stable for me. on my newer one i already star mooving forward. p3dv4.4 wich also seems nice and stable. BUTT when 5 iscomming. NAJAAA i dont think i will switch to it that fast at least not before some month has been past

You are immediately limiting yourself in terms of product support. Many P3D addons ONLY support the latest version of the sim - P3D v4.4 at the time of writing.

You're on your own with P3d v4.3...

To get an update in full you will want to install Client, Content and Scenery .msi. Having first uninstalled each in turn from the Apps and Features menu in Win 10.

A simpler solution is just to install Client .msi for P3D4.4. You can read more detail on the installation of P3Dv4.4 here:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6305&t=131645

Please use the official forum for upgrade advice - you will be getting it from the official source.

Archived